Exhaust heat reducing coatings - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Exhaust heat reducing coatings

Decided to start a new thread,

I've had questionable luck over the years attempting to mannage header heat.
-Ive used a black & red coating (dont remember who's) on a formula car, would need to re-coat every few years, coatings would chip.

-also used wraps, looks like crap and prone to ugly fires if you get oils or fuel on them...long story

-recently used a chrome like coating from (Jet Hot I think), on an 8 second drag car.

The jet hot stuff looks good and held up all season. I'm thinking this would be the one to use but wondering about looks. I would want to coat all 3 parts (header, mid pipe & mufflers). I'm running an Arrow carbon muffler, Havent looked but would think that I'd want to take the muffler appart or you would have different colors / surfaces which wouldnt look good.

Anyone done anything in this area?

-how much is the heat reduced? can you see it in engine temp and feel it at a stop light?

-do the coatings hold up?

-Do it look good? Please send pictures...

Homer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 09:16 AM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
After a long debate i went with the Jet-Hot and first let me say it is great stuff. it holds up extremely well, looks great (i got the black coating) and definatly helps with the heat. i only have my mid-pipe done b/c i didnt want to take my headers off and when the bike is running i can get my hand a lot closer to the mid-pipe than the headers. I was planning on getting my sil pipes done as well but b/c of the construction of them it was impossible. Jet-hot said they would not take apart my exhaust and only do the pipes b/c they didnt want to be responsible if they screwed up the cans. with the sils the cans are welded directly to the down-pipes and would have had to have been cut and re-welded. so, depending on how your exhaust is put together they might be able to coat it. i know i have seen some pictures of people getting their stock pipes coated, but i think that is after drilling out the rivets. i would highly recommend the coating and if you decide to get the jet-hot, i think i still have like a 10% discount card that i could send your way. Hope this helps.

Get busy livin, or get busy dyin
Motorcycle Art!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going
flat out, than most people live in a lifetime.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 09:19 AM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
i will get you a picture tonight of what it looks like.

Get busy livin, or get busy dyin
Motorcycle Art!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going
flat out, than most people live in a lifetime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 11:30 AM

I also have my headers and mid coated on my F4. Substantial difference to my fairing health and anecdotal feeling is coolant temps improved as well.

I preferred the MVSP/Corse stainless headers coated to Ti which shouldn't be coated. I have the MVSP/Corse Ti exhaust.

These things matter in the Texas heat and I am quite happy with the coatings! I'm not sure exactly but at least 15,000miles with no signs of trouble so far.

JamesC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info...pics would be good.

Homer
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 11:58 PM

Homer, I had the Kawi Tracker coated by Jet-Hot. They seemed to be the most reccomended when I was in that build.

Last edited by HHester; 06-20-2006 at 11:12 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Henry,

I'm leaning that way, also thinking the silver will match the wheels. Love the new avitar...much improves over the thug with ears!

Homer
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 08:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to Matty
whats the price to get say your headers and midpipe done????

ballpark is fine

Matty
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 10:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
I have a buddy on the R6 board that does coatings, from powdercoating to jetcoating. He has EXCELLENT turn-around time and quality and feedback. LMK if you guys want some stuff done and i can hook you up with him. I can probably get you better pricing as well!!!

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Thanks Henry,

I'm leaning that way, also thinking the silver will match the wheels. Love the new avitar...much improves over the thug with ears!

Homer
Don't get too comfortable, he's got a brother...

Last edited by HHester; 06-20-2006 at 11:52 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode