I hit something tonight - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I hit something tonight

So coming home tonight I jump on the freeway to cut across town for 1 exit about a mile or so.
I saw caution lights from a big rig and slowed down, but didn't see the stuff in the road until I was nearly on top of it. I clipped the side of the front tire and jumped the bike at about 65 and the debris hit the rear tire too.

From what I can tell no damage was done and I didn't lose the bike. It was a large piece of what looked like a tire but sounded like hard plastic.

I looked under the bike and it only appears I have a slight rub mark on the bottom of the exhaust. Springs on the exhaust are still good and I can't see any else.

What should I check out just to make sure?
Thoughts?

I've hit many things on my cruiser but the frame rides under the engine and it bounces off stuff. Cruisers seem to be more resilient to road debris.

2009 Brutale 1078RR day off fun
2005 Victory Vegas pro-street build
2004 Rubicon trail Jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 06:27 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Spin the wheels and look for flat spots on the rims. You probably hit a piece of blown out tire. That rubber IS hard, but usually makes a glancing blow and no damage.

We have tire chunks all over our roads right now....summer heat and under inflation.....boom.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 09:19 PM

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian SAVS
You're probably good mate, did the bike ride funny on the last leg or did everything feel okay? A good visual check should serve adequately, if the ride was unchanged IMO.

What we've got here, is failure to communicate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 10:16 PM
Banned

I would recommend the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Rider Course. They teach a threat management system known as "SIPDE", that is somewhat similar to a gunfighters's OODA loop.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-26-2015, 10:20 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Spin the wheels and look for flat spots on the rims. You probably hit a piece of blown out tire. That rubber IS hard, but usually makes a glancing blow and no damage.

We have tire chunks all over our roads right now....summer heat and under inflation.....boom.

+1 on double checking your rims/tires .. I'd probably check the oil cooler too.. just in case, but I venture to say you're all good.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks guys, I spun the tires in a lot when I first got to the next exit and rolled them again once home. Didn't seem to have any issues. Just a concern because I know sports type bikes seem to be more fragile.
I've take the Basic rider course. I remember the piece of wood you ride over. I've done that on the street before too. This was without warning. Be warned, highway speeds at night don't mix. However I figured I was safer on the highway then the city streets. Highway is typical event free.

2004 Rubicon trail Jeep
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 03:21 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Your lucky you were not spat off the bike.Do what Ed said have a good look over the bike for any damage and spin the wheels to check for out of round rims.If there is no vibration/shaking when riding you should be OK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks guys

2004 Rubicon trail Jeep
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 12:56 PM

New Site Garage
Good to hear it wasn't a worse outcome, seems to be a few offs lately. Check everything along your impact path, tires, brakes, oil cooler, rad, oil filter housing, exhaust, foot controls (can bend a little and contact motor), tail lights and mount.

I hit an indecisive prairie dog the other day. It was chubby, but the brute didn't flinch and barely bumped. The fuzzy fellow faired much worse.

Speed is relative, but fast is fast.

- 2011 brutale 1090R (Matte pearl white/Black)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode