Abrupt throttle "fix" ?? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Abrupt throttle "fix" ??

Has anyone found a different throttle cam to try? I've used the company G2 before but they don't have one for the Brutale.

I've read other posts here about this characteristic and am trying to adapt to this abrupt throttle. As in very very small movement creates more than wanted results. Not just from off throttle to slighty on but mostly in the first third of throttle travel.

The dealer I bought the bike from "zeroed out" the ECU and verified it was the latest version but I didn't notice any improvement.

Thanks for any constructive ideas !

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Established Member

I've seen posts on Thumpertalk where people made their own "throttle cams" by filing and/or adding material to the stock throttle assembly. I'd expect you could do the same thing with the Brutale's stock assembly. Go to the Yamaha YZ450 section of thumpertalk.com and do a search on throttle cams and you'll find something... here's one example:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...t=throttle+cam
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 05:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Matty
power commander and custom map makes that go away

Matty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 07:15 PM

The "race" throttle tube mod actually makes the throttle open faster by increasing the throttle tube radius.

For a street bike, this translates to low speed highside… If you are having a trigger (on/off) throttle issue - you don’t want that.

A variable cam throttle tube will help address this issue by decreasing the throttle tube radius during the first part of the throttle pull (slowing the rate of pull on the throttle cable) then increase the radius back to normal when you open the throttle further.

Sam (the owner) at G2 is a really helpful guy, and if you send him a stock throttle tube, I’m sure he can match it to something he already has in his product line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanin
I've seen posts on Thumpertalk where people made their own "throttle cams" by filing and/or adding material to the stock throttle assembly. I'd expect you could do the same thing with the Brutale's stock assembly. Go to the Yamaha YZ450 section of thumpertalk.com and do a search on throttle cams and you'll find something... here's one example:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...t=throttle+cam
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the great info! Here's what I did today... I disconnected the O2 sensor and found the throttle to be much better to my liking anyway. Yes, it still has the "on/off" type switch from fully closed to initially opening but I can deal with that.
Don't know if there are any long term consequences to this action but I'm satisfied for now anyway. Of course what I would really like is a throttle that is smooth and controllable like my ZX14R. Best throttle action I have ever experienced! Of course it's a whole different engine etc....
Dave

P.S. Dynojet just installed a Power Commander on an '08 910R but the owner hasn't ridden it yet so I don't know any results yet. And this 910R has an aftermarket exhaust system (don't remember which one) .

Last edited by Rider1; 11-17-2007 at 08:10 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider1
P.S. Dynojet just installed a Power Commander on an '08 910R but the owner hasn't ridden it yet so I don't know any results yet. And this 910R has an aftermarket exhaust system (don't remember which one) .
Wait a minute...you're saying there finally is a PowerCommander solution available for Euro3 Brutes????
Can you please give more details about that ?
As far as i know, PC III won't work with Euro3 MVs because of the lambda sensor that keeps on sending A/F info back to the ECU which then corrects whatever changes one's just done with the PCIII...

Anyway, any add'l info would be much appreciated.

cheers
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by khameron
Wait a minute...you're saying there finally is a PowerCommander solution available for Euro3 Brutes????
Can you please give more details about that ?
As far as i know, PC III won't work with Euro3 MVs because of the lambda sensor that keeps on sending A/F info back to the ECU which then corrects whatever changes one's just done with the PCIII...

Anyway, any add'l info would be much appreciated.

cheers
Pat Clark Motorsports, Las Vegas, NV sent an '08 910R with a modified exhaust to Dynojet last week but like I said in my previous post I haven't heard the results yet.
Dave
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2007, 11:14 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider
The "race" throttle tube mod actually makes the throttle open faster by increasing the throttle tube radius.

For a street bike, this translates to low speed highside… If you are having a trigger (on/off) throttle issue - you don’t want that.
The point of the post was that you can make the throttle have a cam type profile of whatever you want by filing or filling material where you want. To make the throttle pull more progressive, he'd obviously want to file material from the first portion of the throttle tube that controls the first 1/4 or so but, he may want to add material for the last 1/4 or so.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 04:14 AM

No, the point is to not be messing with something as important as the throttle tube. You can imagine something coming loose and jam the throttle wide open...

Just seem like bad advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanin
The point of the post was that you can make the throttle have a cam type profile of whatever you want by filing or filling material where you want. To make the throttle pull more progressive, he'd obviously want to file material from the first portion of the throttle tube that controls the first 1/4 or so but, he may want to add material for the last 1/4 or so.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2007, 07:32 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider
No, the point is to not be messing with something as important as the throttle tube. You can imagine something coming loose and jam the throttle wide open...

Just seem like bad advice.
So we should also stop changing our tires, brake pads, brake lines, chains, sprockets ... because if something was to come loose, no telling what could happen. If modifying a throttle tube is beyond your mechanical abilities, by all means don't mess with it. But, just because it is beyond yours, don't assume its beyond everyone else's.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode