Are you satisfied with the Brutale? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Are you satisfied with the Brutale?

I'm a newbie here searching for the perfect bike. I currently have a 2004 Yamaha R1 and a Husqvarna SM610. Both bikes are great and yet they don't satisfy me. I love the power and smoothness of the R1, but the riding position is a bit tough and my wife can't stand sitting on the back of it. The Husky is brilliant and the riding position is great, but I can't ride it longer than a couple hours as the bike's vibration and hard seat gets to me fast. So I'm on a quest to find a bike that fits those needs. I think I have narrowed it down to these bikes: MV Agusta Brutale, Triumph Speed Triple, Aprilia Shiver 750, and the KTM Super Duke.

I love the looks of the Brutale the best and it has that Italian apeal that I like. Here are a few questions maybe you can answer for me.

1. What do you like about the bike?
2. What don't you like about the bike?
3. Any complaints from the passengers?
4. How's the insurance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I love my 910R.
* Power (yes, all I can use)
* Sound (even stock was awesome, and with my Arrows slip ons it is simply music)
* Brakes (one finger stops as hard as I care to use them)
* Handling (what can I say,...no chicken strips on my tires and I have never felt that I was even close to riding 100%)
* Looks....say no more.
* Exclusivity (you do not see yourself on every corner to say the least)

What I don't like:
* parts prices / availability...but I really can't complain considering how few are sold in this country (less then 1000 MVs sold in USA annually)
* Accessory availability / prices...let's face it, there just aren't as many people making stuff for MVs as there are for Suzukis or Ducatis.

I have only ridden one lady friend...we rode about 150 miles with only one stop near the end for gas. She said she was comfy....but then, maybe she was just saying that. On the other hand, she keeps pestering me to go for another ride. It is a smallish hard seat. She is about 5'3" and not overly well padded if you know what I mean. At least the footpegs are reasonably placed for the passenger. My step-son (20 years old) said the seat was OK for him (5'10" and slim build), but we only rode about 30 miles.

My insurance was surprisingly inexpensive for a sport bike full coverage. Dairyland Insurance. Also got a discount for alarm installation. I think the rationale is that MV owners are by nature more experienced, older and more prone to sane riding habits.

Test ride one....I will bet you return with a huge grin on your face.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 10:52 AM

Welcome to the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 11:24 AM

+1 to what ESQ'Z ME said. I am 100% happy with my Brute and I have never said that about any other bike I've owned.

I can't comment on passenger comfort. I don't do pillions.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Established Member

How do I like the Brutale...let me piggyback some of esq'z me's remarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Spot
I'm a newbie here searching for the perfect bike. I

4. How's the insurance?
I love my 910R.
* Power (yes, all I can use)

It does have great power, but using it is not like using anything else. Abrupt, glitchy, but plenty of it.
* Sound (even stock was awesome, and with my Arrows slip ons it is simply music)

Air intake makes great music. Add pipes and you can then hear the exhaust too.
* Brakes (one finger stops as hard as I care to use them)

Better brakes on the R than the S, but they work fine
* Handling (what can I say,...no chicken strips on my tires and I have never felt that I was even close to riding 100%)

Handling is subjective. I think my Ducs handled as well. But it does a good job.
* Looks....say no more.

Like a beautiful woman, be careful before you commit. Everything has warts,and when you find one with an MV, you better be close to your dealer and be prepared to wait for parts. MV/CagivaNA supply chain, IMO sucks swampwater.
* Exclusivity (you do not see yourself on every corner to say the least)

That is one of the wrong reasons to buy something, but I am guilty of it too. Oh, how many times I've done it.
What I don't like:
* parts prices / availability...but I really can't complain considering how few are sold in this country (less then 1000 MVs sold in USA annually)

I'm more of a complainer about things that don't work and when repair parts aren't in a pipeline. I waited over two months for a front fender. And for the exclusitivity of the bike, expect higher parts prices.
* Accessory availability / prices...let's face it, there just aren't as many people making stuff for MVs as there are for Suzukis or Ducatis.

Yep, it's just about EMoto and a couple of others when getting aftermarket. Trust me, they know they can charge very high prices and get by with it. But then, see quote above.

I have only ridden one lady friend...we rode about 150 miles with only one stop near the end for gas. She said she was comfy....but then, maybe she was just saying that. On the other hand, she keeps pestering me to go for another ride. It is a smallish hard seat. She is about 5'3" and not overly well padded if you know what I mean. At least the footpegs are reasonably placed for the passenger. My step-son (20 years old) said the seat was OK for him (5'10" and slim build), but we only rode about 30 miles.

My wife won't even get on it. And looking at the pillion, I can't say I blame her, nor am I upset that I have to go on those early Saturday morning rides by myself.

My insurance was surprisingly inexpensive for a sport bike full coverage. Dairyland Insurance. Also got a discount for alarm installation. I think the rationale is that MV owners are by nature more experienced, older and more prone to sane riding habits.

My State Farm insurance isn't any higher than any of my other bikes.
Test ride one....I will bet you return with a huge grin on your face.

Again, he's right. First time I rode one, my youngest son who also rides told me when I came back into the dealer's lot that I would buy it. Said I hadn't smiled like that over a bike in a long time. And yes, I did buy one, and that is where the problem comes...once you buy, and you have to wait for two to three months (and I've heard of longer times) to get what should be a minor part, the frustration sets in. And with my closest dealer over three hours away (which I knew when buying), getting service can be a bitch.

Overall, the bike handles well, it's "fairly" comfortable for Sunday rides, and the engine is a treat to be enjoyed. I doubt I'd buy another, but then this one's still in my garage. But then again, Corse Superbikes is putting a package together on a new Duc for me too.

And as esq'z me says, "Ride one for more than a few minutes before you buy it. Ride it in all different kinds of traffic and on different roads."

They are not for everyone.

'08 Brutale in Arrest Me Orange

1967 Suzuki X 6 Hustler

Ducati Monster 1000

White and Silver 2011 Victory Cross Country

1982 Kawasaki AR 80 with 51 actual miles

Orange 2011 Corvette

Last edited by GasCitySmitty; 12-06-2007 at 12:11 PM.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Established Member

Quote:
4. How's the insurance?
prior 750, now 910s w/full mva race exhaust
1. power, ride, handling, looks
2. waiting for anything from mva italy
3. short gals don't complain. as they get taller, the complaining is relative
4. not bad
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 12:20 PM

I love my Brutale!!!
it's great moto!

I had a brutal 910S but I have destroyed it in the past July..........
now I have a 910R..... GREAT MOTO!!
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
.......... The Husky is brilliant and the riding position is great, but I can't ride it longer than a couple hours as the bike's vibration and hard seat gets to me fast. ...............
If those are your concerns, then you should take the Brutale off your buy list. It has a lot of vibration and the seat is hard, not to mention the suspension is stiff, throttle twitchy.

With that said, to answer your question "Are you satisfied with the Brutale" my answer is a SUPER YES, not just satisfied, but I totally love it (it is my seventh bike, and in my top two favorites.) The Brutale's good points far outweigh their bad points, given what I want from my bikes.

Last edited by Sig.Scuro; 12-06-2007 at 01:46 PM.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I'm a newbie here searching for the perfect bike.
Perfect bike??? LOL. You are a newbie. j/k but there is no such thing. I'd suggest you find the best bike for Y-O-U...

Quote:
the bike's vibration and hard seat gets to me fast.
Vibration on the Brute will be made worse with a bad sync/tune, better with a good sync/tune. Tuned properly, it's about what you'd expect from an I-4. Some owners use the "Bar Snake" gadget. I haven't felt the need.

As far as the seat goes, it bothers some and others have no problem. I wear a pair of padded cycling shorts, or used to. Also did some suspension tuning. Went from painful after a tank of gas to painless. A number of aftermarket seats are also available. Considered one but forgot about it once the suspension was set up to my tastes.

Quote:
So I'm on a quest to find a bike that fits those needs. I think I have narrowed it down to these bikes: MV Agusta Brutale, Triumph Speed Triple, Aprilia Shiver 750, and the KTM Super Duke.
Of those, the Speed Triple would probably be your best bet for carrying a passenger on any sort of a regular basis. The passenger seat on the Brute is truly horrid. Super Duke is cheesy but to each his own. Shiver, haven't seen one yet but its a 750cc twin with not much output. Not too thrilling, IMO.

Quote:
Pretty much everything. Does the in-town thing, screams the canyons and works for track days. I never do straight line riding except to get to the canyons, so highway performance is meaningless. I don't race any more, and I'm not a calendar model so no need for a fully faired bike.

Quote:
Nothing. Any objections were trivial and easily modified to my needs/desires. The throttle twitchiness mentioned above was cured with a proper tune.

Quote:
Haven't heard any complaints from back there since I hit that big bump.

Quote:
4. How's the insurance?
Cheap as it's not a faired bike.

Harley-Davidson: Seen one, heard 'em all...
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 02:48 PM

Am I satisfied?

Eminently.

Welcome

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode