Difference between 2012, 2013 or 2014 1090RR - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2014, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Difference between 2012, 2013 or 2014 1090RR

Hi folks,

Is there any difference between the 2012, 2013 or 2014 models of the 1090RR? I'm planning on buying one in the next few weeks and it looks like I can buy a 'new' one of each year. Since I'm planning on doing a few mods and custom paint job, I'm not overly worried about the year of the model from a re-sale perspective but if there are any mechanical differences (i.e inclusion of a slipper clutch or not on early models, blue SPU vice black SPU etc) I'd like to know to make an informed decision.

Additionally, I'm considering getting a full titanium exhaust - http://www.evolutionbike.it/mvagusta...se/rdmt01.html

Has anyone had any experience with that particular model?

Also has anyone had any luck retuning the bike for improved low rpm torque? Is there a preferred ECU people are using?

Thanks for your time responding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 02:34 AM

Pretty sure they all have a slipper clutch, my 2012 does.
2012 is allegedly the last of the hand welded frames.
After 2012 abs was available as an option.

That exhaust comes with the race ecu which will remove the o2 sensor, the exhaust valve and the need for the emissions stuff on the cam cover. I'd probably start with that and see how you go before spending more money on tuning.

I have the race ecu + a PCV on mine, similar exhaust, I bought it all like that, the previous owner spend over 10K on custom parts etc !

Other ecu options, you might look at the Microtec, check with Chris at X-Bikes for compatibility etc.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigs View Post
Hi
I am new to the forum having just put down a deposit on a new 2013 1090rr. I'll pick it up in the next couple of weeks
I've ordered a full arrow exhaust system and I'm wondering which is the best option in relation to ecu to suit.
Considering I'll be riding on the road mostly I'd like to maintain (or better) low and mid range torque.
I'm in Sydney and was also wondering who the best servicing and tuning people are.
I don't mind working on my bikes myself but don't have the diagnostic skills for these new machines!!
Any advice greatly appreciated
Thanks
You might want to start a new thread.

"When the people fear their government there is tyranny,when the government fears the people there is liberty. My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government"--Thomas Jefferson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troz View Post
Hi folks,

Is there any difference between the 2012, 2013 or 2014 models of the 1090RR? I'm planning on buying one in the next few weeks and it looks like I can buy a 'new' one of each year. Since I'm planning on doing a few mods and custom paint job, I'm not overly worried about the year of the model from a re-sale perspective but if there are any mechanical differences (i.e inclusion of a slipper clutch or not on early models, blue SPU vice black SPU etc) I'd like to know to make an informed decision.

Additionally, I'm considering getting a full titanium exhaust - http://www.evolutionbike.it/mvagusta...se/rdmt01.html

Also has anyone had any luck retuning the bike for improved low rpm torque? Is there a preferred ECU people are using?

I think ABS became standard on the '13s - which means you can't use a Microtec. I don't think you'll find the RR to be lacking torque - I know thats the 'party line' but it's simply not an issue.

Check the forum using the search function - there's plenty on how happy RR owners are with the low end torque as well as what we've done to tune our ECU when we swap out the cat.

I don't think you can make a mistake between the 3 years - buy what you can afford and in the color you like and enjoy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 1090RR
2010 Multistrada
2006 Sport Classic 1000
2008 Husky 610TE
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troz View Post
Hi folks,

Just wondering if you have actually ridden a 1090rr in anger. Tuning for more low down torque? They aren't exactly anaemic in that area. I can understand trying to tune for better low down fuelling and off idle throttle response but trying to chase more low down torque from this engine, what do want to do tow a caravan? Even with a pillion they go like like stink. No inline 4 has the right to have the low down torque these things have.

Last edited by QldMV; 10-18-2014 at 06:26 PM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll be throwing a leg over one for the first time in about a week - simply going off reports and reviews of the differences between the 1090R and 1090RR. From the sounds of it there isn't anything to fix. Appreciate the feedback regarding the lack of differences between the years. I'll try and get a deposit down on one in the next week or so.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QldMV View Post
Just wondering if you have actually ridden a 1090rr in anger. Tuning for more low down torque? They aren't exactly anaemic in that area. I can understand trying to tune for better low down fuelling and off idle throttle response but trying to chase more low down torque from this engine, what do want to do tow a caravan? Even with a pillion they go like like stink. No inline 4 has the right to have the low down torque these things have.
Exactly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 1090RR
2010 Multistrada
2006 Sport Classic 1000
2008 Husky 610TE
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 01:03 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multipass View Post
Exactly.

Agreed
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 07:32 PM

12s RR
have TIG welded frame
Forged wheels
No ABS
Black Engines / black wheels

13s RR
Robot produced frame
Cast wheels (Corsa has forged wheels)
ABS available
LED strip lights on the sides of the bikini fairing
Different front fender design
Silver engine / silver wheels

Microtec will not work with ABS equipped bike
Leftover 12s can be bought quite reasonably.... I have one that I installed the MV Corsa shorty exhaust with accompanying racing chip from MV...
Forget the low torque comments... That is rubbish, these bikes are short wheel based and are monsters!

That being said.... My bike coughs a bit just enough to let you know that things could be better with the mapping (thus my interest in the Microtec ) but not sure that I need to spend $1500 to have it sorted.
I simply call it personality....
Attached Images

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 10:21 PM

ROBOTS made my bike!

2013 1090RR
2010 Multistrada
2006 Sport Classic 1000
2008 Husky 610TE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode