Shift drum, Again - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Shift drum, Again

I know this topic's been discussed ad nauseum, but does there exist a shift drum for the Brutale that DOESN'T have neutral in the middle of 1st and 2nd gear REGARDLESS of direction? I know (by reading the past threads) that you can reverse the shift pattern either by shift drum or linkage but this still has the horrible, horrible neutral gear in between. I'd prefer having neutral at the top and tapping DOWN to upshift (to a higher gear); and, inversely kicking UP to downshift (to a lower gear). For me, at least, this seems logical and natural. So, I did a search for Brutale shift drums and found the standard reverse GP shift. Does anyone know if this magical shift drum exists and can you include a link to a part number?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Established Member

I can't understand why you'd want this, nor is it any of my business, but no constant mesh transmission I've ever seen could be made to work that way. Most utilise a common dog clutch for 1st and 2nd.

I'd prefer not to downshift into Neutral under any circumstances. A panic shift to 1st is dangerous enough.

F4 1000R #67
YZFR6 #67
853R
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

I may be mistaken cuz my eye sight isn't as good as it used to be but when I watch the Moto GP or any other motorcycle race on TV, they often flash the gear indicator of whatever bike they're monitoring. Every one I've seen has a 654321N configuration so I assumed it was commercially available. I'm probably in the loner camp but I instinctively want to press DOWN to bump up the gear to go faster, like pressing the accelerator pedal on a car. I want to kick UP to downshift and make the bike slower. To me it makes sense. I've never liked the pause or jump between first and second gear. I wonder though if the neutral between first and second isn't a carryover from an automobile's (manual) gearing. I've never had a panic shift into first ever, regardless of configuration but I have misgeared into second gear from both up and down configurations. It could be I just suck at shifting into second gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 05:11 AM
Established Member

I must admit I haven't seen any such display on TV.
It's probably more to do with a programme editors idea than reality.
Not that I think TV lies or anything...
Most true race bikes are 1 up and 5 down.

F4 1000R #67
YZFR6 #67
853R
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Red Enough,

Here I am believing in TV! D'Oh! Oh, Homer Simpson, where are you when I need you? Thanks for the help.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 01:34 AM
Established Member

Send a message via Yahoo to t1n0m3n
"Neutral is not placed "below" first gear to prevent the rider accidentally selecting neutral while attempting to downshift to first gear, possibly leading to an accident."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_construction

Scroll down to the "Transmission" Section

2006 MV Agusta Brutale 910s Silver/Red, Emoto Hugger
2004 Aprilia Tuono - Black - Leo Vince Ti Slip On, Gabro Chip, Fully Derestricted, Cycle Cat clipons

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode