Left side indicators not working - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Left side indicators not working

So just recently my front and rear left indicators stopped working.. this morning I got around to having a look at the problem. I checked the fuses, glad to see separate fuses for right and left - yep, left fuse is blown. Easy enough, right? Replace with spare fuse. Ignition on, check indicators, left starts working. After 3-4 seconds, stops working. What the! Check replacement fuse, still good to go. Swap fuses around a bit. Everything working but the left hand side indicators.

I unscrewed the indicator switchgear from the handlebar but it's still a 'black box' where the indicator switch is and I don't want to break the plastic opening it up.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be possible causes? I think it's really weird it worked for a few seconds when I put the new fuse in then stopped, even though the fuse is still OK.. does this just sound like dodgy indicator switchgear? It's not the most expensive looking piece on the bike by any stretch of the imagination..

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 08:17 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rents
So just recently my front and rear left indicators stopped working.. this morning I got around to having a look at the problem. I checked the fuses, glad to see separate fuses for right and left - yep, left fuse is blown. Easy enough, right? Replace with spare fuse. Ignition on, check indicators, left starts working. After 3-4 seconds, stops working. What the! Check replacement fuse, still good to go. Swap fuses around a bit. Everything working but the left hand side indicators.

I unscrewed the indicator switchgear from the handlebar but it's still a 'black box' where the indicator switch is and I don't want to break the plastic opening it up.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be possible causes? I think it's really weird it worked for a few seconds when I put the new fuse in then stopped, even though the fuse is still OK.. does this just sound like dodgy indicator switchgear? It's not the most expensive looking piece on the bike by any stretch of the imagination..

Thanks!
I'm having a similar problem. My front left indicator isn't working. My dealer says the switch went bad & needs to be replaced. I haven't had time to bring it in yet, but will update when I do.

06 910S / Matris Damper / Arrow Mid Pipe / CRG Mirrors / Moto License Plate Relo & Bar Ends / Frame & Axle Sliders / Ohlins Rear Spring / 41 tooth rear sprocket / Custom Seat
03 HD V-Rod

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there"... George Harrison
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 01:27 PM
CHB

My left side stopped working but it was the bulb! Put a new one in and then a few weeks later went again? Dealer said they don't know why the bulbs keep going? No fuse issue though SORRY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 07:55 PM
My left indicator goes haywire when the fan comes on. Both turn signals start flashing like emergency signals. I think it is also related to the electrical issue regarding the flashing high beam.
I have contacted my dealer and am waiting for them to get back from their holiday vacation.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky lee surf
My left indicator goes haywire when the fan comes on. Both turn signals start flashing like emergency signals. I think it is also related to the electrical issue regarding the flashing high beam.
I have contacted my dealer and am waiting for them to get back from their holiday vacation.
yes you have likely succumbed to the dreaded electrical box gremlins. the evil electrical box in question is the one on the right side of the fuel tank with all the fuses in it. in addition to the fuses, there are numerous solid-state relays in there and some poorly designed circuitry. make your dealer put a new box in once the re-designed version is released for your model year bike.

Two '01 Suzuki SV650 race bikes; '06 Brutale 910 street
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rents
this is easy to troubleshoot if you have a decent DMM meter that can measure voltage and resistance (ohms).

basically you have to locate the 12-pin connector harness that feeds the left-grip controls. it is tucked into the headlight somewhere. the pins that control the left blinker are pins #5 and #6.
Pin #5: Red with black stripe on one side of connector (Light blue wire on other side of connector)
Pin #6: Blue on one side of connector (Blue with black stripe on other side of connector)

Pin #6 should be shorted to chassis ground and - of battery. check this with an ohm meter for 0 ohms resistance.

Pin #5 normally floats (when left blinker is *not* active). when you activate the left blinker, pin #5 is shorted to pin #6 inside the left grip controls, and therefore pin 5 becomes also shorted to ground. check that pins #5 and #6 are shorted with 0 ohms resistance with an ohm meter (when the left blinker is activated).

if everything checks out ok here, then the problem is not your grip controls. the next place to look would be in the evil electrical relay box on the right side of the fuel tank (the one with the fuses in it).

hth.

Two '01 Suzuki SV650 race bikes; '06 Brutale 910 street
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks ridesideways! I'll get my hands on a DMM meter.

Appreciated
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky lee surf View Post
Hi Ricky!
My bike does the same thing now: If I start indicating when the fan is on both indicators and the high beam starts flashing.

What was the fix for your bike?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 07:59 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidg View Post
Hi Ricky!
My bike does the same thing now: If I start indicating when the fan is on both indicators and the high beam starts flashing.

What was the fix for your bike?
Welcome aboard. What bike you you have. If it is a Brutale it might be your SPU
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 02:49 AM

check inside the wiring connectors corrosion does accrue in there. clean with spray electrical switch cleaner.Fixed mine WORKING FINE.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode