Guilty of Extreme Brutale Flickin’ - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Guilty of Extreme Brutale Flickin’

About midnight I was running an errand on the Brutale. The town where I live has a very high police-to-resident ratio--as a result, there’s A LOT of traffic enforcement. I’m used to it, and ride accordingly. Plus the crime is VERY low, THANKS COPS!

While returning home in the penultimate lane on a straight stretch of five-lane road I check my mirrors, as is habit, constantly auditing surroundings… Nothing there, keep cruising—five seconds later, another mirror check headlights about 10 feet behind closing fast… S-P-I-D-E… Immediate choices:

- Do nothing and hope I don’t get run over…
- Hit the throttle and put some distance on…
- Move right and get out of the guy’s way...

I go for Decide and Execute… Pop the signal right, simultaneously flick the bike to the right lane and give the go around hand signal with the left hand. Resume riding monitoring the car that closed fast on my six…

BAM! Cop lights… I’m getting pulled over… I pull in to a parking area park the bike. Step off, turn around and face the car which has lights blazing. Raise my hands, doff my gloves, sit my helmet on the curb and face the car’s lights. I was livid. The LEO had passed me going the opposite direction, flipped a U-Turn and charged up on my rear—then had the gall to pull me over when I got out of his way and waved him past.

We had heated words… I know this is a mistake on my part, but I was concerned about the way that he charged up on my rear—he seemed to think that I was guilty of “not knowing how to ride very well”… We ARGUED, him questioning my ability to ride, and me questioning his ability to judge my riding. It went pretty much like you’d imagine.

Another cop pulled up and the two discussed the situation on the opposite side of the cars from me. The first cop kept making an erratic motion with his hands while talking to the other cop. The whole thing that set him off was my “flick” of the Brutale—he thought that I had lost control. I ride a bunch of different bikes, and ride each differently… The Brutale, sweet bitch of a bike that it is--after a while it's IMPOSSIBLE not to take the sublime handling characteristics for granted and FLOW…

We ended up getting the matter resolved—I got my license back and was free to go. We both clearly articulated our individual points of view and ended up shaking hands. It turned out that he’d had a Kawasaki several years back and rode for a short while. Using the Kawi’ as basis for comparison, the effortlessly maneuverability and stability of the Brutale, the holy grail of motorcycling handling, must have seemed pretty unbelievable. I guess you have to ride one to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 10:57 PM
Established Member

hahah pretty funny story. of course traffic enforcement has little to do with reality and everything to do with collecting road-use taxes. worse, the personality-type attracted to the "law enforcement" career tilts heavily toward the ego-driven megalomaniac, which leads to little more than the weary exasperation of regular citizens trying to go about normal lives.

i mean if you live in a big city where crime is a problem, then i'm all for useful law enforcement by carefully screened troops with integrity. however, most cops in suburban and rural areas are nothing but a phony masquerade for a governing force with bloated egos, instead resorting to bullying hapless citizens behind the pretense of trivial tax collection.

Two '01 Suzuki SV650 race bikes; '06 Brutale 910 street
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 01:28 AM

Amen brother
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 02:21 AM
The Dude

nice story....good to hear it ended OK....

curious, whereabouts is this? I'm assuming the US.... probably in the south since it's snowing everywhere else?

i can't imagine getting anywhere arguing with cops where i lived in the states (PA and TX).

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoLunch
nice story....good to hear it ended OK....

curious, whereabouts is this? I'm assuming the US.... probably in the south since it's snowing everywhere else?

i can't imagine getting anywhere arguing with cops where i lived in the states (PA and TX).
This was around the suburbs around Atlanta. I probably wouldn't have said anything, however the fact that the officer closed on me so quickly, I figure that he U-turned about a half mile back from where I had passed him originally and to get onto my six as he did he had to have closed on me doing at least 60 MPH in a 35 MPH zone with me INTENTIONALLY doing the speed limit. Then he struck on one of my chief pet peeves, by seeming to disregard the whole "pass-on-left-drive-on-right" thing.

If you come up on me fast and I'm left, I'll move right... Which is EXACTLY what I did. I even SIGNALED--the "flick", well c'mon... The other reason that I argued, was that I was PISSED that he'd closed on me. That's not good mojo to run up on a bike as such. I thought it was a drunk or roadrager... It wasn't until the "ohno-second" when I had that "did those look like 'cop-headlights'" thought--and BAM!

The other thing that got me was the he stated he turned around to check if I was "ok" because I'd been moving my head around so much on the bike. It's called scanning--and it's how you keep from hitting stuff at night... He thought I was "looking down at the bike" to check for a problem. Again no appreciation for the joys of Italian mirrors!

The point of the argument was that I KNEW with 100% certainty that I was doing EVERYTHING appropriate for dealing with the situation. The officer had intended to give me a lecture on traffic or some such... If you're going to come at me on the subject of motorcycles, you'd better be correct. Like most here, it's my passion, obsession... I'm sure the "I'm-about-to-get-rear-ended" Adrenaline Jolt didn't help matters any... again, not one of my best moments...
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesideways
of course traffic enforcement has little to do with reality and everything to do with collecting road-use taxes
Great observations--My sentiments, EXACTLY!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 07:07 AM

So if you (exampl are a poor rider or hit a bump in the road they dont see the cop can take you licence away because they think you might loose control up ahead or something? (not shure i got this story right )

I got pulled over by a MC cop at the highway, my licenceplate was not origional (smaller). He told me to go the first exit of the highway due to traffic, i got wheelspin right in front of him when i took off. Looked like i tried to piss him off, but it was wet where i stood. He cut off my plate, said i had to get a new one, ride safe and took off.

Didnt even get a fine for the plate... guess it was because he rode him self

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Established Member

Sounds like just another out of control cop. Sadly, the USA's getting way too many of them for my taste, and the day of the "Professional Officer" is going by the wayside. Indiana added motor cops two years ago and they're the worst of the lot. They don't know how to ride, they're for the most part pure assholes, and shouldn't be in the position they're in. My opinion, and I don't have a ticket on record.

Jaw chomping, cropped hair, pissy attitudes abound in "law enforcement" today. But the good thing is that you can pretty much say what you want as long as what you say can't be taken as a threat.

Get the ticket and tell 'em what you think.

'08 Brutale in Arrest Me Orange

1967 Suzuki X 6 Hustler

Ducati Monster 1000

White and Silver 2011 Victory Cross Country

1982 Kawasaki AR 80 with 51 actual miles

Orange 2011 Corvette

Last edited by GasCitySmitty; 12-31-2007 at 12:16 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 06:41 PM

A different opinion

Maybe I've been lucky, or maybe it's 'cause I'm an old geezer, but I've never had the sort of experiences you've all mentioned. I've been let off with warnings in California, Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado when speeding in cars or on bikes, and I've generally found the officers to be pretty cool. Including the young Marine-haircut CO state patrolman that turned on his lights just as I was hitting 100 on my Ducati who just advised me to slow it down, and the San Diego cop a few weeks ago who said I'd been doing 55 in a 35 on my Husaberg but seemed more interested in asking questions about the bike than writing me up. And the CA CHP that I ran a red light in front of who let me off last year.

When I get pulled over, I try not to think of the cop as being a dickhead, but rather how I can convince him or to see things from my point of view - I want to make it easy for him to let me off with a warning. It's certainly worked in the past. Your mileage, of course, may vary.

'08 910R
'11 Husaberg FS570
'05 Lotus Elise

Bike History: '64 CL72 Scrambler, '65 Bonneville, '69 TR6, Yamaha 360 RT1, '72 Rickman Weslake 500, '82 Yamaha 550 Vision, '83 Eddie Lawson Replica, '85 900 Ninja, '86 GSXR1100, '91 GSXR750, '95 CBR900, Triumph TR595, TL1000S, Ducati 748 Mono, '95 KTM Duke, CBR929, '01 Aprilia RSVR, '01 KTM Duke II, Monster S4R, Husqvarna 450SMR, Brutale 750, Ducati 999 Mono, Husaberg FS650e
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asg21
When I get pulled over, I try not to think of the cop as being a dickhead, but rather how I can convince him or to see things from my point of view - I want to make it easy for him to let me off with a warning.

asg21 I agree with the honey over vinegar... 99.999% of the time this is the case. Recall several positive experiences with police, including being let off on the 405 Long Beach pulling 120 at the spunky age of 20 some 15 years ago... You'll also please notice that I begin by thanking law enforcement for directly benefitting from their hard work each day. And I still laugh about the "rock-on" cop, who gave me the pumping "hook-em-horns" sign from the other side of a laser speed gun when I thought he'd popped me nailng a 95 MPH sweeper on the BMW Adventure two labor days back...

The Atlanta traffic heuristic: cops generally won't look at you for doing less than 15 over. A ticket at such speeds carries no points and is only a tax--the 14-mph-over-mark is often used as a "step down" for the cops to cut a kind soul a break. Not so in my neck of the woods. They don't play around, and I respect their rules and ride accordingly...

The point I'm making is that if I'm playing 100% nice and you charge my six, then try to pop me for obeying proper lane discipline, should the opportunity present itself--I will express my concern.

Like most of the people lucky enough to ride MV's, I pay A LOT of taxes, and do so with a smile. While I ask no special treatment for being fortunate enough to do so, I demand eqaul treatment--regardless of whether I'm on foot, in a car, or on an MV. I firmly believe that is a civic duty to assert your rights lest they be trod... and understand that responsibilty goes both ways.

Touch wood, I also have no MC tickets, and as you, have had ample opportunity to receive some. If you've not done so already, I'd highly recommend checking out American Autobahn.

YMMV, cheers!

Last edited by jice; 12-31-2007 at 08:27 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode