910R & Buell Comparision - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

910R & Buell Comparision

Well i am sure that I have opened up a whole can of worms on this one. I have read thru alot of the posts here reading up on the bikes. It seems like everyone is very happy with the Brutale.

I have not owned street bikes and come from a motorcross background. I purchased a 06 Buell XB9SX (my first street bike)some months ago. I love the bike, lots of torque and what seems like power as well. It turns extremely well. I have done the race ECM and exhaust on it to try and extract everything I could. Out of all this.....it still leaves me hanging and wanting a little more.

I guess my main question is to those of you who have lots of experience riding different bikes over the years. What can I expect out of a 910 or 910R. I consider them like the Ferraris of the sport bike world. Cost is a factor but I realize that the 910's and R's are a whole different animal. If these are bikes that are loaded with performance and fun..then great I will slap the cash down right away to hold one until they arrive. I will not be able to test ride one so i have to make the right choice which makes it even harder. Thats why I need your comments

I also ride about 50 miles a day to work and back. Some of this is heavy Houston TX traffic.

Any thoughts, comments or insite would be great

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txfatcat
Well i am sure that I have opened up a whole can of worms on this one. I have read thru alot of the posts here reading up on the bikes. It seems like everyone is very happy with the Brutale.

I have not owned street bikes and come from a motorcross background. I purchased a 06 Buell XB9SX (my first street bike)some months ago. I love the bike, lots of torque and what seems like power as well. It turns extremely well. I have done the race ECM and exhaust on it to try and extract everything I could. Out of all this.....it still leaves me hanging and wanting a little more.

I guess my main question is to those of you who have lots of experience riding different bikes over the years. What can I expect out of a 910 or 910R. I consider them like the Ferraris of the sport bike world. Cost is a factor but I realize that the 910's and R's are a whole different animal. If these are bikes that are loaded with performance and fun..then great I will slap the cash down right away to hold one until they arrive. I will not be able to test ride one so i have to make the right choice which makes it even harder. Thats why I need your comments

I also ride about 50 miles a day to work and back. Some of this is heavy Houston TX traffic.

Any thoughts, comments or insite would be great

Chris
There is no way I would plop down this much dough for a bike without test riding it. I made that mistake with the Ducati monster and I ended up hating my decision and taking a 2k hit trading for the Brutale. Why can't you test one? The 910R I can understand. But you should be able to test ride the 910. If most of your commute is in heavy, stop and go traffic, the Brutale will not be happy. This bike needs twisty, empty backroads to be be happy. It needs to be opened up. This is just my opinion, of course. I am sure you will get many other opinions here.

Good luck with your decision.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Well maybe i should re state that. I drive to work every day but i usually drive between 70-90mph on the HOV lane i dont ever sit in stop and go traffic for too long. On the nights and weekends, I am out in the country on the twisties for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 01:22 AM
MV Cellist

Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
Doesn't your local MV dealer allow test rides? I have test ridden the Brutale 2x and the F4 once here in L.A.
IMHO, you should go and find a 910 for test ride, just remember unlike your Buell, the 910 is a 4 not a twin, it wants to be revved. just want to warn you, it is addictive...

O D O N A T A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:08 AM
Hi Txfatcat

I had a couple of Buell's, first the XB9R then the XB12R. I really liked them, despite everybody telling me the Harley lump would vibrate itself to bits and piss oil everywhere, they never did. They handled well and were light and good looking IMO. The clutch was heavy and the engine did run out of revs too soon. My overall conclusion was great bike for twisties but could do with another 15 - 20 mph on the top end to enable it to live with Japanese 600's.

As Odonata says, the transition from V twin to in-line four is the biggest thing you will have to overcome. The Brutale will be far revvier than your Buell but for a 50 mile commute I think it would be OK. I don't know if you can get the 750 Brutale anymore, but they would probably be more than adequate for what you have in mind. This may sound sacreligious on a MV site, but have you tried the XB12S?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

Yes I have. one of my friends had a 12 and its great. My nine will keep head to head but he runs away from me when we hit about 90-100. This is the same for my friend with the R6....i can keep up with him until the top end and he pulls away.

One of the other things is last weekend I purchased a new FZ6 for my wife. On the way home I was very impressed how smooth it was. I think that was one of the turning points for me. It does want to be revved also but have to wait for the 600 mile breakin point
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 08:50 AM

Talking

I sold my XB9s right after i test rode the brutale ,the buells handle well but are a bit agricultural.The brute is the best bike I've ever had ,in my eyes its the whole package.Get yourself a brute ,you wont be sorry,go on get one
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 10:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
As far as test riding, coming from a Buell, you definitly wouldn't need the test ride. I could see maybe coming from a Monster, as they're of similar structure, but I came from a Superhawk, basically, Hondas version of the XB.

Coming from a twin, you do miss the TQ, but you also don't miss not being able to rev the hell outta the motor. Thing is, you'll be so used to hearing the low RPM cruising/sound of a twin, that when you ride around on the Brutale, riding around at 5K RPM sounds like you're near redline and the engine is screaming for you to upshift

The Brutale is definitly going to be alot more fun than the Buell. It'll have more grunt overall, and will be TONS smoother. Not only power wise, but the bike itself. It's the reason that FZ6 felt so smooth. Twins just ride rough, especially a Buell. Everything feels smooth coming off one of them(twins), and when you hop onto the Brutale, it even exponentially gives that impression...

I'll tell you one thing though, had I had the opportunity to ride the Brutale before I plopped down cash, it would have only solidified my decision more than it already was. I mean, hell, I drove 5-6 hours to buy a bike I didn't test ride...my mind was already made up. And I only bought a 750......

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 12:44 PM

I ride my friend's modified Buell once in a while and while I really like it, it handles great in the twisties, and has tons of torque, but I don't like the roughness of the 1200 v-twin and it just isn't as fast acceleration wise as the Brutale.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2006, 04:11 PM

Brute!

No question--I rode the XB12S and 9SX extensively and then one 20min ride on an MV and WOW, thr Brutale is head and shoulders above the Buell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode