My Battery Only Lasts 3 days or so (MAX) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Red face My Battery Only Lasts 3 days or so (MAX)

ok, i've read through a bunch of posts about this so it's OBVIOUSLY a problem. my battery on my BRAND NEW 07 910r only lasts 2 or three days. & all the "put it on a battery tender" excuses in the world ain't gonna cut it.
i've got 2 other japanese bikes, have owned ducatis in the past & have had 4 different yamaha r1s. i've NEVER had battery problems.

is there an aftermarket battery for these things (that lasts)?
is there some sort of recall on the battery?

my mvagusta dlr is 3hrs away.
they told me the battery on these things is a joke.
but i was like, "hey, i ride alot, no problem"
wrong!

i drive the bike 2 or 3 times a week & have to jump start it at least once a week. i can go w/out getting on my current r1 for over a month & not have the slightest concern over starting.

i LOVE the 910r. don't wanna get rid of it. just want to get this fixed. i shouldn't need a battery tender b/c each of my bikes gets ridden for at least 100 miles each week. this bike is almost a daily driver for me.

ps. the shorty arrow thunder exhaust w/the bmc airfilter combo sounds mean. i LOVE it! it was relatively ez to install too.

2007 910r \ 2004 Yamaha R1 \ 2008 848 \ 2007 F4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 04:57 PM

You either have a bad battery or a short in your electrical system, causing a battery drain. If it's the latter, a new battery won't solve your issue. By any chance, you aren't turning the key all the way to the left when you park it, are you? That key position keeps the parking lamps active -- that will cause a quick drain on your battery.

Another possibility: is the bike charging the battery as it runs?

If you really ride the bike 2-3 times a week, no battery tender is required.

This type of problem should be obvious and easy to fix once diagnosed properly. I would make an appointment with your dealer and have it sorted out by them if you aren't handy with a multi-meter yourself.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 05:26 PM
Established Member

As one who questioned this same occurance, just remember this as I was told....There's a price to be paid for the privilege of riding such an exclusive motorcycle. I found my problem to be in the kickstand relay switch and not the battery. It had worked loose.

My Duc, Victory, and Triumph sit in the attached garage all winter and summer without a battery tender. I go out and start them once a month...no problems.

By all means take it back to your dealer. Let them deal with the issue, but be prepared to wait for any part you might need. As you've probably read on here, the supply chain side of Agusta and Cagiva NA is not one of Agusta's strong suits.

It's now been 9 or 10 weeks and I'm still waiting for a replacement fender for mine. But hey, the dealer says it's supposed to be here next week. Or any week after that.

The Brute really is a great bike. When it works. And it is a blast to ride.

It's a shame the company making it and the NA importer aren't capable of making it better.

'08 Brutale in Arrest Me Orange

1967 Suzuki X 6 Hustler

Ducati Monster 1000

White and Silver 2011 Victory Cross Country

1982 Kawasaki AR 80 with 51 actual miles

Orange 2011 Corvette

Last edited by GasCitySmitty; 10-25-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
You still haven't gotten that fender??? My replacement pillion seat ordered a week ago is in transit right now. It took 4 weeks to get the red alacantra rider's seat I ordered, but that was because Italy was on holiday for half that time.

Jessewallace, The Yuasa battery in your bike is not a bad battery brand, and is the same size, brand and type battery used on a great many current Japanese sport bikes. You have something definitely wrong....either true defective battery or charge system problem or high parasitic drain. My battery has no problems starting my '08 910R after sitting for a week in the garage, and I have the MV alarm fitted which increases the parasitic draw.

If you have an amp meter and a volt meter you can test these things. If you have a good relationship with any competent motorcycle technician they can check charge system and parasitic draw for you. The system is common to just about all modern motorcycles. There's no magic here.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me
You still haven't gotten that fender??? My replacement pillion seat ordered a week ago is in transit right now. It took 4 weeks to get the red alacantra rider's seat I ordered, but that was because Italy was on holiday for half that time.

Jessewallace, The Yuasa battery in your bike is not a bad battery brand, and is the same size, brand and type battery used on a great many current Japanese sport bikes. You have something definitely wrong....either true defective battery or charge system problem or high parasitic drain. My battery has no problems starting my '08 910R after sitting for a week in the garage, and I have the MV alarm fitted which increases the parasitic draw.

If you have an amp meter and a volt meter you can test these things. If you have a good relationship with any competent motorcycle technician they can check charge system and parasitic draw for you. The system is common to just about all modern motorcycles. There's no magic here.
+1.
It's only an alternator, regulator and battery. ANY auto sparkie should be able to diagnose the problem.

F4 1000R #67
YZFR6 #67
853R
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 06:21 PM
I was also told by my dealer that the Brutale has a higher than normal "parasitic draw" and that I shold also use a battery tender. My bike did not start the day after I picked it up. After leaving on a tender for one day, I have had no further problems even with a week between rides. The dealer said use a tender if you do not ride several times a week. While your Yamaha guy could probably trouble shoot this for less than the cost of a 6 hr round trip to the dealer, why not buy a tender which you probably need anyhow and use this until the 600 mile service? Remember, an 07 bike could be a year or more old at this point and the battery would be the same. In any case congratulations on your new ride.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
IMO i wouldn't settle for "the brutale just has higher than normal draw" or "it just comes with italian bikes". If some people don't have problems, and some do, should be something going on and something to fix. As much as I love MVs, i think they should be without problems... as any other bike.

Hopefully you can diagnose the issue
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Established Member

I'll bet it's the batt, had the same problem, ride all day, all ok, let bike sit for a couple of days and no startie.. But a 10 min. charge at 2 amps and i'm off and running.. Dealer swapped it out, so far so good.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 07:30 PM
"As much as I love MVs, i think they should be without problems... as any other bike.

Hopefully you can diagnose the issue"

Could not agree more. Actually the dealer needs to deal with the issue.

The point is that jessewallace lives in the hinterland. Actually in an area in which much of the agricultural land is owned by one of the most powerfull and politically connected families in the state. This is as per an article this week in the St. Petersburg Times. Remember Patricia Harris first of the ballot shads, then US congress, and finally a failed Senate Race. She is one of the grandchildren along with another cousin who is very powerful in the Florida state legislature. Appearantly the next plan is a tollway through this area to make this agricultural/motorcycle riding land into prime residential and commercial land.

In any case, I have lived in another hinterland much of my life. I fully understand his frustration as I once bought a less than perfect Fiat sportscar. The failed radio, seatback latches and other problems bothered me on this brand new car. It was a long trip to the dealer just as this case. My point was live with it until the first service which on a bike which goes as fast as a brutale and riden on wide open rodes should not take very long.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Established Member

I forgot, dealer said 08's come with a tender!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode