Headlight failure - low beam at speed - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Headlight failure - low beam at speed

After installing Mitch's hub (amazing product&workmanship) along with new plugs, an aftermarket air cleaner, and the metal fuel connector conversion I went for a test drive. Night time, edge of town, unlit road.

After the initial test runs and I made about six hard/WOT acceleration runs. Each time the headlight would go dark leaving a me blind to the road (instrument and marker lights were operating). Slowing down and moderate acceleration was no problem. The events occurred in 3rd and 4th from 6k to 8k+ (it's a public road). I'd initially thought I was on high beam but the next tests dispute that.

The next day I removed the headlight, checked the connection to it as well as the sockets connecting to the bulbs. Every thing was tight and bulbs secure. Arriving at my test site, I made six runs on low beam and the headlight failed every time in the same range, ...at or near WOT accelerations in 3rd and 4th gear from 6K to over 8K.
I made the same runs on high beam with no failures.

After reading multiple threads on low beam replacement frequency and failures,...with one stating a support inside that bulb broke, I'm wondering if the problem is worldwide on that particular bulb i.e. it's nots hardened for heavy duty use (no glass tube encapsulating the filament and/or extra isolated supports securing it).

Though I have not done G loading tests on the bulb(s) on a shaker table or in a centrifuge, I suspect high loads are shorting and/or breaking the filaments.

Has anyone found a heavy duty rated bulb that stands up to MV acceleration/use?

07 Brutale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2015, 07:05 PM

Search the spu thread.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the input.

Can you narrow the direction a bit as to exactly which aspect of the reported SPU problems you are referring?
Only several hundred replies on the 50 threads mentioning SPU & headlight, however all those I've read report continuous issues with no respect to speed and they usually site multiple issues/failures except one mentioning blinking/blanking of light with a microtec installed. All of the problems I've read about are occurring in static or quasi static operating conditions.

And at this point I've yet to find one thread denoting failure of only the low beam during hard acceleration with no other issues normally attributed to noted SPU issues. Any specific information that can be provided is greatly appreciated.

A quick look at the schematic shows individual fuses so a buss bar issue in an SPU seems unlikely however I have not disassembled or x-rayed the SPU for fault analysis....yet. And I have not yet subjected an SPU to g-loads in the lab to assess performance under acceleration. All possible if a grant can be secured.

Per several threads on SPU problems, and part numbers, my SPU is of the newer model number so replacing it with the same part seems like an expensive shotgun approach.

Indeed taking a voltage logger along for the ride and monitoring the power lead from the SPU could eliminate that component from the diagnostic regime. This might be a next step followed by G-load testing on the relays.

Since many reports of low beam failure and frequent replacement are being reported, I was hoping this thread might get others to 1) do the same tests I did and report results, 2) look very carefully at blown bulbs, note where the filament or supports are breaking & report back and 3) find a source of hardened bulbs.

Thanks again

07 Brutale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 08:25 AM

The one with the sticky:

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41943

I assume you've checked for loose connections.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing the thread info Red.

The connectors/connections, bulbs, & fuses were the first things checked both before and after the designated test session.

If anyone with the 1st series Brutale has the time to do a 6 to 8K WOT acceleration in 3rd and 4th gear at night (or in daylight where someone can see/watch the headlight operation) and has the low beam go out only while accelerating, please let me know.
Thank you

07 Brutale
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2015, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing the thread info Red.

The connectors/connections, bulbs, & fuses were the first things checked both before and after the designated test session.

If anyone with the 1st series Brutale has the time to do a 6 to 8K WOT acceleration in 3rd and 4th gear at night (or in daylight where someone can see/watch the headlight operation) and has the low beam go out only while accelerating, please let me know.

Thank you

07 Brutale
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 09:43 PM

May Have the Same Issue...

SlowRide,

Did you ever find a cause or solution to your issue?

This has been happening to me as well. I've done the connection check, ground check, fuse check and followed most of the wiring and found no issues. The bulb has been replaced a few times, just in case. It does occur in higher gears as well. The engine speed seems to be the only common factor there.

I did have an ignition coil fail recently. It would have been nice had it just been a symptom of that.

If you're still around, I'd love to hear what you found.

Cheers...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 06:54 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
If you guys are talking about Brutales with this failure, then the low beam headlight headlight relay is probably the culprit.

If I knew the year and model of your specific bike, I could give you more specific information.

That relay is probably in your SPU.

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:06 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I have experienced this intermittently in the past on my 910R and at first was alarmed...but the bike ran perfectly, and the light cam right back on, just a brief flicker off.

And then one night realized my glove was contacting the high beam flash button, and under hard acceleration my grip on the bars tightening would occasionally slightly depress that button...which caused the low beam to go out !!!!

So I quit worrying.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:48 PM

I suppose it could be the SPU, but mine is relatively new and is of the updated variety. My bike is in my profile, but doesn't show; it's a 2004 S model.

Looking at the wiring diagram, it does seem that this is handled by that SPU box.

Cheers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
If you guys are talking about Brutales with this failure, then the low beam headlight headlight relay is probably the culprit.

If I knew the year and model of your specific bike, I could give you more specific information.

That relay is probably in your SPU.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in