Check your throttle return - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Check your throttle return

Yes I know we are all scouring the net looking for pictures from the Milan show - but - for all you Brute owners, especially people with throttling issues surging driveability etc - please check that your throttle mechanism is not binding and snaps shut like it should.

I ask this because I have seen two bikes recently where the right side [duh]bar end weight was pushed into the bar and tightened to the point where the throttle was binding, severely impeeding driveability. Both owners were confounded as to why their bikes were vertually impossible to ride smoothly - check please.

one of the owners was me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 09:21 PM
King of the Sink

This happened to me, too. I loosened it, and also told the dealer about it - who loosened it more. It turned out to be rust, and it looks like it may have been a faulty batch because it was replaced under warranty without any quibbles at all. As a side note, the standard or service from my local dealer (Rick Gill's) and the Oz distributor (Paul Feaney) has always been fantastic - which is always good to know!

When a passenger of the foot moves in sight, tootle the horn trumpet melodiously to him at first. If he still obstacles your passage, tootle him with vigor and express by word of mouth the warning, "Hi, hi."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 11:58 PM

As I have been experiencing a lot of surging, especially at near closed throttle I decided to have a look see. While the bar end did appear to have enough clearance, the throttle action did feel a bit funky so I thought I better dig a bit further, so I removed the two allen head screws holding the cable cover together. Upon removing the bottom half of the cable cover I found the return cable "off track".

Upon opening to full throttle could see the cable was kinked...most likely due to too much slack.

So I straightend the cable with needle nose pliers, adjusted the slack out of both cables and reassembled. Action now seems much smoother and will see if the repair has a positive effect on surging come this weekend....

Brock
Attached Images

Brock

I sure do feel a lot more like I do now than when I first got here....

2004 Brutale S
2016 BMW S1000XR
2001 BMW R1100S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Established Member

thanks for the heads-up. that would make it difficult to be smooth on the throttle!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 08:47 PM

It's Improved But.....

Took the Brute out for a quick spin and the throttle still didn't feel quite right, it was meeting some resistance on closing. So I decided to pull the tank and have a look at the other ends of the throttle cables. As I opened and closed the throttle, I could feel that the return cable had a problem. Upon removing the cable, this is what I found....it obviously had been kinked on this end as well and was the source of the hangup. After straightening and lubing with graphite powder all seemed to be well again.

With today's ride I could feel an improvement on surging, but it is still evident between 4 and 5K. Not too much of a problem as I am usually well above this rpm range but still is a bit annoying when it occurs....

Brock
Attached Images

Brock

I sure do feel a lot more like I do now than when I first got here....

2004 Brutale S
2016 BMW S1000XR
2001 BMW R1100S
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 09:19 PM
CHB

Well that sucks! Good find.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode