What to do..... FNG here from Atlanta - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

What to do..... FNG here from Atlanta

Well, here's my first post. Howdy all!

A few years ago, after offspring #2 came long I eventually had to pick a hobby (passion), as I had only so much time to be obsessed with something. I have been without a bike..... well motorcycle since, (cycling is my thing as well as my job, hence I stuck with those bikes). Well, it's time to get something with a motor underneath me, and I figured since I was done riding on the track on a regular basis, I wanted something I could ride every day while having more fun than a boxer on a squirrel farm. I really considered an F3/F4, but it seems they don't handle all that well given 3/4 of the people on here that have one can't shave the last 2"of chicken strips off each side. Though my supermotos were my all time favorite bikes to play on, heading up to the mountains, riding, then heading back, just left a lot to be desired on those things. I had come to the conclusion that I was going to get another Monster, (had a 900Sie back inthe day), and the 1100 Evo seemed to be calling my name. So, I FOUND one, got things lined up to buy it, and because I had an off day to kill prior to doing the deal, I took the opportunity to assure myself I was making the right decision by browsing some other options. Well, I saw a huge Monster fan/aficionado with a beautiful 1100EVO take a dive for a Brutale 800 and not look back. (damn you google), so I had to at the very least take everything into consideration just so I would sleep better. A dealer had a 2010 1090RR on the lot with a whopping 1700 miles on it, so I thought I should check it out. *I knew I was getting the Monster, so this was just for kicks.

The dealer (BMW-Ducati in Charlotte, NC), was a pleasure to deal with, and the looks of the 1090RR reminded me of my first .... well, it was hot! AlasI thought it was an over powered inline that wouldn't be near as fun as that torquey twin I longed after.

Sales guy: "If you have your gear with you, we can take it out for a spin"....... *[email protected]#k*.

Well, my impression, as well as my actual reaction was TAKE MY MONEY! Between the power, refinement, and just plain giggle factor, this bike set a new standard. And the deal was too good to pass up. Because the bike suffered from an ill-fated lost mirror lens, instead of replacing the useless stock mirror, they are sending me a sheek set of Rizoma Circuit 744's to toss on the beast. There are also some minor defects with the tank's paint, (reaction to the gas here apparently), so they're also throwing in a brand new tank under an expired warranty. They did the most thorough check over I've ever seen on an (un)used bike, and not once did I not have that warm fuzzy feeling. (I sold motorcycles back in the day, and used to consult for retailers, so I know a think or two when I'm being taking cared of).

So I have the bike, I've already decided to throw on some Rizoma low profile/wider/less swept bars, (I'm so not the Rizoma type, HAHA!), grippier foot pegs, some sort of tail tidy, and possibly an Arrow header/mid-pipe to eliminate the cat plus a proper tuning to sort it all out.

Some questions:

1) Is the suspension worth having done, or should I just ask Santa for some Ohlins goodies one day? I know Max over at Traxxion and may hit him up soon.

2) Does that stock steering damper actually accomplish anything?

3) Good tuner in the Atlanta area? (MSP Cycles was recommended).

4) Any quirks or things I should watch out for or nip in the bud?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 01:20 AM

New Site Garage
Treybiker,

Welcome. Cycling is also a passion although never my job. Came to it too late to try making it a career and it's one of those things that 'if we could go back.....!'

Anyway my first passion has always been motorcycling. Can't answer all your questions but suspension is always worth upgrading, beit motorcycle or mountain bike. But having said that unless you're riding track days regularly the stock suspension is more than adequate. I'm a pretty average rider but have 40 odd years experience and the bike suspension is better than I can ride it. Read the many posts on the subject. Don't have a steering damper and have ridden at ridiculous speeds on shitty roads. Never ridden through K.F.C. chips like Eddypro though!

Cheers

Deano
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 02:59 AM

Stock steering Damper is crap on the 1090rr,get a Gubellini ,My mate has one on his, the Matrix is the top dog ,but have no idea if they make one for the 1090rr, Suspension is pretty good actually ,we have adjusted his to the correct settings and his handles bloody good. Ohlins well what can i say ?.Now Deano i have not even gone into a KFC takeaway ever since i hit those bloody greasy chips. Great Bike and welcome.

cheers eddy

Last edited by Donsy; 11-03-2014 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Dampner !!! No Eddy ...just NO :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 03:09 AM

Oh ,and rip it up,Do not forget, chuck some Wheelies at about 140 km an hour the bike will do it with ease, Have fun ,now i know why my misses has increased my Death cover.LOL.

and also i have 2 other mates ,one rides a ducati diavel and the other a speed triple ,wonder why they are going down to Moto Arena to check out the Mv brutale 1090rr?.

Cheers again
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 04:42 AM

I don't know what do You want to say here buddy.
Insulting the forum members in Your first post is one thing.
Being a novice and seaching for a new hobby You buy a 1090RR, boah ey!
Next thing You ask for a steering damper, Öhlins suspension etc.
How many miles did You road with the 1090RR yet?
Did You file Your chicken strips away on public roads yet?
Might You do a track day first and see what this bike is capable of.
And read the fucking manual.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 04:58 AM

I am sitting this one out,Bye
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 07:23 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Welcome to the family Treybiker......the Brutale is a great bike. Suspension is fine, just get the Traxxion guys to set it up for you.
I have the 910R and have not seen a need for a steering damper. Wide upright handlebars and excellent suspension generally make head shake a non issue...oh, and you'll see no 2 inch chicken strips on my tires.

I know MSP has a good rep, and Micaheal (the Service Manager at Charlotte) used to be a member of the Ferraci MV Ama Superbike Team....he knows his stuff and also knows how to take care off his customers.

Enjoy your new ride.......stop in at Riders Hill-European Motorsports in Dahlonega and say Hi. Great folks and a good MV dealer. Ian knows his stuff, too.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haupti View Post
I don't know what do You want to say here buddy.
Insulting the forum members in Your first post is one thing.
Being a novice and seaching for a new hobby You buy a 1090RR, boah ey!
Next thing You ask for a steering damper, Öhlins suspension etc.
How many miles did You road with the 1090RR yet?
Did You file Your chicken strips away on public roads yet?
Might You do a track day first and see what this bike is capable of.
And read the fucking manual.
Okay, fair enough. I should have read my post from afar with a little more realization of how it may be read, especially for a newbie. I have been hovering around here a bit and saw an abundance of F guys and B guys tossing it about with each other and may have taken a shot too soon. Wasn't meant to be to be anything but a little fun.

Not sure why you assume I am a novice. I've ridden MC's since I was 6 and have been riding on the pavement for over 20 years with a decent helping of that on the track. I'm no expert by any means and don't plan to be.

I asked about the steering dampner as I see it being a regular mention around here. Not all bikes need them, but it sure is a nice thing to have just incase. Suspension wise, the front is way under sprung, and from what I can tell thus far, vague feeling. Though I have been impressed with the Marz stuff in the past, (it was pretty dialed for a stock setup on my Husky SM510), they make the forks according to what the manufacturer wants and is willing to pay for. Suspension is the first thing I consider doing to a bike as OEM forks are valved for a very general population with a wide range of riding styles. I might do a track day on it every so often, but this is a street bike for me to take up to the mountains for some safe spirited riding and regardless of riding style or purpose, a good suspension setup makes any bike more safe and predictable.

So that said, this looks like a pretty rad group with a TON of knowledge, (I was pretty surprised and impressed that 3/4 of the things I searched for sent me here), and look forward to hanging out here. Again, apologies to anyone or any F's I offended. Would love to justify one of those someday in addition to the Brute.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 07:49 AM
Established Member

Stock suspension works well road and track in my opinion, just set it up to suit you.

The steering damper doesn't provide much resistance even at its strongest setting. However, its more of a nice to have than needed on the bike.

I would make sure you keep the battery on a tender and look into upgrading the stock battery.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
I know MSP has a good rep, and Micaheal (the Service Manager at Charlotte) used to be a member of the Ferraci MV Ama Superbike Team....he knows his stuff and also knows how to take care off his customers.

Enjoy your new ride.......stop in at Riders Hill-European Motorsports in Dahlonega and say Hi. Great folks and a good MV dealer. Ian knows his stuff, too.
Michael was great to talk to, and I felt good buying a bike from them with him taking care of things in service. He's the one that referred me to Brian Iler at MSP.

I'll be sure to head up that way sometime. Looking forward to riding up that way again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode