Newbie interested in Brutale - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Newbie interested in Brutale

Hello Guys and Gals

I currently own a 2005 S4R to give you some background.
All though the S4R is a great bike I do not find it as refined as
I would like it to be.

I have heard the brutale is a direct competitor to the S4R. I have not had a chance to test ride one yet however I did sit on one at the international motorcycle show recently.

I really dig the design and it seemed comfy in the saddle.

I know there is a 750, 910 and 1078 coming out soon. I was leaning towards a 750 or a 910s.

Any years or model you recommend. Anything I should avoid.

Do you guys have any recommendations? It will be used as a daily driver so it will need to be reliable an not to hard on the back. The S4R seems to be fine for this an it gets about 40mpg.

1.) How is the riding position on long rides.
2.) How is the gas Mileage
3.) How is the Maintinence cost.
4.) Has anyone on this board been able to comapre a S4R to Brutale.

Sorry for all the questions =) and thanks for your time in advance.

Robert =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 06:13 AM
Established Member

Hi Rob and welcome.

I have an '04 750 Brutale so i'll try to answer as honestly and subjectively as i can.
1. Excellent. Similar to the monster. Buzzier through the grips than the v-twin though.
2. Worse than dreadful around town. Not too bad on a run. I ride mine most days to work and get about 180km before the low light. 240 or so on a run.
3. I work as a motorcycle mechanic in a bike shop and find MV's to be among the easiest and most pleasant bikes to service and repair. Unfortunately most genuine dealers will charge you space-shuttle rates.
4. Surprisingly the S4R and Brutale are quite similar in performance given the differences with the V2 & I4 engines. My lap times are similar on both bikes.

It's interesting you mention the word "refined". I've owned Ducati's for many years and my MV is definately more "refined".
That's not to say it's better, because I don't think it is.
The Brutale is a great bike that stands alone (usually on one wheel ).

F4 1000R #67
YZFR6 #67
853R
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 06:38 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Welcome aboard.

If by refined you mean neater looking and more well thought out, the Brutale is far more refined than the S4. I would also say the build quality is higher.

I disagree that it is not comfortable around town. It is what I use to buzz around on. Many of my friends ride cruisers and their idea of performance riding is two abreast in the same lane at 40 mph. The Brutale is fine for this as I can sit upright on it all day. It also fine for longer rides. The wind buffeting is pretty stout at 80 and above but not intolerable. If I remember correctly I can travel about 140 miles on a tank.

If you are the type to birng your bike to the dealer for an oil change every 3000 miles, maintenance can be expensive. I'm not a mechanic but it seems they charge by the hour not the bike.

Don't give it another thought. If you like your Ducati, you will love the MV.
CAG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 06:41 AM

Hi Rob and welcome. I'm sure there are enough Brut owners on here to answer your questions. Welcome aboard!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

The S4R is not a happy bike under 4.5 to 5k rpms even with a 14t front sprocket.
Its very jerky and gutless. I find myself feathering the clutch on city streets and in traffic.

How is the brutale model line for this?

Thanks
Robert
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 08:01 AM

Hi. and welcome.

I changed from an Aprilia to a Brutale; and the Aprilias are probably closer in feel and performance to the Ducatis than to the MV's. I was told I'd find the Brutale 910 much more 'grabby' under throttle than the Aprilia, but I found the opposite: the Brutale, by comparison to me seems silky smooth (but certainly with a lot of get up and go). Perhaps its moving from the very torquey V-twin to the defineitely more 'refined' ILF. Mind you, I say that, but i've only had my Brutale for 3 weeks, most of it raining - just coming up to the first service. If you want something that is REALLY grabby, try the Hypermotard; but beware of that right wrist! I had a serious look at one, but it wouldn't suit my riding intentions (longer distances with some touring).

As far as build quality and overall feel goes, I think the MV has it all over the other two; despite the fact that Ducati has the name and the limelight. On close inspection, every part of the Brutale screams quality. I guess I was spoilt, because I was able to get the 910R at a good price, and just a look at the front wheels and forks was enough to convince me.

Ok, OK, so I'm a neophyte, but I can't see me ever going back to an Ape or a Duc.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 09:19 AM
kjk

Welcome,

I had to make the same choice......I had been riding Duc/Apes for years but wanted to get something more comfortable to replace my 998. Basically it came down to how the bike felt when I sat on it, the Brutale is compact and the riding position for me is way more upright and comfortable. As someone mentioned, I too can stay on the Brut for long rides. For me the S4r actually leaned me over too far. I still prefer the vtwin power delivery but would never trade my Brut in for anything else. Give the Brut a try.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobS4r
1.) How is the riding position on long rides.
2.) How is the gas Mileage
3.) How is the Maintinence cost.
4.) Has anyone on this board been able to comapre a S4R to Brutale.
1. Depends on..

a) what you mean by long
b) how well your suspension has been set up (makes a world of difference)
c) your roads and
d) your personal preferences - what is comfy (or not) to you. Some hate the stock seat, others don't have a problem at all.

2) Depends on how well the bike is tuned. I get around 35mpg on my 750, so almost 150 miles before the light comes on. For a 750 or an early 910, get a chip from Moto One and go from there.

3) Depends on

a) your dealer and

b) your ability to do some things. Either way, it's less than any of the Ducs I've ever owned.

4) Depends on...

a) your personal preferences. The Duc either has that timeless V-twin feel or that horribly dated V-twin feel. The Duc is visually rough in terms of overall package.

b) where you live. If you ride canyons or track, the poor f/r weight distribution of the Duc will tax that old chassis. The Brute has the edge here. If you live/ride flatlands, the Duc will be fine.

c) your riding preferences.

Harley-Davidson: Seen one, heard 'em all...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 11:13 AM

Welcome

I use mine for commuting, track days, touring, everything else.

Just passed 20,000 miles.

It's an incredible machine.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-23-2007, 12:03 PM

Another Option

I had an S4R for two years with most of the standard mods (gearing, exhaust, PCIII, airbox) and I think the KTM SuperDuke is a lot closer to it than a Brutale. One reason I went with an MV is the shorter reach to the bars - the KTM's riding position is more like the Ducati. I also felt the engine was a lot smoother, but that's just based on one demo ride.

I also had an Aprilia RSVR Mille ('01) for two years and felt it offered a real alternative to a Ducati 996, but the current Tuono (just one demo ride) felt a lot bigger to me - the MV really seems small and short, which I prefer (I'm 5'9").

They're all cool bikes, and I really did enjoy my S4R, but I really like the feeling of being on a small scoot - the Hypermotard is tops in that regard, even though it has a longer wheelbase - the feeling of being right on top of the front wheel makes me feel more comfortable when cornering. If the HM had about 30 more hp, I'd probably have gotten one.

'08 910R
'11 Husaberg FS570
'05 Lotus Elise

Bike History: '64 CL72 Scrambler, '65 Bonneville, '69 TR6, Yamaha 360 RT1, '72 Rickman Weslake 500, '82 Yamaha 550 Vision, '83 Eddie Lawson Replica, '85 900 Ninja, '86 GSXR1100, '91 GSXR750, '95 CBR900, Triumph TR595, TL1000S, Ducati 748 Mono, '95 KTM Duke, CBR929, '01 Aprilia RSVR, '01 KTM Duke II, Monster S4R, Husqvarna 450SMR, Brutale 750, Ducati 999 Mono, Husaberg FS650e

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode