Knocked off bike and now oil leak - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Knocked off bike and now oil leak

Hi folks,

First ride of the season for me today and some absolute tool ran his van into the back of me whilst I was stationary at a junction.

Usual result; launched forward a metre or so and then fell over onto the right hand side. Once somebody lifted the bike off me and I unloaded both barrels at the van drive, I inspected the damage.

It isn't actually too bad:

Bar end and mirror knackered
Scrape on CF radiator guard
Rear brake lever snapped
Rear light lens cracked
Tail tidy mangled
Small scrape on engine block

The last one is the problem. I started her up by the side of the road and she ran perfectly, but then a bit of smoke appeared from underneath. Seems that a small hole in the block is weeping oil, which is running underneath and onto the exhaust.

The hole is existing and part of the block, but I can't see why it would be leaking. I couldn't ride it with the oil coming out, so had it transported home.

Now I'm wondering if it is an oil way or run off and the bike being on its side has caused oil to slosh down it.

If anyone could provide some ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. I suppose I just want to know if my bike is dead

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 03:23 PM

Thats a right Bas...d of a day for you but the main thing is your ok.
The bike can be fixed.
You will of got all the drivers details and hopefully have a witness so get in touch with the insurance.
Hopefully you will be able to get another bike while yours is been fixed.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksim View Post
Thats a right Bas...d of a day for you but the main thing is your ok.
The bike can be fixed.
You will of got all the drivers details and hopefully have a witness so get in touch with the insurance.
Hopefully you will be able to get another bike while yours is been fixed.
Ha, worse than that. Literally just put it back together this morning after having my air intakes painted and my new tail tidy fitted...

Still, I've got all the details for the guy and, aside from the oil leak, doesn't look too bad.

Just hoping the bike isn't a write-off as it took me ages to find one in the right colour, with the right miles (still only on 4,000 miles).

I'm hoping someone can tell me exactly what that hole is and what the oil leak represents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 04:52 PM
Established Member

Yeah, thats bad... Really bad. Here's why...

First, this would have saved you a ton of grief... I have installed one on my 1090.

http://www.motocorsestore.com/index....-disegno/6-187

I don't know how to repair that, I just know how to avoid it.

That area is the Achilles heel of the 1090 motor. Technically, the bike is totaled. The area that is leaking is responsible for feeding the main crank bearings (Have a look at the attached image, I circled the affected area). The hole is bored vertically and horizontally during casting or manufacturing to provide a path for oil flow, then a copper BB like seal is forced in to seal the junction. There is no simple way to remove that BB and repair that area, short of removing the motor and splitting the cases, without introducing metal whch will just get pumped to the bearing surface destroying the bearing & scoring the crank, "technically" it's new motor time, and that blows.

The Knurl may have a solution for you, or maybe the Donzinator... Dunno. Hope it gets sorted. I'd be pursuing the driver's insurance company for a very large check. At the end of the day, tipping your motorcycle over should not kill it.

Good luck.
Attached Images

Last edited by jones525; 03-12-2016 at 06:13 PM.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-12-2016, 08:18 PM

New Site Garage
Well, we've only been talking about this exact same thing for years, and the amount of time we've mention engine protection is ridiculous, but never the less this happens and I'm glad you're okay mate.

Now, that is a blocked off oil channel as explained already, so all you need to do is clean it properly, and the find a decent metal putty or Epoxy and fill in the hole. Do not remove the existing plug unless you plan on replacing it with a new one.
This is what I would do to start with.
And then get engine case protection, even a carbon one would have avoided you this pain, good luck mate.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Last edited by Donsy; 03-12-2016 at 08:32 PM.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 05:54 AM Thread Starter

Guys,

I really appreciate the comments. I'm still pretty new to MV and I try to deal with the little 'issues' as I read about them or come across them (headlight glass/hub bearings etc), I didn't realise that part of the engine was so exposed in a fall.

I'm gutted to be honest; I absolute love the bike and I doubt I'd get another the same for the money I paid. I'm praying that she can be saved instead of a total loss.

Thanks for the help. I suppose I'll need to get to my local MV dealer and see what the prognosis is...
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 07:30 AM

Bugger,sorry but that is the position that always seems to get damaged,my mate has dropped 2 Mv's and always damage to that area .Hope your ok. As Donsy said get some protection .

cheers eddy
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 02:50 PM

I must have missed the various threads about the engine guards - been focusing too much on the F4. I looked at the various threads and narrowed the choices down to Sato Racing and Moto Corse - yikes, you can get a whole left/right set and change from Sato for the price of just the right side Moto Corset. But either of these options sure beats the alternative of engine damage.

I wish Sato would make a silver set, or at least a black billet right side without the 80's era font etched across. IMHO it detracts from the overall look of the engine. Which is why I squeezed my piggy bank hard and put in an order for the Moto Corse.

Most of the threads discuss the need to protect the right side, but not much discussion on the left side. Any experience with tip overs on the left side? And if you have frame sliders, does that push the bike up enough on the side to avoid needing any left or right engine protectors?

It looks like the options for the left side are either an expensive left side cover replacement, or a much cheaper Sato slider. Are there advantages to completely replacing the left side cover vs. adding on the Sato?

2019 Honda Monkey / 2014 Brutale 1090 RR / 2014 KTM 1190R / 2012 Triumph Bonneville SMQ / 2008 FJR 1300 /2009 Husqvarna TE310 / 1966 Metisse Desert Racer (2008 312R - sold; 2007 F4 - sold).
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 03:07 PM
Established Member

Left side protection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehg View Post
I must have missed the various threads about the engine guards - been focusing too much on the F4. I looked at the various threads and narrowed the choices down to Sato Racing and Moto Corse - yikes, you can get a whole left/right set and change from Sato for the price of just the right side Moto Corset. But either of these options sure beats the alternative of engine damage.

I wish Sato would make a silver set, or at least a black billet right side without the 80's era font etched across. IMHO it detracts from the overall look of the engine. Which is why I squeezed my piggy bank hard and put in an order for the Moto Corse.

Most of the threads discuss the need to protect the right side, but not much discussion on the left side. Any experience with tip overs on the left side? And if you have frame sliders, does that push the bike up enough on the side to avoid needing any left or right engine protectors?

It looks like the options for the left side are either an expensive left side cover replacement, or a much cheaper Sato slider. Are there advantages to completely replacing the left side cover vs. adding on the Sato?
I use a guard made by Bonamici Racing to protect the left side of the motor.

Have a look at my first post above. If you notice, the vulnerable area on the left side of the motor is still there, but tucked way inboard. So adding the guard (see attached picture) inadvertently protects the left side vulnerability without physically covering it by raising the engine off of the ground in the event of a tip or slide. The vulnerability on the right is just about the first thing to touch down, hence a physical guard covering that location.

P.S. Yes, I think the SATO stuff looks like it is from 1980 as well. It is functional though.
Attached Images

Last edited by jones525; 03-13-2016 at 03:11 PM.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 03:10 PM

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian SAVS
Hey Dons, what product are you using that fits the F4? many of the searches only turn something up for the Brutie models

What we've got here, is failure to communicate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode