Traded F4 for Brutale - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Traded F4 for Brutale

I decided yesterday to trade in my 07 1000R with only 1450 miles for a new old stock 2014 Brutale 1090 RR. I already have an identical 08 312R that I crashed this summer but was able to build back, and I had bought the 07 F4 as the price was right and I wasn't sure I'd keep the crashed 312R.

But I had trouble adapting to the ergonomics of the F4. After about 45 min, my neck and wrist ached, and I couldn't properly see out the mirrors. But that sound.....

So I packed her up:

Drove to the dealer and said goodbye:

And said hello to the RR.

It had 3 miles on it, spanking new despite being a 2014. Price was right - $4500 off list, and they treated me well on the trade in for the F4. While the F4 was out front, it drew a crowd, but I was busy loading up the Brutale.

I put a quick 50 miles running her around, and she fits like a glove. So much more comfortable to ride than the F4, and I can see out the mirrors! The sound is not quite as amazing as the F4, not so much a shriek as a little fatter and lower tone to my ears, but I've kept the RPMs low through initial break-in.

I thought long and hard about getting a 2016 Aprilia Factory Tuono V4.

It also sounds amazing and looks nice, but nowhere as sexy as the Brutale. The Ape is the better technical bike, but the reach is a bit longer than the Brutale, and I'm not going to likely use many of the various electronic settings - just set it and forget it.

Not sad to see the 07 F4 go, since the 312R is still with me and almost fully restored. I even scored a red powder coated frame that I might swap out for the blemished black one.

Now I need to locate a matching silver/red hugger that fits, and maybe a set of shorty CRG levers. And a tank bag.

2019 Honda Monkey / 2014 Brutale 1090 RR / 2014 KTM 1190R / 2012 Triumph Bonneville SMQ / 2008 FJR 1300 /2009 Husqvarna TE310 / 1966 Metisse Desert Racer (2008 312R - sold; 2007 F4 - sold).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 12:48 AM

New Site Garage
That's a very 1090RR mate, I do like those colours.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 11:26 AM

as you know it will be a totally different ride. Both are excellent bikes to have. I know because I have one of each .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Number 2, did I get your red powder coated F4 frame off ebay? It came from S Carolina.

Dons, I really like the silver/red combo. They had a 13 with the white gold combo and a red frame, but the classic MVA colors are my favorite.

2019 Honda Monkey / 2014 Brutale 1090 RR / 2014 KTM 1190R / 2012 Triumph Bonneville SMQ / 2008 FJR 1300 /2009 Husqvarna TE310 / 1966 Metisse Desert Racer (2008 312R - sold; 2007 F4 - sold).

Last edited by davehg; 03-07-2016 at 01:54 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 12:59 PM

New Site Garage
Very nice. I'm looking at possibly getting a Brutale 1090RR as well.
It certainly is tough to ignore all of the technological advantages the Aprilia Tuono and even the BMW S1000R have over the MV. This has been my struggle.
But I think the Brutale has just enough tech for me. Just wish it came with a quickshifter from the factory.

So you hauled the F4 in the bed of the truck and the Brute in the enclosed trailer?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 01:15 PM

Congrats on your new bike. Love the colour scheme.
I don't think you'll regret trading the F4 for it.. Although you do still have your 312 for the best of both worlds. The Brutale is a brilliant street bike.

Dave.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

When I rode the Aprilia, it was the 2014 Tuono. What a great sounding bike, and now the Factory version, with extra power and those nice Ohlins bits, was really tempting. The rest of the tech sounded nice, but me - I set the modes once for the street and that's about it. So the extra Aprilia tech was kinda wasted.

That BMW is also a great technical bike, but a face I can't love. It's a high tech appliance - just didn't have any soul to me. Don't get me wrong - appliances have their place. I have an FJR that is reliable and extra fun for a 700lb touring machine, but I could replace it easily with a new one and not shed a tear.

I wanted a bike that I could dedicate to local "canyon riding" - not for touring, adventure or similar. Something I could jump on, do a 200-300 mile day up to Mount Rainer or head to Yakima canyon, or local roads that mimic some twisty sections like you find in Mulholland or Northern Cal.

If I planned on riding track, or if this was my only street based machine, I'd probably look harder at the Aprilia. I asked my friends their opinion and got lotsa reactions - most thought the Aprilia to be the overall "better bike" but all agreed the MV was special. My one friend's thought was probably what tipped the scales in a close decision. He said I would own the Aprilia for a few years and then start looking at the newer shinier tech - but the MV was something I would probably keep and enjoy for its purity and not feel compelled to sell. Like Sheryl Crow once sang - it's not having what you want but wanting what you've got.

I tend to have the same rule for my bikes as with my tools - only buy, never sell. The F4 was the first bike I've sold, and only cause I ended up with two.

Last edited by davehg; 03-07-2016 at 11:29 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 12:25 PM

Send a message via MSN to Cali_RSV Send a message via Yahoo to Cali_RSV
That 1000R you traded was gorgeous. Get that 312 road ready already! Nice Brutie btw

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode