Need some help choosing! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Need some help choosing!

I'm looking to change my bike in the near future. It's a choice between a 1078RR or a 1090RR (up to 2012).
I'm in a bit of a quandary as to which is the best bike to buy.
I love the rawness of my 910s and know the 1078 will be even better.
Is the 1090rr a better bike because it's newer, or has it been "watered down" to make it more friendly? I want my bike to make me laugh out loud when I open the throttle!
I pretty much know the problems that affect the 1078 (same ones as my 910 I think). the only problem on the 1090rr that I know of is the mirror glass falling out. Is there anything else on either bike that I should look out for?
I haven't had a test ride on either bike yet as I want to be a bit more certain on which bike I like more! I'm not in a hurry to change, and will wait for the right bike to come along.
My big question is; What do you all think? I know I've got to make the choice, but your advice will be much appreciated.
Thanks guys,

Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 02:23 PM

Dave there are a couple of threads on this which should shed some light on what you're asking.
Check these out...,
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=118098
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...8+1090+Brutale

I've a Brutale 1078rr and I'm always gonna say it is 'the Daddy'...., but both bikes are great and you'll not be disappointed with either.

The 1090 is a little more refined and 'rider friendly'
The 1078 is totally 'viceral' and as mad as a 'box of frogs'

Read both threads Dave jus so you've done yer research......, then GET the 1078rr!!
Brian
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 02:40 PM

I have a 1090RR and have owned a couple of 07 F4s. I don't see any difference in build quality between the older F4s and the 1090RR. It has a plastic tank vs a steel tank. Don't know if the 1078 has a steel tank but no problems with the plastic so far. It's a blast to ride and goes like stink. As with most MVs the fueling can be touchy but can be sorted out with a new ECU or Power Commander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-05-2014, 11:38 PM

1078rr has a plastic tank,both are great bikes,but nobody will be taking my 1078rr of me,just has this rawness to it like its going to bite you ,just a crazy ride.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddypro View Post
1078rr has a plastic tank,both are great bikes,but nobody will be taking my 1078rr of me,just has this rawness to it like its going to bite you ,just a crazy ride.
Yep!!
And yes Eddy is right Brutale 1078rr has a plastic tank.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 03:52 AM

If you want to commute on it buy the 1090, if it's a weekend beast and you want a 910 that goes faster get the 1078.

Put it another way, I can ride my 1090RR all day and still do it again the next day. My 910R is definitely a once a month ride now but I still love it when I do. The 1090 has done >16000km since April, the 910 about 2000 and most of those were because the radiator on the 1090 sprung a leak. I HATE riding the 910 to work, but I doubt I'll ever sell it.

Both will leave you with a shiteating grin on the right road.

Last edited by rsawkins; 11-06-2014 at 03:55 AM.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsawkins View Post
If you want to commute on it buy the 1090, if it's a weekend beast and you want a 910 that goes faster get the 1078.

Put it another way, I can ride my 1090RR all day and still do it again the next day. My 910R is definitely a once a month ride now but I still love it when I do. The 1090 has done >16000km since April, the 910 about 2000 and most of those were because the radiator on the 1090 sprung a leak. I HATE riding the 910 to work, but I doubt I'll ever sell it.

Both will leave you with a shiteating grin on the right road.
The suspension on the newer bike is more refined. Even though the rear shock looks the same the 1090 definitely has a smoother feel. If I had a 910 that would be one of the first things I would change
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm seeming to be guided in the direction of a 1078RR. The bike is not going to be used as a commuter ( I'd never get all my tools on the back of a bike!! I have my own works van.), it's just for weekends and holidays.
The only problem is that there is only one 1078 for sale in the Netherlands and it has too many Kilometres on the clock.
There is a good example for sale in Germany, so I have got to look into the means and costs of importing the bike, as here in the Netherlands we have to pay an extra luxury tax (BPM), on top of the usual taxes!
I wonder if any of the Dutch lads here on the forum have experience of importing a bike?
The 1090RR isn't out of the running yet, but like Brian said, the 1078RR is the Daddy!!

Dave.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number2 View Post
The suspension on the newer bike is more refined. Even though the rear shock looks the same the 1090 definitely has a smoother feel. If I had a 910 that would be one of the first things I would change
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjock View Post
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm seeming to be guided in the direction of a 1078RR. The bike is not going to be used as a commuter ( I'd never get all my tools on the back of a bike!! I have my own works van.), it's just for weekends and holidays.
The only problem is that there is only one 1078 for sale in the Netherlands and it has too many Kilometres on the clock.
There is a good example for sale in Germany, so I have got to look into the means and costs of importing the bike, as here in the Netherlands we have to pay an extra luxury tax (BPM), on top of the usual taxes!
I wonder if any of the Dutch lads here on the forum have experience of importing a bike?
The 1090RR isn't out of the running yet, but like Brian said, the 1078RR is the Daddy!!

Dave.
Dave I done a lot of mods to my 1078rr and one of them was a new rear shock...., it transformed the ride.

If? You get one I really recommend a 'Nitron' shock...,

Here is my thread on it.,
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44880

What!!! Reading about mods before you've even decided on the bike????
Yeah!! bring it on!
Brian.

Oh and don't discount the 1090.... It's the 'step Daddy'!
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 11-06-2014, 02:23 PM
CTD

the standard settings for the high speed compression on the rear shock of a 1078rr are zero clicks out, that's nuts as the are 32 clicks on the shock. my kidneys felt like they'd been kicked all around the park when I first got my 1078rr, I had the shock set up and the guy set it to 14 clicks out and that transformed the bike straight away. Now after a few hours work the bike rides like a dream

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode