Finally rode a Brutale: Q's/issues - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Finally rode a Brutale: Q's/issues

Handlebar buzz (I searched): Apparently this is the characteristic difference between my Monster v-twin and I-4s...The Duc is actually very smooth unless wringing it's neck. Heavy handlebar ends AND maybe filling the bar with silicone/lead pellets are about it, then, eh? Has anybody looked into motor mounts? I fear the buzz would irritate me too much....

Seat: I felt I was continuouly scooting back to get off the tank (ouch!). Do any of the seat re-configure guys address this (who was the "good" one who does it for like $75?).

Engine: Takes off at 8,000 rpms--and though it FEELS slower down low than the Duc, latest magazine test by Sport Rider says it rolls-on faster than Monster/Tuono--but I drove a S--not R...Do the Arrow shorty and remap help the vibration/grunt factor? Still, I feel I would miss the V-twin firing pulse--even the Triumph STREET/Speed triple have a little more "character" in this regard. Yes, the Brute shrieks up top--an attention getting sound to be sure...But I am limited to hearing the factory exhaust and my Duke and the Triples had Arrows, so no fair. The STREET was also VERY smooth-vibration-wise.

Chassis: Now THAT's what I want a motrcycle to feel like!

LOOKS. Nothing is going to look better than the Brute...and silver looks better in person--very rich looking.

Ideally, I'd like to go back to Detroit with my Monster--ride the Brute, then go down the road to the Triumph dealer and ride the STREET.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Established Member

Monster vs. Brute vs. S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttraynor
Handlebar buzz (I searched): Apparently this is the characteristic difference between my Monster v-twin and I-4s...The Duc is actually very smooth unless wringing it's neck. Heavy handlebar ends AND maybe filling the bar with silicone/lead pellets are about it, then, eh? Has anybody looked into motor mounts? I fear the buzz would irritate me too much....

Seat: I felt I was continuouly scooting back to get off the tank (ouch!). Do any of the seat re-configure guys address this (who was the "good" one who does it for like $75?).

Engine: Takes off at 8,000 rpms--and though it FEELS slower down low than the Duc, latest magazine test by Sport Rider says it rolls-on faster than Monster/Tuono--but I drove a S--not R...Do the Arrow shorty and remap help the vibration/grunt factor? Still, I feel I would miss the V-twin firing pulse--even the Triumph STREET/Speed triple have a little more "character" in this regard. Yes, the Brute shrieks up top--an attention getting sound to be sure...But I am limited to hearing the factory exhaust and my Duke and the Triples had Arrows, so no fair. The STREET was also VERY smooth-vibration-wise.

Chassis: Now THAT's what I want a motrcycle to feel like!

LOOKS. Nothing is going to look better than the Brute...and silver looks better in person--very rich looking.

Ideally, I'd like to go back to Detroit with my Monster--ride the Brute, then go down the road to the Triumph dealer and ride the STREET.
Let me help if I can since I've owned the Duc, the S3, and now the Brute.

There is no substitute for the soul of a Ducati, nor the torque. Having just gotten rid of mine when I bought the Brute, I miss that more than anything...except for the sound which is much of the Duc's soul. But I liked the sound of the big triple on the Triumph with the "off road" pipe too.

The Triple is probably the most comfortable for riding long distances, the Brute for short, quick, twisties, and the Duc as a combination of both bikes, though again the Duc coming out of a corner sounds like nothing else.

If you've read some of the posts on here, several have had nagging little (or big) problems with the Brute, me being one of them. If you're close to a dealer, that's a better deal for buying the Brute. Me, I've got to go to Detroit or Chicago (both three hours each way) or back to Milwaukee to Corse where I bought this one (five hours if you don't get stuck in Chicago).

While I'll keep the Brute for awhile, there will be another Ducati in the garage with the next bonus check in March.

As for the Brute's seat, I'm about 5'9"...a bit over...and it fits me fine when riding it. The seating position is one of the things I like about the bike...I seem to wear it instead of sit on it.

To touch on the S3, it truely is a great bike, and Triumph has a much better dealer network than even Ducati and especially more so than Agusta. If I needed parts for the S3, my dealer had them or got them in a day...with the Brutale, I've been waiting over two months for a front fender.

Not trying to talk you out of the Brute because it is a fun bike with a huge WOW factor. But be aware that it's going to take longer to get parts, and from my experience Ducati and Triumph are much quicker, having parts in the pipeline. It's almost as if MV gets an order and has to make the part needed.

All three are great bikes, and if you're looking at a S3, I'd suggest you ride the new 675 Street.

'08 Brutale in Arrest Me Orange

1967 Suzuki X 6 Hustler

Ducati Monster 1000

White and Silver 2011 Victory Cross Country

1982 Kawasaki AR 80 with 51 actual miles

Orange 2011 Corvette
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 01:55 PM
I find that nothing can kill the throttle buzz on the Brutale for me except riding it hard. High and varied revs keep it at bay. Tooling along on the freeway is numbtime.

On the other hand, the rest of my body feels great on the Brutale, whereas on my Monster or KTM Duke II, the pulse vibes of the motor and exhaust numb my butt over time, like some kind of electric massage chair, even while my throttle hand stays fresh. So it's one kind of vibe for another...six of one half dozen of the other folks.

When I ride even the Duke, I love the grunt and torque and sound. Damn fun bike. Then I ride the MV, and its total refinement, sharpness, and insane power when you really twist it blow me away. You know, every bike has its fun points.

Personally, I feel the Monster though is ergonomically dated and most Monsters have pretty poor suspension. If you have an S4, though, that's a pretty insane motor and those models often came with premium suspension. So you're doing pretty well there if you're on an S4.

On any MV model, if you ever feel you're lacking torque or power, then ask yourself this one question. Have I twisted the throttle to the stop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasCitySmitty
Let me help if I can since I've owned the Duc, the S3, and now the Brute.

There is no substitute for the soul of a Ducati, nor the torque. Having just gotten rid of mine when I bought the Brute, I miss that more than anything...except for the sound which is much of the Duc's soul. But I liked the sound of the big triple on the Triumph with the "off road" pipe too.

The Triple is probably the most comfortable for riding long distances, the Brute for short, quick, twisties, and the Duc as a combination of both bikes, though again the Duc coming out of a corner sounds like nothing else.

If you've read some of the posts on here, several have had nagging little (or big) problems with the Brute, me being one of them. If you're close to a dealer, that's a better deal for buying the Brute. Me, I've got to go to Detroit or Chicago (both three hours each way) or back to Milwaukee to Corse where I bought this one (five hours if you don't get stuck in Chicago).

While I'll keep the Brute for awhile, there will be another Ducati in the garage with the next bonus check in March.

As for the Brute's seat, I'm about 5'9"...a bit over...and it fits me fine when riding it. The seating position is one of the things I like about the bike...I seem to wear it instead of sit on it.

To touch on the S3, it truely is a great bike, and Triumph has a much better dealer network than even Ducati and especially more so than Agusta. If I needed parts for the S3, my dealer had them or got them in a day...with the Brutale, I've been waiting over two months for a front fender.

Not trying to talk you out of the Brute because it is a fun bike with a huge WOW factor. But be aware that it's going to take longer to get parts, and from my experience Ducati and Triumph are much quicker, having parts in the pipeline. It's almost as if MV gets an order and has to make the part needed.

All three are great bikes, and if you're looking at a S3, I'd suggest you ride the new 675 Street.
Yes--The STREET IS the one I like--I rode both triples....Just something about it--and EVERY magazine is raving about the completeness and balance.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 07:11 PM

I can just say one thing.
After spending one year with my Brutale, i still walk in the garage and check up on her...
The MV grabs your soul like no other bike that i ever had.

"i put on a mask, for the masks that i meet"
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-27-2007, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskU2See
I can just say one thing.
After spending one year with my Brutale, i still walk in the garage and check up on her...
The MV grabs your soul like no other bike that i ever had.
For those commenting--have any had Ducatis and what kind? MY issue with the Monster--and I'm a bike rookie (less than a year) is: Ducati engine does the right things and makes a nice noises--But I am hearing those (and mine) with aftermarket pipes. The handling however....I don't feel one with the bike--the front feels loose, like it will wash out. Any current/past Monster owners here?

The Brutale handling was THE best of any bike I have ridden so far--by far--including Tuono and Super Duke. I am not done with the Brutale....Need to get my bike over there and test them back to back.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-28-2007, 08:08 AM

[QUOTE=ttraynor]For those commenting--have any had Ducatis and what kind?

I had 748, and currently own a 999.

"i put on a mask, for the masks that i meet"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 07:02 PM

ttraynor, I own a Brutale 750. I have a good friend who recently purchased a Monster S2R 1000. We have swapped bikes occasionally on rides, and I can tell you from the bottom of my heart that the Duke is a great bike, even with no mods done...heaps of torque, sounds awesome, quite comfy if you don't mind that position. Comments from the Duke owner after riding the Brutale...sticks to the road like it's on rails, awesome acceleration, more balls than a British bulldog, and "if I owned that thing, I'd lose my license". Now, while they are both nakeds, they are completely different animals. Like you said, there's the L-twin versus I-four, seating position, what type of rising you're doing, parts availability - too many factors to list that you need to take into account. I mean, I'm 6"2 and the Duke frame suits me better, but I wouldn't swap the 'gusty in a lifetime because of handling, the sheer balls of the 750 F4, and the fact that every time I stop at a set of traffic lights, everyone is looking...and wondering, "What the hell is that???"

My advice? Ride them both. Ride EVERYTHING. Listen to guys like GasCitySmitty and take the advice of everyone EXCEPT the guy selling you the bike. Above all, listen to what your instincts are saying. I did. And I'm one happy chappie.

Shiny side up mate.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
As for vibration...for me the only time the buzz in the bars is an issue at all is on long freeway slogs. Even with the bar end weights (which helped) my right thumb starts going numb after 10 miles or so (interestingly, my left hand has never been bothered at all - something to do with old broken bones in my right wrist). But the minute I hit the twisties and start working the bike the numbness is gone and I don't notice any objectionable vibration any more.
The rest of the my body never seems to notice any vibes at any time. I actually have decided the seat is not too bad, although I also slide forward over time (got to talk to Spencer about that rework). Definitely more comfortable then my old Yamaha FZR400 ironing board was.
I installed Arrow slip-on mufflers (and took out the removable baffles). Now I have a growl at lower rpms that is down right angry sounding, and the sound at any speed over 5000 rpm on the gas is exhilerating to say the least. I can't really talk about sound at 10,000 rpm as I am concentrating on staying ahead of the warp speeds I'm experiencing at that moment.
Haven't owned, but have ridden Ducatis and other twins....I like the way my Brutale sounds as much or more then anything I can remember sitting on.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Established Member

I am assuming you only had a test ride (or at least limited time) on a Brutale. Once you own one and get completely used to the bike, I think you would look back and see that there really never was any question.

I have had numerous bikes through the years, but nothing will give you the feeling that the Brutale does. Period.

Tim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode