Electrical Problem / Help - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Send a message via AIM to drewkbell Send a message via Yahoo to drewkbell
Electrical Problem / Help

This has happened three times now. 2005 Brutale, 3k miles. I rode to dinner about three weeks ago for an hour. When I went to leave, turned the key - no power at all. Started tinkering in the parking lot, checked fuses, it finally got power. Ran fine for three weeks until Thursday. Rode for about one hour, bike was around 190 degrees when I turned it off, went to leave, no power. After about 10 minutes, got power again.

Today, I rode for about 2 hours, sat in traffic for a long while. Temps got up to 236. When I got home I put it in the garage and decided to turn it back on to see if the problem still existed. Low and behold, no power. Now that I was in my garage I could try and troubleshoot. I left the key in the on position with the seats off. While putting something together on my work bench to help my wife, the power just all the sudden came back on after about 15 minutes.

Any ideas on what would cause this? Bad fuse box, what? Any body else with the same problem. I just rode to the store and it started fine both arriving and leaving. Has to be something with heat? Who knows. Keep in mind I am no master mechanic.

- thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 11:31 PM

Hey drewbell. My Brutale is in the shop right now for an apparent bad fuse box. I don't have the details yet, but the mechanic is telling me that this is a known issue with Brutales. The fuse box goes bad and a spark never makes it to the plugs. I have an '04. That's about all I know for now, but can keep you posted as to my progress.
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks -

Let me know how long it takes them to repair it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 04:57 PM

Just throwing my hat in the ring - my Brutale did exactly the same thing (for the first time) on Saturday. Checked the usual suspects then took all the tank bolts off to get at the ECU - tried the key one last time before removing the tank - lo and behold it worked.

Frustrating
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 05:58 PM

Hey Rents. So what does that imply??? Holy Smokes!!...you messed with the tank bolts???, then it worked? What am I missing?
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

I've read up on all the different electrical problems but none seem to match the same scenario we all have. I thought maybe the ignition switch, loose connection, or the service power box. I talked to the local dealership and they said it could just be a fluke. A fluke doesn't happen multiple times. They said I can bring it in and they will check out everything for me. I am going to wait and see if it happens again because I checked all the connections this morning before riding. Made sure everything was seated correctly and all the fuses were seated. Also checked cabling as best I could to make sure everything seemed ok.

I took it out today and rode for nearly an hour and a half. Got it home and it powered right back up with no problems.

I plan on working through the electrical system if/when I get it to happen again at home. I'm about to go on a 7 day motorcycle trip so I hope I can resolve it before then. Or, at the least, it has resolved itself. I love when problems fix themselves.
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 10:15 PM
I used to have an intermittent problem with the injector fuse. Sometimes the fuse would blow. Other times the bike would stop working, and would only work again if i removed and replaced the injector fuse. This would only happen after riding the bike hard on hot days. I think the fuse box tend to get kind of hot - especially the holder for the injector fuse. Over time I think this holder get deformed and the contact between to the fuse becomes unreliable. Also the more times you pull it out and replace it when the metal is hot and soft, the more open and unreliable it gets.

I took some pliers to injector fuse holder and tightened it around the fuse. I haven't had that problem in several months now. I've put 7k miles on the bike this summer. The problem has not happened for the last 4k miles.
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 01:38 AM

Thumbs up My Electrical problems

I have an 04 Brutale which also sometimes refuses to start.It goes through its diagnostics but nothing when I push the start button .It has happened a couple of times.I replaced all the fuses and has since been OK .The I did notice when it failed to go the fuel pump did not prime itself so I believe the fuel pump relay was at fault.The relay I believe is housed just below the fuses down the side of the tank but cannot be seen as they are encased in resin ( god knows why ).I have also been told new improved later model ones are being fitted under warranty ? I am assuming they have relays that can be replaced ? My bike is too old for this to replaced under warranty so plan to bypass the relay too the fuel pump with an auxillary relay .Should be a cheap and effective fix ,if that is in fact the problem .
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbai View Post
I have an 04 Brutale which also sometimes refuses to start.It goes through its diagnostics but nothing when I push the start button .It has happened a couple of times.I replaced all the fuses and has since been OK .The I did notice when it failed to go the fuel pump did not prime itself so I believe the fuel pump relay was at fault.The relay I believe is housed just below the fuses down the side of the tank but cannot be seen as they are encased in resin ( god knows why ).I have also been told new improved later model ones are being fitted under warranty ? I am assuming they have relays that can be replaced ? My bike is too old for this to replaced under warranty so plan to bypass the relay too the fuel pump with an auxillary relay .Should be a cheap and effective fix ,if that is in fact the problem .
I was about to do the same.Bypass etc. But read on this site something about MV were replacing the box in and out of warranty. I think the original is a POS. So hopefully the replacement is updated.
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

If you guys do, do that. Will you take some pics and post back the results?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode