2006 910 Brutale, questions on rideability - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

2006 910 Brutale, questions on rideability

I know this is a biased group of enthusiasts to ask, but I'm looking for honest observations and thoughts on the 910 motor.

I've been considering a Brutale for about two months, have ridden a demo, and learned what I can about the bike and its temperament.

I'm not an overly aggressive rider, I've done track days, some distance riding, tours through mountain roads (twisty and quick), so I'm familiar with power delivery from past sport bikes.

What concerned me the most (and what I still see posted here) is the erratic nature of the fueling on the 910. It seems the 750s were revvy, but smooth, while the 910s sound to be snatchy at certain throttle positions. I experienced this during my test ride (and yes, I am familiar with FI systems). I'd hate for that to be a problem in a switchback or mountain road.

Having been spit off of a KTM with low-throttle issues, I'm concerned about the problem. Also I noted the very buzzy nature of the bars.

Is this a characteristic of the 910 "as delivered"?, or am I witnessing some individual cases where it's more noticeable than others? Since I am serious about a Brutale, I am only trying to get information in hopes to get a predictable, yet high-performance cycle.

Thx.

Last edited by hillbillypolack; 11-04-2007 at 09:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
IMO... the engine torque characteristics are what make the 910 Brutale jerk your arms straight when you twist that right grip. Lets face it, big HP and torque numbers in a very light weight and small motorcycle. But that's exactly WHY I bought it. I find I can ride around quite happily and well behaved when I keep the revs between 4 and 6K. It is actually a very docile engine in that range, but I am barely turning the throttle.

The buzz is a high output in-line 4. I never really notice it unless I do long freeway steady rpm cruise. My heavier bar-ends made it better. My old Yamaha 600 I sold not long ago did exactly the same thing.

If you want what the Brutale offers you will not be disappointed. If you want smooth vanilla you should look elsewhere.

Just my opinion.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 09:47 PM

Hillbilly...a lot depends on what you're going to use the Brutale for. If you're looking for a touring bike, I wouldn't recommend it. BTW I own an '08 910S and have put about 400 miles on it. I poured some small lead balls (from the dive shop) into the handlebars and it made the buzziness very tolerable IMO.
Regarding the FI issues....again IMO the more I ride it the more I'm adapting to the situation. No, the FI is not as smooth and progressive as my ZX14 but I guess that's a challenge of meeting the very strict emission regs. today. The dealer that I bought my bike from (Pat Clark Motorsports, Las Vegas, NV) tells me that they are sending an '08 910R over to Dynojet very soon to be used as their test mule for a Powercommander application. And I am changing the rear sprocket from the stock 43 tooth to a 40 tooth next week which should help smooth out the throttle abruptness, once again IMO.
The Brutale is a lot of fun to ride and not just the handling and excellent acceleration but the sound....even from the stock exhaust is a NO EARPLUGS allowed kind of bike!
Hope this helps!
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

I think my observations may have been misinterpreted. Let me explain again.

What I experienced on my demo ride was NOT confidence inspiring, despite me being comfortable with high performance sport bikes.

The impression I had was that the fueling was a serious issue, and was not predictable. In that case, 136hP is nothing to treat lightly, and I felt I could not confidently ride to any limit.

I have seen on this forum concerns which parallel my experience, but I wanted to know if this is a symptom with the 910 specifically? It seems that the F4 lineup and 750s do not exhibit this behaviour.

Thoughts?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 10:52 PM

regarding the fueling- as has been said before- the bike is sensitive to being set-up correctly- co%, tps, and throttle body sync. With these set up well I find the bike quite rideable, even commuting in town. I believe that most people with issues have noted significant improvement in rideablity after having the bike properly tuned. And perhaps I'm lucky, or simply insensitive, but I've not had the the buzzing handlebar issue that others have. There is some vibration, but my hands have never fallen asleep, and I wouldn't have known it's a problem if I hadn't read about it here.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrossk
regarding the fueling- as has been said before- the bike is sensitive to being set-up correctly- co%, tps, and throttle body sync. With these set up well I find the bike quite rideable, even commuting in town. I believe that most people with issues have noted significant improvement in rideablity after having the bike properly tuned. And perhaps I'm lucky, or simply insensitive, but I've not had the the buzzing handlebar issue that others have. There is some vibration, but my hands have never fallen asleep, and I wouldn't have known it's a problem if I hadn't read about it here.
I agree. Buzzy handlebars weren't any issue for me either. It was the throttle I was more concerned with. Thx.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Established Member

From reading this forum, it seems to be either a set-up issue or an R vs S issue. It seems more people with Rs have fueling probs than those with S. Check out this thread for what may be the fix for the Rs: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12322

The only 910 I've ridden is my S and it doesn't have any fueling issues or surging. It is sensitive to throttle control and it responds immediately but that's the way I like it. With its light flywheel it spins up and down very quickly, but that's the nature of the bike. I've ridden an '06 FZ1... that's a bike with fueling issues... by far, the worst throttle response of any bike I've ridden.

As someone else said, it isn't an easy going touring bike... its a naked SPORT bike and it rides and responds like one.

RE: the vibrating bars. this isn't an issue with mine either. they vibrated a little when new. But now that the bike has 1000 miles, the bars don't vibrate at all.

You could make the purchase of the bike contingent upon a demo ride to determine whether the bike you're getting has fueling issues.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 10:03 AM

HB, I haven't noticed the throttle issues you've mentioned, though others seem to have. It does have a heavy throttle return action, but the fix for that is to unclip one of the springs...much too easy! That should make rolling on the throttle easier and more predictable. In any case, there's much more to commend the MV over other naked class bikes. I'd say give it a good bit of thought...and make your decision!

'06 910S
'06 950 Adv
'04 ZX-10R
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 12:59 PM

Hi hillbillypolack, the Brutale aint a bike for the faint hearted! As already said it's a naked sport bike. It's definately not a bike for someone who's just passed their test either. If you've been riding a while your experience will soon learn you how these bikes react to certain inputs & any lack of confidence in the bike will soon be rectified.

Modern sport bikes seem to ride themselves these days, the Brutale is one of the few out there that still require a lot of rider input which is what the bike is all about.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 01:31 PM

hillbilly,ive just exchanged my 06 910R for the 07,and what a difference,ive had the 06 open headers and midpipe fitted,and they had to fit a new ECU,i know what you are saying about the 06 ride,but please try the 07 ,cant wait till its run in fully to wind it open but what i have had so far way out shines the previous one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode