Newbie with an MV 1090RR on the radar - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

Newbie with an MV 1090RR on the radar

Hi all,
I have the luxury of in the not distant future being on the lookout for a new ride.
In the last 2 weeks I've test ridden the KTM 1290 and the new Aprilia Tuono 1100.
Now both great bikes but spending this kinda cash I want to be open to everything. The MV is definitely on the ride list but one thing that has been in the back of my mind is parts availability.
I noticed that Trooper Lu"s no longer does MV and found a post of his saying service and parts was a major gripe of his with some of the "boutique" brands as he put it.

Just food for thought, so how do you all go with parts? And we'll anything else with the Brutales or MV in general.

Haha made it a worthwhile first post.
Cheers,
Andre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 01:51 AM

I take it you are in Sydney ? Part are much more obtainable now, usually about a week if the dealer has to order it.

http://mototecnica.com.au/ are in Artarmon.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Hi RS,
No I'm in Melbourne I just knew that trooper lu's did MV and when I looked at the dealer list on the MV site they were no longer listed.
Did some searching and found some comments he made I think on the sports rider forum website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 03:37 AM

For some reason dealers always have issues with parts with the Mv brand basically i think this is because of warranty issues,now when your warranty is over you will find parts pretty easy and delivered within a week from overseas.They are extremely easy to work on.also the Ktm 1290 is a great bike .and the Mv can easily match it ,even my old 1078rr.

cheers eddy
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 03:47 AM

Even for warranty stuff I've not had to wait more than 3 weeks.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 06:02 AM

Hi Andre, I am in Sydney and have a 2013 Brutale 1090RR which I have had for a few months. I bought it 2nd hand with very low km from a nice man in Brisbane. I had the 1st service done by mototecnica in artarmon as well has having a whole bunch of cosmetics done. They were great.

I also have a 2013 BMW 1000RR and a 2006 Ducati Sports Classic 1000 Paul Smart. Each bike is completely different and I ride a different one for 2 weeks at a time to and from work. Round trip 50km.

The Brutale is raw, a bit twitchy, very quirky, handles brilliantly, highly maneuverable, has the best tyres on any bike I've ever ridden, lousy rear brakes, looks amazing and sounds awesome! It's deadly in traffic as you just have to think where you want to go and it's there and has great presence on the road. I am yet to really stretch its legs but so far I am very happy with my choice and you definitely feel like you've ridden a real motorbike when you finish your ride. I haven't ridden the KTM but I note that the Superduke 1290R won the naked MOTY again so maybe worth a look. Generally KTMs are too tall for me. I test rode the Aprilia Touno and while nice it was a bit too wide and sit up and stare for me. The reality is these days all bikes are good, the MV however is much less refined than others I've ridden and I like that.

Phil

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 06:10 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Welcome to the family AndreDb......

Parts are not a problem unless you need cosmetics for a "limited" edition older model.
I think most of the boys down under get their parts from overseas. Seems your Aussie dealers are not adept at customer service (from what I read here).

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 06:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys really appreciate it.
I found the KTM insanely comfortable but believe it or not, was pretty flat, plenty of grunt don't get me wrong but I wasn't grinning like a kid in a lolly shop.
The 1100 Touno has an absolute awesome engine that was a blast and great fun. But the first thing I noticed was that you sit on and up over the Tuono which was really weird.
I actually called into a MV dealer on Saturday and was going to ask about a test ride on a 1090RR as they had one there, instead, I walked around the shop for over 20mins, didn't get served so I walked out. Will see if I get a better response from the email I sent them.

Less refined and something with a bit of character is definitely what I'm after.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 06:33 AM

New Site Garage
Nothing I've ridden to-date provides me with the same Grin factor as my MV....nothing !

As Mr. Eskew points out, the NZ fraternity generally source our parts mainly from the USA...with the odd Aussie owner (thx RS) thrown in to keep us company. Parts are never really an issue.

....hope to welcome you to the family soon

Cheers

Tim
Current
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 910R - Track Bike
Harley-Davidson Street Glide Rushmore
Harley-Davidson Road Glide Rushmore

Past
MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
MV Agusta Brutale 990R LE Anniversary Edition #81/150
MV Agusta Brutale 750s
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 06:47 AM

True,I have my mates always saying when are you going to buy a new bike,I know why,I have ridden the ktm1290 ,Touno ,BMW 1000RR. I always head back to my wild show pony.The Brutale 1090rr is just a brilliant machine ,my mate has wiped out 2 of them and will be getting a third,you will not be disappointed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode