first impressions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

first impressions

After sitting watching the rain for two days, with my new Brute in the garage, the roads finally dried off by lunch time. The weather was still threatening; but bugger the rain, I was off!

Took her out for about 200 km through varying roads and riding conditions. Got caught in the rain a few times, but also got in a fair bit of dry road riding.

First, a bit about me: Took up the sport at 55, and been riding a bit less than 2 years. Tend to be a omewhat conservative rider. Moved up rapidly from VTR to FZ6 to Aprilia Tuono and now the Brutale.

I thought I'd miss the rumble and incredible torque of the V Twin, but the Brutakle was, by comparison silky smooth, with an amazing response; although I didn't push it much above 6000rpm for its first ride.

First thing I noticed was the (relative) lack of engine braking, but that's probably not a bad thing, as I tended to over-rely on it, riding the Tuono.

Hit a couple of false neutrals between 5th and 6th, due to lazy gear changes. The posiotion of the lever had a bit to do with that. At first it was a bit difficult finding neutral at the lights, but by the end of the ride I'd either got used to it; or the gearbox had freed up a bit.

The most noticeable difference was in the cornering. I used think that the Tuono was fantastic in this regard, but the Brutale will leave it for dead. Even with a brand new bike, factory set suspension and tyres not yet scrubbed in, the Brutale glides through the corners at not much less speed than I would have been pushing the T. The centre of gravity on the Brutale is probably a bit lower, and the forged wheels are probably a factor as well. Still, I will have to go through some re-education, to take full advantage of the Brutale's capability.

The seating position on a relatively long ride was surprisingly comfortable, and it was also easy to get my forearms down and horizontal, without strain. It felt weird being so far forward that I couldn't see the front wheel, but I didn't feel cramped. I intend to take the Brutale on some long trips (eg to Brisbane and back; about 2500kn over a few days), and I'll be interested to see how it compares to the Tuono.

My only negatives so far are:
- not being able to change the display from trip to odo to clock without being stopped, in neutral, and with the engine running. Seems a bit silly
- The gear lever does seem rather close to the LH peg, and I was getting a sore foot after a while, but I'll have to fiddle a bit with the pegs (adjustable pegs are a big plus)
- dicky mirrors
- after a while I was getting a numb backside, but I'll probably adjust (The Tuono seat felt like a plank for the first few weeks). Someone in the forum suggest4ed giving your bum a rest by sitting near or on the pillion seat. Felt a bit awkward, but worked.

All in all, I know I'm not going to regret the change. I used to get a silly grin on my face after riding the Tuono; but with the Brutale, it's going to be more like an expression of shocked amazement.

Oh; and I'll have to start chatting up the pretty little waitress at the Thai restaurant; because no one over a size 6 is going to fit on that pillion seat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 01:55 AM

Sounds like a lovely day!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 03:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
Hi Caustis, I didn't know you had to be stopped to scroll through the functions?, I do mine on the run.
Like your comment about the "small " girl for the pillion.

MVA Sydney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 06:13 AM

what roads did you take her out on out of interest? im from sydney myself, currently in newcastle
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by !nsane
what roads did you take her out on out of interest? im from sydney myself, currently in newcastle
Out along the Putty Road, but only as far as Colo Heights, when it started raining with a little bit of hail. Back to Windsor and along through Cattai then along a little road called Halcrows Road, which is like a mini Old Pacific Highway, with a few nice bends. Then back and along towards Wisemans Ferry, but started raining again, so returned home through Glenorie in the rain (I live in Western Sydney, so that area is close to me).

By the way, I retired early, so I can now ride mid-week.

Nice to see there are a few Brutale riders in Sydney. The first time I sat on one was when a fellow called Laurence stopped to give me a lift to the servo when I ran out of fuel at the Hawkesbury Bridge. I was impressed then, particularly the way it cornered. If Laurence is around; thanks. I meant to send my appreciation, but lost his business card.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 07:16 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Hello Caustis. Great bike, isn't it??
I think you can change your display on the run...I can on my '08 910R. Try pressing that starter button again.
Ride safe.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 07:54 AM
Established Member

The gear shift lever is adjustable also. Mine was delivered all the way back and it was difficult getting a toe under it... moved it all the way forward and its fine now. Mine will scroll through the odo, trip and clock functions going down the road also.

Super fun bike, huh?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode