crashed and I'm not sure how!! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

crashed and I'm not sure how!!

I can't believe that it happened. I was out Sunday night about 6 blocks from my house stopped at a light. Light changed and I proceed to make a left hand turn. I get half way throught the intersection and I'm on the ground!
I wasn't screwing around or being aggressive. The only thing I can think of is that because it was cold out, about 50 F, and I was only a few blocks from home (on cold tires) I lost traction, maybe gave it too much gas? But again, I was in town, not being a squid... I have to blame it on the SuperCorsa Pros's that are on there. I've been riding Sport bikes for for 20 years, although admittedly on more sport touring tires like Michelin Pilot Roads for the last number of years. There are sideways scuff marks on the tires, but I can't believe they'd be that sensitve to temperature. They are a street tire after all, no?
Most of the damage is cosmetic- mirror, turn signal, clutch lever, gearshift peg, scuffed radiator hose. But I also broke the crankcase cover and am pouring oil- so the bike is unrideable. There is also very slight bend in the frame, right where a frame slider would go. ( I know, I know- I was going to get some sooner or later), but it's not frame damage- just cosmetic. And at least the tank, bars, and the other major components are ok.(BTW I'm fine, I was probably going no more than 10 or 15 mph)
But the bike is only a month old! I put on a thousand or so miles on it, riding it aggresively, but safely, up till now- and now I have the most beautiful paperweight town!
It can be, and will be fixed, and I know that the important thing is that it could have been worse (it always could have been worse ), but man, am I bummed. Especially because it was so benign- not as if I binned it riding like an idiot, or something hit me... Now I have to sit out the last bit of beautiful fall weather waiting for parts. UGH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 01:44 PM

Too much input or turn-in on the handle bars?
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 01:54 PM

Diesel fuel? coolant spill?
Did it cut-out and dump you?

sucks though - glad you are allright, those Santa Fe drivers will run right over you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

"Too much input or turn-in on the handle bars?" Perhaps that had something to do with it. The bikes I've ridden the past 15 years have all had clip-ons, so the extra leverage of the bars?... I can't say 100% ,"No," but I wasn't riding hard enough to just push it over. And the scuff marks on the tires shows some sideways slipping too

"Diesel fuel? coolant spill?
Did it cut-out and dump you?"
As far as I could see the road was clean. ANd the engine was still running with the bike in gear when it was on its side. I had to reach to the now-broken gearshift lever to get it in neutral...
thanks for the kind thoughts. I'm certainly aware there are people out there right now suffering Much more than I, but it doesn't change that I WANT MY BIKE BACK!
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 03:32 PM

Happened to me in 2001 witha Ducati. I was making a 3-4 mph turn into my parking area after it was dark. What I did not see was a thin film of sand from some landscaping work earlier that day (headlights were pointed out, and not illuminating the ground).

I wound up wearing the Ducati on my left ankle, breaking my collarbone and left thumb after it pinched between the bars and tank. The bike was okay save for needing new rearsets, but I needed to drive myself to OR to get X-rays of my shoulder. THAT was not a fun evening. Good to hear you walked away from your slip, but bummer about the scuffs.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 04:23 PM

Crashing sucks, especially when there is no good explaination for it. Glad you are ok!
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 04:51 PM

Man, I am having flashbacks.
This just happened on a 749R I just bought from Steve Cullen.
No explanation. Slow speed corner going nice and easy.
Next thing you know the back end slides out and it's all over. Bent swingarm, broken crankcase, etc.

I feel your pain, especially not being able to explain it.
On the bright side, you are ok, and that is the MAIN thing.
It could have been a lot worse if there were oncoming cars, etc.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 05:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
Happened to me on a 748SP , very similar. It was oil/diesel spilled on the road where cars and trucks stop at the lights. Same thing, first gear almost idling around and bang....gone.

MVA Sydney
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrossk
but I can't believe they'd be that sensitve to temperature. They are a street tire after all, no?
The Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pros are VERY sensitive to temperature, but not as sensitive as comparable Dunlops. These are not necessarily a "street tire" per se... they're DOT legal race tires and are designed for higher and extended heat cycles, thus making them pretty slippery when cold and hard to hold heat in every day street riding. They have enough tread to qualify as a street tire for racing purposes, and are not necessarily recommended for wet weather riding due to the shallow tread not providing efficient water evacuation, and the lack of tread on the edges.

So in my professional opinion, the tires were probably cold, and combined with the twitchy response of the brutale's throttle, is probably what contributed to the accident. No real rider error... just a "perfect storm", if you will.

Sorry to hear about the heartbreak, though, but glad you're ok!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 08:17 PM

Cold tires, cold road, possible slick shit on road surface are responsible for your incident.

Just this past weekend I put the tire warmers on the night before my early am departure. Turned on juice when I got up in am and they were at 80^ at departure.

I am going to do it till the end of the season as mornings are now cool here.

Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode