Custom Paint Protection for MV... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Custom Paint Protection for MV...

Hi saw the INVISIGUARD discussion and wanted to add my own thread... I agree with the consensus that the invisiguard seems to be a waste--found one area where it seemed worthwhile to add some protection, the knee-grabbin' pocket. Occasionally I wore cordura pants, and would have to buff out swirls after riding...

So I set out in search of a solution... I went with Snider's Paint Covering it's essentially blank sheets of non-adhesive reusable 1mm-or-so clear plastic film. I made my own templates and razor-cut the material--think it cost like $20 for a dozen or so sheets. The nice thing is that it's self adhering so you can take it on and off. I installed it with a window tinting kit that I got from the auto store for $20. My results are shown below. The whole process took like 1/2 hour with an intense hangover... HIGHLY recommend this... It's CHEAP, it works, and your free to trial and error. Crooked, peal it off and reposition it... Don't want it on, peel it off put it back on later... A+ in my book..

One area I was VERY concerned about was protecting the headlight glass. BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta sells kits of pre-cut 3mm 3M film for BMW headlights. I tried to find the same for Brutale. I came across some place advertising laser-die cut fitment of the material. It is my OPINION that I was ripped off. I paid like $60 to receive a roll of paper towels, an UNCUT piece of 3 mm 3M material, a razor blade and the "laser-die cut" items you see on the back of the BMW, below. I put them there to remember to laugh at my own stupidity, it works.

This ALWAYS cracks me up... that alone was worth the price... SWINDLED.

Last edited by jice; 12-31-2007 at 04:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
While I was at Atlanta Triumph-Ducati a few weeks ago there was a fellow making templates of the headlights on the MVs there (among other bikes). I asked what he was doing, and he told me he would be marketing protective films....wonder if it is the same company as the BMW stuff you bought???

Anyway, I am all for the do-it-yourself method you used. All the die-cut people are using a simialr type 3M material like you found. Aircraft people have been doing it for years.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! That's great info! It'd be very interesting to see what someone comes up with for a Brutale headlight template. I could never get a template that I liked for the 3mm material. The glass is a very irregular shape, especially since the material is not very pliant and heating and stretching on application would be required for proper fitment--without adding bubbles or fingerprints (UGH).

As for ATD--I've been avoiding that place for fear of walking out with a new F4--and all the distrubances in "the force" that would create! Apparently, I don't need another bike...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jice
Apparently, I don't need another bike...
Who says???? Disregard that person. One can never have enough bikes.

I am always in need of another bike...my problem is lack of room in my garage....well, lack of money too.

I was tempted to buy the White F4 like Dova bought and just park it in the living room...God knows I don't need it to ride....I just NEED it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me
I am always in need of another bike...my problem is lack of room in my garage..... I was tempted to buy the White F4 like Dova bought and just park it in the living room...God knows I don't need it to ride....I just NEED it.
Ed: I've got plenty of secure, air conditioned space to store several additional bikes for you. I'll even exercise them for you..... I'm only 50 miles from your home. You can visit your extra bikes any time you like...

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
God knows I don't need it to ride....I just NEED it.
And if you want to have a couple of them on the other side of the Atlantic (just 8000 km)...I offer myself to keep them on mine...for free...no charge. You know...anything for a friend
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 11:58 PM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa
Ed: I've got plenty of secure, air conditioned space to store several additional bikes for you. I'll even exercise them for you..... I'm only 50 miles from your home. You can visit your extra bikes any time you like...
Randy....you conveniently cut out this part:

....well, lack of money too.

As soon as I win the lottery I will check in with you on proper garage design ideas....meanwhile, if you need some help exercising your fleet, just let me know.

Ferroman, I will take you up on your offer, too. Always interested in riding new places and the Canary Islands would be a grand vacation.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 01:26 AM
King of the Sink

I'm putting a Tankslapper kit (http://www.thetankslapper.biz/) on my BMW - on the recommendations of a great many BMW owners. The kit doesn't use 3-M film everywhere, mainly because it's so hard to put on and it can only be used once (although they'll supply it with all 3-M film sheets) - whereas the other film can be peeled off and re-applied when necessary.

I'm presuming that the application for all of these products would be roughly the same, so have a look at the installation video on their site if you want some tips.

When a passenger of the foot moves in sight, tootle the horn trumpet melodiously to him at first. If he still obstacles your passage, tootle him with vigor and express by word of mouth the warning, "Hi, hi."

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 04:22 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Who says???? Disregard that person.
You sir, would have me begging to sleep on a haybale in Cartersville...

Agreed, the pearl white F4 is EXTREMELY APPEALING!

I did try to present your argument, and even did the whole "Look how freakin' happy Dova is in these pictures..." But I was given the option of getting something only if I sell something. Ugh, checkmate!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sventekoz
I'm putting a Tankslapper kit (http://www.thetankslapper.biz/) on my BMW - on the recommendations of a great many BMW owners. The kit doesn't use 3-M film everywhere, mainly because it's so hard to put on and it can only be used once (although they'll supply it with all 3-M film sheets) - whereas the other film can be peeled off and re-applied when necessary.

I'm presuming that the application for all of these products would be roughly the same, so have a look at the installation video on their site if you want some tips.
UGH! I've made a mistake, the Snider's stuff is NOT 3M... Here's a review of it... Wow, guess I saw plastic and assumed 3M--will edit that out of the original post! Good catch,Sventekoz.

The stuff I used is pretty similar to the tankslappers: non-adhesive, put it on with simple window tinting kit--squeegee and slick/clean-drying solution. It can be taken off and put back on/reused. Think the difference is that you cut this stuff yourself. There's another 3M film that's one-time use 3M's Scotchcal , this is not that...

I'd thought about getting Tech-Spec Snakeskin Grips for the 675... That stuff looks to be THE BOMB... Had even considered replacing they StompGrips that I have on my track bike with it... It's non-adhesive, reapplicable, and LOOKS CRAZY STICKY and cool. It may warrant another thread, but they also do custom applications, so were we to supply them a template they could do an application for F4 and one for Brutale, imagine the area around the throttle bodies and airbox would make for different templates. That's how they did the 675 kit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode