Ringing noise in second gear, 4-4.5rpms - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Ringing noise in second gear, 4-4.5rpms

I have a 2013 1090RR with 600 miles on it.. i had the first service done early at 350 miles, and all has been fine, but around 500 miles or so I started ghearing this noise, presumably in the gearbox, that i experience only in 2nd gear from 4k to 4.5k rpms.. It is NOt a "whinning" straight cut gear sound, but a "ringing noise" that increases frequency with rpms as I accelerate.. it also makes the noises, faintly, on decel in the same rpms.

The noise is there at constant rpms too. not in any other gears, and not in nuetral, just 2nd gear.

They frequency of sound sounds similar to that of a lathe, or a clothes dryer spinning at high speed with an uneven load.. it's a familiar rotary sound, higher frequency, and it is pretty annoying(as this occurs in common side street cruising speed, ~40mph)

I plan on taking it into the dealer this saturday to have them inspect the bike..

What do you think it could be? I dont really know anything about the internal mechanics of a cassette gearbox, but since the noise is isolated in second gear, is there a bearing that runs on the primary/secondary/whichever shaft that runs the 2nd gear cog? I mean, if the sound is gear specific, how many components could really be at fault?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 05:31 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
The sound is only in the one gear ratio, and only when in motion. All the transmission parts are moving when you are moving (every gear is meshed and spinning on both shafts which are spinning). The only variable in second is the two gears that interlock on one shaft to create the second gear drive ratio, and the one shift fork that moved the locking gear.

So the drive and driven gears are under a load. I need to look at the parts book to see which gears, but basically there would only be a few parts that could be responsible for your second gear sound.

The delimma is that the technician will probably not be able to see any flaw in those parts that might create a unique abnormal sound.....or he might!?! No bearing would be involved.
You may just need to get some more break in miles, and change oil using a high quality oil.....what oil did your dealership use?

And don't forget, every engine is made up of many parts all manufactured to specific dimension and material tolerances. Tolerance "stack" makes every engine a unique entity, just as we humans are all unique. Similar in design and construction, but within certain variables. No 2 engines will sound exactly the same mechanically.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Last edited by esq'z me; 04-09-2015 at 05:35 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 05:43 AM

New Site Garage
esq'z me,

You just beat me to the post there with the very same thoughts. Drunkentrader your mileage is very low and I would give it a bit more time to thoroughly break in. I bought mine at 4000km and hated the gearbox and change. It went against all the posts of how good the box was. A lot of this was getting used to the slipper clutch but a change to a good oil (in my case Castrol 1) was a revelation. Now at 30000k I reckon it's the best box I've ridden. The noise could also be an exhaust resonance that only occurs at those revs in that gear.

Cheers

Deano
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 08:01 AM

It's under warranty ride da piss outta her.

She's probably wondering why you're farting around at 4k.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies! I guess it makes sense to wait till the bike is a little more broken in..

the oil the dealer used was motul 300v 5w40.. when i saw it on the receipt i asked why this was used instead of the 10w60 Agip GP(if i recall correctly) -- He said thats what the MV rep suggested, given the temperate SoCal weather..

I know that they spoke to their MV corporate rep because this was their very first servicing(aside from PDI's on new bikes) for a MV. The dealer just took on the MV franchise a month prior. The requested all the details and recommendations from MV to perform the service, so I trust that they went by the book, for safety/compliance sake..

I was planning on going back at 1k miles for an oil change(or is that a scheduled service?).. so maybe I should gather some feedback from y'all about what oil has been working..

And YEAH! The bike gets a workout! Thats why i did the first service early, mainly to get some fresh oil in there.. I didnt take it past 10k rpms, but more or less gave it a spirited workout up and down the rev range and gears.. much less abuse than the press bikes get, and I just could see babying the thing as I am mostly convinced it is recommended for the safety of the rider not the engine! Still slowly pushing it beyond 10k rpms, but wont be redlining it till the next oil change is performed.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 09:16 PM

What dealer is this?

I strongly suggest Moto Forza. They have provided stellar service to all the bikes I've had there. They know and love MV's as much as we do.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-09-2015, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

^Dealer is Newport Italian in Costa Mesa. They are about 10 minutes away from me. I have had nothing but good experiences and good vibes from them.. really friendly staff.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 06:04 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Suggest you ask them to use the higher viscosity Motul if that's the oil they carry. Engine internal temps have a lot more to do with oil demands than ambient athmospheric temps.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 08:56 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

Go to Moto Forza in Escondido........

they set up all the 2nd gen press bikes

Ed......50-60 weight oil is old school.......big bearing clearance stuff......

when cranks weren't straight and blocks not much better

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Update - Dealer notified me and changed the oil

the other day I went in to the dealer to pickup a set of gloves I had ordered and they brought up the issue I was having from having reviewed this thread -- they being the dealer as well as one of the MV regional rep's, had clarified a few things and recommended I come back in for a new oil and filter change at no charge.

while i was there they addressed my squeaky shock(there was some bushing that needed lube) and I was on my way.. the ringing noise is 80% gone, just a faint whine is left, for now.. I am satisfied, and am appreciative the proactive response in addressing the issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode