The Ride Home... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

The Ride Home...

It didn't take long to make up my mind about buying a Brutale versus a Speed Triple, SuperDuke, SuperMoto, Tuono or a Monster. The Brutale just, well, it kind of left the others looking like cheap leftovers, looks-wise. Maybe it's just me. I weighed the pluses and minuses after spending a lot of time reading the excellent posts here, and made the decision. Anyway, I bought it from National PowerSports (great guys!) in Pembroke, NH, flew up there from Nashville, TN and rode it back last week. Here are my first 1200 miles of riding impressions (the trip back!):

1. The seat is not as bad as all that. I could sit in the pan for a couple hours, then on the back seat and stretch my legs out, or just dangle my legs for a few miles, then back in the saddle. Maybe the aspirin helped! Total 20 hours in two days.

2. If you have a good helmet, the wind blast is barely noticeable. I've always thought the turbulent-free air above a windscreen was better than getting socked in the head by air flowing over the top of one right into your helmet. I was right...very much like long-term dual-sport riding, if that's your background.

3. Letting off the throttle is a little like putting on the brakes at the same time...a high compression engine! Well, we can get used to that.

4. First gear seems low. I tried a few quick takeoffs to see if I could get the front wheel up, and it mostly wanted to spin the rear tire. After getting home, I saw the tire was pumped to 40psi...yikes! Not so bad. I did manage a couple of mini-wheelies anyway.

5. Stalled once going about 10 mph.

6. Rode in the rain for 8 HOURS!! Not so fun!! Got some condensation in the headlight...

7. Power is not quite as strong as my previous GSXR1000, but better than a 750 I'm sure. The wide handlebars make turn-ins effortless. It doesn't take any pressure either to hold a line going through curves. Bike feels smaller than other sport bikes, but good power.

8. Couldn't hurt to add a couple teeth to the rear or a tooth to the front sprockets. 80mph was 6K on the tach...not buzzy, at least not to me.

9. Very responsive throttle. Could that be because of the lack of a counterbalancer? Probably!

10. Great sound from the stock exhaust! Man, IMHO, this baby can get along without aftermarket exhausts, either for sound or looks. It seemed like somewhere between a hot-rodded V8 or even an Italian supercar. I don't own either, so...

11. I was asked at least three times "what kind of bike is that?". I liked this one..."Is it a Honda?" But each time they said "Nice looking bike!". That's more than I got on any of my other bikes within 5 hours of owning one!

At the store before the ride home...super clean! 1936 miles, so we got the break-in period out of the way. The bike looked new...my thanks to the previous owner!

How could you NOT fall in love with a bike that looks that good? The guys at the store told me they were trying to explain to their admin assistant why a motorcycle can be "sexy", and pulled out the Brutale to show her. Hey, I can see it!!

Here is where I stopped off for dinner before getting too far down the road.

Well, happy camper! Are you ready for an 8 hour ride in the rain? I don't think so!! It helped to have full rain gear, but my gloves, neck liner, and boots got so soaked, it let in water anyway. Do I look like I care?

'06 910S
'06 950 Adv
'04 ZX-10R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 10:47 AM
Established Member

Great post! Glad you like it. The spinning versus wheelie sounds like a tire issue... mine will stand straight up in a heartbeat in first... love it! We have a bit in common... I traded a gixxer 1K for the Brutale and my other street ride is a 950 Adv. The Brut compliments the 950 nicely.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
Congrats, nice choice of color combo too!

My fueling was quite a bit off in the low RPM range to begin with. I threw on a full exhaust and instead of adding in the new EPROM i just got a custom map which helped a lot. Throttle is very smooth and closing the throttle isn't quite like putting on the brakes anymore (unless you like that?). I released the throttle return spring very early on.

Congrats!! It's a great bike!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 06:24 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Congratulations on your beautiful bike. Everything you said....yes.
Attached Images

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 07:38 PM

Welcome, and thanks for the post. Excellent stuff. Man, after that ride you are forgiven if had to rant but all credit to you that you didn't.

Mini hijack: Make sure the passenger seat is properly pressed down (you'll hear and feel a healthy 'click')-- otherwise it likes to go walkabout.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 07:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
Great read and welcome. By the way have read of a post I just did titled "funny 312 article", you will appreciate it.
As for the stock sound, just get a cat bypass pipe some day, makes it deeper and more of that growl down low. I can't think of what else to do to them, except get your suspension set up for you and happy days!

MVA Sydney
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 03:49 PM

Wow there is a quite few members changin gixxer 1000's for brutale. I am coming off a gsxr 1000 in to a 2008 910R too...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 10:29 AM
Established Member

Send a message via AIM to curi0usmind
Nice write up. Glad you're enjoying the new bike.

Live to Ride
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 12:55 AM

U, my friend, have very good taste and u even got the right color combo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zixxer2Go
It didn't take long to make up my mind about buying a Brutale versus a Speed Triple, SuperDuke, SuperMoto, Tuono or a Monster. The Brutale just, well, it kind of left the others looking like cheap leftovers, looks-wise. Maybe it's just me. I weighed the pluses and minuses..........

Brutale910

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode