Looking for points of view on going used. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Looking for points of view on going used.

Hello MV members;
I'm looking at 750's and 910's, 1078's etc. Given the first and most obvious question being 'how do you want to use it', no track days, no commuting, basically I simply love the look and it will most likely be that occasional Sunday spin and honestly a garage ornament. Beautiful machines indeed.
I've had lots of Italian bikes, 7 Duc's and 3 Aprilias (no motos in the garage right now) and I guess what I'm asking the members, will the 750S leave me regretting not spending several thou more (in my particular case, $5000 for the 750 and $8800 for the 910R, fyi those are asking prices, not final agreed dollars). The other problem, I have none local and need to travel 3 hours to 'see' one or take the leap of faith and have one shipped from a location too far to drive. So, $5k, not a ton of money vs $8800 which is nearing $10k...kind of a lot for a garage queen.
So just throwing it out there to hear a few opinions fully realizing yes of course, ultimately it is up to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 03:10 PM

My first question would be are you buying from an individual or a dealer? Ask a lot of questions. Have the service intervals been completed and is there documentation. What is the mileage? What mods have been done. If you only have to drive 3 hours to see the bike I would do it. I bought a used 1078 sight unseen from a dealer, asked many questions, got a lot of pictures and it was a really good bike.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I agree, you're the voice of reason. The 750 has decently low miles, 6k and is an hour from home yet at a 'used' shop. On the other hand, the 910R is at a known shop here in New York State with an excellent reputation, miles are 3k and they're 3 hours away. You are correct though, when the appeal of the deal presents itself, dealing with a few unknowns can cause a whole lot more regret than then regret of getting the better machine and spending more. My best bet is to put a day aside, drive down to the MV dealer, make sure it is what I want and explore how badly they want it sold? At $8800, it seems on the high end of asking prices. Thanks for your .02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

One more, the 750 has an Arrow slip on and led turn signals. The 910R is stock and that is how I would want it. Original exhaust is included on the 750.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK250 View Post
One more, the 750 has an Arrow slip on and led turn signals. The 910R is stock and that is how I would want it. Original exhaust is included on the 750.

I would go with the 910R. It is a good machine
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 07:46 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink which?

RK250;
I think they're both way to high.....

3 years ago I bought a 910R for Carl (CAG) for $9,500.....4,100mi flawless

but full Ti system, MicroTec, all the carbon that exists, GPR damper and LEDs

and all the original shit too

that said a 910R is a very visceral bike.......I LOVE mine, coming up on 31,000mi

issues? 2 low beam bulbs

most reliable bike I've ever owned in 60 years and 1,460,000mi

ask Ed Eskew, what he thinks of his 910R

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 04:40 AM

Some things to look out for, and it's been covered a lot . Check the integrity of the rear hub, if it's already been upgraded, better yet. The SPU has been known to crap out on the older models, I'd want to say pre-2009 had the most issues. There's guys on this forum with more expertise than me on this. If the SPU was already, changed, you will probably be good to go. There's a way to visually identify it, somebody here might chime in and tell you what to look for, or just use the search engine. Finally, going to microtech ECU is a popular upgrade. And it's pricey too. However many feel it gets rid of the snatchy, on/off throttle and generally improves power and mpg. Personally, the 910 would be my choice, if everything checked out ok.

"When the people fear their government there is tyranny,when the government fears the people there is liberty. My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government"--Thomas Jefferson
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 09:08 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post

that said a 910R is a very visceral bike.......I LOVE mine, coming up on 31,000mi

issues? 2 low beam bulbs

most reliable bike I've ever owned in 60 years and 1,460,000mi

ask Ed Eskew, what he thinks of his 910R

What he said.....

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate all the conversation. At $8800 for the semi local 910R granted it would not hurt to ask, but unfortunately I feel and you all would most likely agree, that price just seems high especially when I'm seeing 1078RR for $8k but half way across the country. For sure I want to actually see the bike but feel awkward speaking up when on the surface dealer and I are too far apart dollars wise. Nothing to lose by asking...
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Established Member

I bought a very low miles 2014 1090RR, saved a fortune over a new bike and 18 months warranty still to run. I got it from a dealer.

I got it after being very impressed with a blast on a 2012 model. I have only had it a month and due to the weather, which has been particularly 'British' lately I have not ridden it since getting it home! Therefore I can't really comment on reliability to be honest.

Whatever you go for..enjoy!

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=162481

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode