Brutale "Winking" on shutdown--anybody know why? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Brutale "Winking" on shutdown--anybody know why?

Only recently noticed that when the bike is shut down, there is a very brief flash of the right-side indicators. While it's kind of charming in that "Herbie goes to Monte Carlo" way, wondering if this is an indication of an impending problem with the electronics--especially since Factory warranty is up in April... Anybody have experience with this? Is it some benign capacitor discharging, some hidden diagnostic gem, or nothing to worry about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 03:10 PM
Established Member

it's the result of electrical noise kicking around in the electrical relay box (the one on the right side of the fuel tank with all the fuses in it). the electrical noise is the result of poor design. mv covertly wants you to be very happy your particular bit of noise doesn't affect operation of the blinkers while riding. it may or may not worsen or improve over time.

Two '01 Suzuki SV650 race bikes; '06 Brutale 910 street
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Banned

the problem is the "brain service box relay" manufactured very poor by SAAB electronic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowsix View Post
the problem is the "brain service box relay" manufactured very poor by SAAB electronic
i didn't realize SAAB made that box. f*ckers....

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:05 PM

Hmm, so that explains it, we have Chevy parts on our bikes.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 03:21 PM

Is poor build quality a known fact or just an assumption? If it's a poor design, was it specifically designed for MV? If so it was probably a joint design between MV and the manufacturer, or could also be an MV designed part manufactured by a third party. The manufacturer doesn't need to offer any design input if MV have supplied the specs and drawings.

It could also be simply a case of MV choosing an off the shelf product that is not fit for purpose? If the component in question is indeed manufactured by SAAB it may be that it was originally designed to be placed inside the passenger compartment of a car, or worst case scenario an engine bay. While an engine bay is indeed a harsh environment, it's nowehere near as harsh as being strapped to the outside of a bike.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Established Member

yeah there's no way to know who designed the circuit board inside the box in question. and the design of the circuit board is the problem (as opposed to it being a manufacturing problem). since the box is a flawed design, no amount of perfect manufacturing technique can correct it.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 11:09 AM

I've never had cause to open one up and look at it, what's wrong with the circuit board design?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley Hare View Post
I've never had cause to open one up and look at it, what's wrong with the circuit board design?
Yes, I too was unaware of a flaw with the board design... Is it caused by interelement capacitance--that would seem a plausible explanation...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley Hare View Post
well i have hooked a scope up to most of the wires connected to this circuit board, and many of them are loaded with noise. electrical noise must be held in check with proper bypass capacitors, or other circuit design techniques depending on the source of the noise. the fact that this circuit is loaded with noise indicates that it is poorly designed.

regardless, the fact is that about 1 in 4 brutale bikes have random electrical problems usually related to the fan, blinkers, and high/low beam headlights. the design of the circuit board is such that it takes low-level inputs (from the blinker-switch, high/low beam switch, etc.) and those low-level signals are amplified through several large solid-state relays on the circuit board to drive the fan, headlights, and blinkers. it's very easy to imagine some stray uncontrolled noise on the circuit board affecting the inputs of the solid state relays, especially during transient events on the bike (such as the fan turning on/off, the bike turning on/off, etc.).

it's impossible to prove that electrical noise is causing the problem without reverse-engineering the entire circuit board. but i've been involved in electrical engineering for about 20 years now and that's where i'd put my money.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode