My lucky day--last night my lights go out on rainy night on unlit highway. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

My lucky day--last night my lights go out on rainy night on unlit highway.

So my worst nightmare (apart from crashing) finally happened. Unlit highway, piss poor visibility (it was raining at night, duh), and my lights go out. Yup, front and back. Yeah I was freaking out in my helmet, but just kept on going following tailights around, estimating the curvature of the road, staying out of the way of faster vehicles, until I got into the street lights of Kuala Lumpur (about 100 km going 80-110 km/h like this). One hand on throttle, the other wiping the visor, and if I had another hand I'd be flipping off the gods. Speaking of the gods, no one rammed me from behind thanks to a little stroke of luck--a backup tailight I had zip-tied to the bike the day before (the led flashers cyclists use). Now that's genuis!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 09:13 AM

Waouw!!!! Man, you should have left the bike on the side and call up for some friend to pick you up....
But i guess i would have continued as well to be honest. Good to read nothing happened to you.

Did you figure out what exactly happened to your lights?
...guess the rain must have short-circuited the system?

From now on, i'mna keep an extra flash light and some tape under my seat as well.
Could be a life safer i see...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by khameron View Post
Waouw!!!! Man, you should have left the bike on the side and call up for some friend to pick you up....
But i guess i would have continued as well to be honest. Good to read nothing happened to you.

Did you figure out what exactly happened to your lights?
...guess the rain must have short-circuited the system?

From now on, i'mna keep an extra flash light and some tape under my seat as well.
Could be a life safer i see...
My tail/brake light has been unpredictable last few months--hence the strap-on led flasher. Headlight started acting funny the day before the ride--the ride being a 2000 km weekend. So the day before the ride, I put in a new battery and on came the highbeams and no way to turn them off. By the way, I had already pulled out the fuses for both turn signals because they were draining the battery by glowing even with the key out. So riding without turn signals wasn't very smart. Anyway, despite the blackout, the engine never missed a beat so I just rode my luck. I'd have to say, it was my worst riding night so far.

The inquest begins in the morning.

Last edited by dearpixel; 01-06-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 10:26 AM

Sounds like the electrics are pretty fubar!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 11:41 AM
Banned

problems with lights

this is the guilty...service Brain from SAAB electronic...an real problem for Brutalehttp://img129.imageshack.us/img129/6562/a6b11wa7.jpg
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 02:18 PM

You are a lucky man!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowsix View Post
this is the guilty...service Brain from SAAB electronic...an real problem for Brutalehttp://img129.imageshack.us/img129/6562/a6b11wa7.jpg
yeah, would get it changed if the dealership here can sort themselves out--changing hands at the moment.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 06:35 AM
Banned

you can hope the MV factory ship to you the spare part in few times....in Italy we must wait for service brain..for a long time.Some voice tell that there is a new service brain without problems..
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowsix View Post
you can hope the MV factory ship to you the spare part in few times....in Italy we must wait for service brain..for a long time.Some voice tell that there is a new service brain without problems..
You may be right.

I spoke to the former dealer here (contract with MV just expired Jan 1) and it seems MV is prepared to ship the brain to me pretty soon, but may charge me as there is now no official dealer here. I'm not best pleased by that, but I'll find out tomorrow what they will charge.

Is everyone in agreement, a new 'service brain box' will sort my lighting gremlins?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:11 AM

Mine was replaced after all kinds of blinker gremlins under warrantee and they said it would have cost $800 US.
It seems to me that MV has no problem with pissing there customers off at times.
Good luck, Chris.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode