Good bye 1090 .. Insurance wrote it off - it is up for an auction as a stat write off - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 02:46 AM Thread Starter

Good bye 1090 .. Insurance wrote it off - it is up for an auction as a stat write off

As per the title

I totalled it2-3 weeks ago. Thanks to a nice lady who decided to run a red light to cause a low speed collision as I bolted on a green light.
Insurance wrote it off - it is up for an auction as a stat write off.

Trivial damage (broken front Brake lever, bent back brake lever, small plastic radiator guard snap and a tiny scratch) that I would have had fixed in 2-3 days on my old Suzuki SV but the accessor said they found some other cosmetic damage (that I could not honestly even see) so the cost of parts and the wait time to get them from Italy means it is a write off.
It rides just fine as it was a low speed collision as I just clipped her as I was trying to dodge her.

Only done 7000 kms and it is perfect! So if anyone keen - shoot me a PM and I give you the details of the auction in Au (not sure if I am allowed to post a link) - I reckon it would make a good track bike or even for parts! Given it is a statutory write-off .. it can not be registered in NSW (not sure about other states)

Last edited by olympicwiz; 07-26-2016 at 02:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 07:26 AM

stat right off yep track bike it will be most likely
its either going to pickles or manheim, just post the link
dont think that will be a problem at all

Sanity is the playground for the un-imaginative
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 MV F4 1000S / 2006 Yamaha 50th anniversary R1 / 1998 Aprilia RS 125
1995 Suzuki RGV 250 / 2004 Cagiva Mito EVO2 / 2000 Cagiva mito
1992 Yamaha YZ250 / 1991 Kawasaki kr1s / 2010 Vespa GTS 300
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:34 PM

Any idea what price range this will go for on auction?

Faster and Faster untill the fear of death subsides.....
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

When I spoke to QBE guy he said $1.5k-$3.5k but clearly had no idea. I rode it for a week after the accident before it was accessed and written off. Rode just fine.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 06:33 PM
Established Member

Thats unbelievable, yours looks positively 'concourse' compared with some of the repairable write offs. If its purely cosmetic damage I don't understand how it could be assessed as a stat write off. Parts availability, or lack of, may have some part in the decision making process but from an insurers perspective that only delays the bit they hate the most, paying for the repairs. FWIW, I was told by a staff member in the showroom here recently that their workshop has a bike that has been waiting on crash repair parts for over 6 months. Small wonder that bike insurance is so expensive.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Sundodger

I estimated the cost of the authentic original parts needed to be less than $700. I actually contacted the lady who caused an accident and offered her to pay for the parts so I could fix my bike without getting insurance companies involved. Was just going to get some descent 3rd party brake lever as the original wasn't available. She decided to get her insurance company involved.

I wasn't even going to take my bile for the assessment, but QBE insisted to ensure my safety even though the bike rode just as fine as before the accident. Only the rear brake lever was bent it and I was going to have a mechanic to see if it could be unbent.

Feel very saddened as I took my bike to its death by the insurance company.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 07:23 PM

Well, it just so happens that I am looking for a track bike......and I just registered on Manheim.........maybe a bargain to be had.

Faster and Faster untill the fear of death subsides.....
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 07:30 PM
Established Member

What I'm struggling to understand is why it was assessed as a stat write off because from the Insurance companies point of view they would recoup considerably more at the auction if it was classed as repairable. I also find it hard to comprehend that to put a vehicle on the road, we have to go through 'government' agencies, compliance, inspections etc but to effectively take a vehicle off the road permanently all that is needed is a man in a suit from QBE - bizarre.
That aside, what a waste of the resources that went into making the bike in the first place.
It reminds me that many years ago Honda UK had a handful of RC30's remaining that were manufactured presumably to comply with homologation rules but didn't sell and they very publicly put them through a crusher rather than as was suggested at the time, donate them to a charity to auction off. Utter waste.

Thats my rant for the day.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 08:24 PM

Interesting read. I had a low side last year on my 2013 1090 and clocked up about 12k in damage. It was repaired rather than written off by NRMA. Go figure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode