Brutal 1090 for me? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Brutal 1090 for me?

Hello,
couple of questions - I'm yet to sit on one

I'm coming from a Ducati Monster Evo (see pic below). I can see by the specs it's about an inch taller than the monster but slightly squatter.

1. Will I look less of a giant on it compared my monster, I'm about six foot 1 or 2. (185cm, probably).
2. How does the 1090 compare to the RR, I don't think I can afford the RR, I can't find any obvious comparison differences
3. How will it compare to my monster (subjective)
4. How reliable will a 2015 model be. My monster has had no issues in 4 years.
Attached Images

Last edited by chucklepie; 04-26-2016 at 05:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 04:28 AM

New Site Garage
1. Will I look less of a giant on it compared my monster, I'm about six foot 1 or 2. (185cm, probably).

Possible look more of a monster the Brutale is a small bike for the engine capacity

2. How does the 1090 compare to the RR, I don't think I can afford the RR, I can't find any obvious comparison differences

The 1090 is a very nice bike. The engine is probably more suited to road use with more torque lower down. The extra power of the RR is at the top end. Likely you will upgrade a lot of bits later, if you want all the upgraded parts on an RR though, it is cheaper to buy the bike. The Corsa has even more carbon, trick forks etc. A lightly used model of either could be VFM

3. How will it compare to my monster (subjective)

I have done a few hundred miles on the monster R last year, The key difference for me would be less torque and different sound. The 1090 is really smooth, like a turbine in comparison to the lumpy L twin of the Monster. With a sports exhaust the 1090 does sound angry though. Looks are subjective, I like both, the Brutale feels just a bit more special

4. How reliable will a 2015 model be. My monster has had no issues in 4 years.

Had mine nearly a year, done nearly 3k miles, no issues at all

cheers
bogie
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 05:00 AM

1. I'm 6' 2" and the Brutale fits me fine. Due to the higher tank and the Brutale's proportions, when you have your feet on the pegs you don't look as much like a Thai hooker doing squats when compared to the Monster.

2. 1090 has more torque over a broader spread. 1090RR is more of a top end rush. Both have enough power and torque to scare the bejeezus out of anyone that doesn't treat it with respect. Very different (and angrier) beast to most Ducati's I've ridden. 1090RR has more bling and more adjustable suspension when stock. Personally I went the 1090 and then spent the difference personalising mine with carbon, full titanium exhaust etc etc. Properly set up, you won't be able to tell the difference between the handling of a standard Brutale and a 1090RR anywhere other than on a race track. If you're planning on doing a few tracks days on a semi-regular basis - go the 1090RR. If you're riding it more on the street go the 1090 and customise away.

3. I'd take the 1090 hands down. It handles better (once you get it set up for your weight etc), stands out, and with the right exhaust will sound a lot angrier. My Tamburini Corse system is flat out obnoxious. I get a grin every time I set off car alarms and drown out the V twins when I kick her over in the carpark. It also feels a damn site more special than the Ducati. Biggest criticism compared to the Ducati is how twitchy the throttle and fuelling can be at very low rpm - something that can be fixed with a Microtech ECU (generally regarded as the best upgrade you can make to the bike from a bang per buck perspective).

4. When maintained in accordance with the service specs by someone that knows what they're doing, they're just as reliable as any Japanese bike. Stuff up any aspect of maintenance and you'll know about it though in short order. Most of the bikes mechanical weak points are known (rear hub, cam chain tensioner, head light glass) and its pretty straight forward to fix them should an issue crop up either via after market parts (Mitchy Hub, modern replacement tensioner, better sealant respectively) or the knowledge base you'll find on this forum.

Last edited by Troz; 04-27-2016 at 05:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2016, 11:58 PM

if you have an inseam of 33" or more you wont be able to squeeze your legs in with the stock rearsets.. the RR has adjustable(eccentric only) and is a tad better.. but not a solution forlong-legged rides.

the rest of the ergos are great, very versatile and comfy bike for what it is! I am 6'2. I had a '13RR for 6k miles and really enjoyed it. Dont know if I looked like a Giant when riding on the bike, cos, well, I guess i was too busy romping through the gears to take any selfies? it is a smallish bike for it's engine size. But goddamn was it soooo much easier to toss around and rip through town on it compared to my '13 F4.

the RR is cool, but the non RR engine(+10tq, -12hp at +~600 or 800rpm redline) is probably much better suited for ALL activities short of trying to race balls out on the track... upright motorcycles have no real need for such a top end. I dont think i ever hit the rev limiter in it.. I like the new '16 base model in black. Sexy bike! I also like the red on silver with charcoal frame that was offered in '13 on the RR. My local dealer has a new one for sale for ~$13,500.

You should be on the look out for left over '12, '13 and '14's.. which can be had from $9k -11k for base models and 11-14k for RR's, as well as the R model which is priced roughly in between those figures.

If you prefer a twin, I would consider the new Triumph thruxton R.. although at $14500 its not quite the bargain as new old stock brutales.

That said, I kinda like the monster 1200s. The rest of the lineup doesnt excite me. Ive owned two ducs in the past.. no biases here. ducs do sound better though!

Last edited by drunkentrader; 05-04-2016 at 12:01 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2016, 11:20 AM

You might find this site useful
http://cycle-ergo.com/
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 04:49 AM

Disagree with you there Drunkentrader. I've got a 34" in-seam and never had any issues. Saying that I have had a few Japanese sports bikes over the years so I'm probably just used to being bent like a pretzel. I actually found the Brutale one of the most comfortable sportsbikes I've ever ridden.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 07:36 PM

One thing to consider with the 1090 vs the 1090RR is that the RR has ABS which means you can't use the Microtec ECU. I was seeing 160hp with the Microtec but speedo and odo didn't work. So the RR is trickier to tune. I ended up using a Rexxer reflash and am seeing about 149hp. 8K miles and love the bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 1090RR
2010 Multistrada
2006 Sport Classic 1000
2008 Husky 610TE
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 03:19 PM

Thanks for all the great info here, I'm looking at buying a 1090 soon and weighing out the options. Seems like the only difference between the 1090 and 1090R is the turn signals, but there must be more than turn signals for +$1000

Anyone know the big difference between the R and base model?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyD View Post
Thanks for all the great info here, I'm looking at buying a 1090 soon and weighing out the options. Seems like the only difference between the 1090 and 1090R is the turn signals, but there must be more than turn signals for +$1000

Anyone know the big difference between the R and base model?
I'm not familiar with all the trims yet, but my wife just moved up to a 2012 1090RR from a 2012 Dcuati 796 Monster, and she LOVES it. Now granted, she is 6ft tall. Also, the RR only had abs starting in 2013, so if you buy a slightly used one, you can get it without

"When you cannot ride de bike, you are very quiet at home in de sofa." -Rossi
I'm Curtis...
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

For used MV parts, look up my ebay user ID; "cbmx101"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-10-2016, 03:19 AM

point 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draginknee View Post
I'm not familiar with all the trims yet, but my wife just moved up to a 2012 1090RR from a 2012 Dcuati 796 Monster, and she LOVES it. Now granted, she is 6ft tall. Also, the RR only had abs starting in 2013, so if you buy a slightly used one, you can get it without
This site gives good comparisons inside each category between 1090, R, and RR:

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/.../index178.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode