Brutale headlight question.. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Brutale headlight question..

My Brutal headlamp seems loose when I ride... damn thing jiggles a bit from what I notice ... I've chalked it up to the damn stiff suspension combined with the abysmal L.A roads.... Yes, I've checked the mounting screws and they're snug as can be.

Having said that, today when I returned from a ride, I noticed that the two headlamp halves have what appears to be a significant amount of play in them and a whitefish residue that forms about the seam halves.. much like dust.

The glass is in tact an not an issue..... The mount tab affixing the two parts ( at the top) and the screw at the bottom are fine..... But it still a growing concern.

Do I have legit cause for concern, and if so, what should I do to remedy this ???

I can't imagine gluing it closed/shut...... bulb replacement would surely be a bitch..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 09:38 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Something in the mounting has the housing deformed slightly causing a less than snug fit with the headlamp unit......take the screw out and determine a way to snug the joint up....small bits of weather strip foam can help act as a cushion/seal.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:54 AM

Just put some black tape up on top of the joint ,just under the speedo cover.mine also shakes and i have replaced the grey silicone already it was about to pop off.

cheers eddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:50 PM

I had that white stuff on my headlight while in AZ. I don't have it in MI. I think it is calcium from the water. Same stuff on the walls of Lake Mead since the water level has dropped. That's the source of water for LA.

MV Ultra Take the ride!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Something in the mounting has the housing deformed slightly causing a less than snug fit with the headlamp unit......take the screw out and determine a way to snug the joint up....small bits of weather strip foam can help act as a cushion/seal.
Thx much... I'll give that a try and see how it works out.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 09:33 PM

any movement between headlight glass and the black frame to which it is glued to is almost certainly a glue failure, the only thing holding it in is good luck and a bit of surface tension, if your movement is between the black shell and the black headlamp lens frame that is somewhat normal. check very carefully, if you can get any movement on the lens glass to surround frame a good tug will easily separate it, use only windshield adhesive to put it back and checkout some other (plenty) threads on how best to secure it for good....very expensive glass that is!

good luck
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 11:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijakike View Post
any movement between headlight glass and the black frame to which it is glued to is almost certainly a glue failure, the only thing holding it in is good luck and a bit of surface tension, if your movement is between the black shell and the black headlamp lens frame that is somewhat normal. check very carefully, if you can get any movement on the lens glass to surround frame a good tug will easily separate it, use only windshield adhesive to put it back and checkout some other (plenty) threads on how best to secure it for good....very expensive glass that is!

good luck

+ 10........

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 12:14 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
+1

I had the same issue with the white stuff between the two black pieces of plastic. I put bits of felt and foam between them and that helped a lot.

Chris
2008 Brutale 910R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode