2008 910S vs. 2008 910R - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

2008 910S vs. 2008 910R

All,
I just plunked down a deposit on the Orange and Black 2008 Brutale 910S and am now wondering if I should have bought the 910R instead. The 910R the dealer has is 2007 and they won't have any deliveries of the 2008 910R until after the new year. My question is what are your opinions on the differences between the two? This will be my first MV after many years of fence-sitting. The price difference was not really a concern, it was more abou aesthetic appearance. That Black & Orange combo grabbed my attention immediately and I had to have it. Apparently the 910R will not be available in the B&O color combo. What can you tell me in terms of advantages and benefits whether technical/engineering/performance that may sway me away from the S and onto the R? Your input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Lighter wheels, Brembo radial brakes, Upgraded suspension front and rear, a bit more power from intake port work, fancier seat leather........

Other than that, they are the same bikes. If you like the Orange (it is a nice color) and don't think you will benefit from better suspension and brakes (or can afford to buy them later), get the S.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 04:30 PM

as above, plus: new ecu with its lamda sensor in new bikes prohibits possible use of power commander (for now), and the one piece exhaust prohibits simply replacing mid pipe (better sound, less heat, maybe a horse or two). (I like the wheels on the S), but the brakes, especially, on the R are tempting. The R however, for '08, will come in that awesome white/black... ah, such choices
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 06:10 PM

If you get the 910s before you pick it up have them install ebc brake pads. The difference in braking is unreal. I don't think the brembos would stop any better. It may cost you 90 bucks but it worth its weight in gold. The orange is awsome!! The one thing I hated about my bike were the brakes. Its amazing what a good pad will do. All I do is touch the lever with 2 fingers now.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 06:33 PM

There is no denying the differnece in stopping power with the brembos on the R.

I have never ridden a 910S, but have ridden the F41000S, which felt like a Cadillac compared to my 910R. It was much softer sprung and the brakes were not nearly as sensitive, but the bike seemed a little easier to ride, more relaxed oddly enough. Although there was considerably more power available in that engine, it sure as hell didnt feel like it, the powerband is much smoother that the 910R.

I dont know if the 910S has the same sort of "I just got kicked in the face" power delivery as the 910R. It takes some getting used to, the bike doenst ride like anyother I-4 that I have ever sampled, more like a snappy, angry twin.

I realize im comparing apples to oranges here, but maybe it helps.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 08:06 PM

Had money down on an Orange and Black 08 910S. Love the color. Ended up buying a new 07 910R because to change the exhaust on the closed Euro3 system was painfully expensive.

The 07 910R came with the additional titanium race exhaust which I had the dealer install. It's great! Much lighter than stock and sounds strong. I don't think it comes with the 08 and is why the new version retails for less than the 07.

The exhaust system, along with the other upgrades, swung me to the 07R. I am happy I went that way although I still really, really like that orange!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2007, 08:48 PM

EBC HH (#FA249HH) brake pads on my "S", and I've never looked back and have no regrets!

I love my "S" even more with the EBC pads, and I always preferred the look of the "S" over the "R" (just my opinion)! Plus, the "R" doesn't come in argento/rosso!

CURRENT RIDE
'10 Ducati Streetfighter S

FORMER RIDES
'08 Ducati Hypermotard S
'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 S
'01 Ducati 996
'05 Ducati Monster S4R
'04 Yamaha R1
'01 Yamaha R1
'99 Ducati 748
'99 Yamaha R6
'92 Honda CBR600 F2
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa
Had money down on an Orange and Black 08 910S. Love the color. Ended up buying a new 07 910R because to change the exhaust on the closed Euro3 system was painfully expensive.

The 07 910R came with the additional titanium race exhaust which I had the dealer install. It's great! Much lighter than stock and sounds strong. I don't think it comes with the 08 and is why the new version retails for less than the 07.

The exhaust system, along with the other upgrades, swung me to the 07R. I am happy I went that way although I still really, really like that orange!

+1 That's the reason I looked for (and bought) an 06 910R. Race exhaust and EPROM readily available -- EZ upgrade for performance without the headaches of working around the Lambda sensors on the 08 models.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 12:28 AM

I went from the '06 910S to the '08 910R. I liken the difference to that of a college versus professional athlete - both exude approximate equal physical prowess, and it is the mentality and over-the-top attitude that separate the professional R from its college S counterpart.

While the 910S already had amazing acceleration, the 910R crunches that acceleration towards the low end - jerk, I believe they call it. The 910R also has the lighter wheels, leading to easier side-to-side handling. However, the 910R also runs 10-15 degrees Farenheit hotter.

On weekends, I watch and enjoy both college and professional football, and would play either one - in the same vein, I would be happy with either bike. (I really only went with the R because the '08 910S no longer had the black tank-red frame color scheme I found so enticing.)
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2007, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input

Guys,
Thanks for the input. It is exactly what I was hoping for in helping me make the decision.
I have decided to go ahead with the Black & Orange 910S. I plan on changing out the stock exhaust for an Arrow stubby, (along with the neccessary eprom), some minor aesthetic changes (mirrors,front signal indicators, etc.) and will most likely upgrade to the Brembo brake set up for front and rear. I think I'll ride with the existing stock suspension for a while before I determine whether or not to upgrade.
Your input has been extremely helpful and I thank you.
I look forward to being in this mix.
Thanks,
Joe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode