ride impressions - Brutale and BMW's S1000R - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

ride impressions - Brutale and BMW's S1000R

Disclaimer - this is not intended as a definitive road test or evaluation on my part - just some thoughts on how two great bikes compare in terms of riding impressions.

Having sorted my ECU issues to accomodate displacing the cat with an Arrow manifold pipe I set out on a 200+ ride on some of my favorite Colorado mountain roads with a buddy on his BMW. As stated in a separate post - but validated by this much longer ride - the Rexxer reflash did the job - the bike rides great across all RPM ranges.

The funny backstory on this is that my buddy had originally ordered my Brutale for himself but ended up not liking the ergos and so the bike sat for a few months over the Winter until I bought it. I was actually very close to buying an S1000R when just for the hell of it I decided to do a test ride on the Brutale. I bought it that same day. My buddy was still in search of a naked to keep his Streetfighter company :-) and decided to buy the S1000R. So here we are a few months later riding each others bikes which were originally supposed to be our own bikes. Makes your head spin.

It's rare when two friends swap bikes and aren't itching to get their own bike back. It's just fascinating to see how two very different companies addressed the same product category and both got it right but with very different results. The bottom line - and this will not surprise most of you - it's simply the difference between German and Italian sensibilities. The BMW is extremely refined to the point where some might say it's indifferent - while the Brutale is ultra sensitive and expressive to rider input.

I didn't think either held an edge in terms of speed - although we both thought the Brutale had a bit more grunt out of corners (could be gearing). Handling was on par - although the throttle by wire input of the BMW makes it seem a bit more composed in corners - giving it a tiny edge. They both turn in fast and transition smoothly. Ride quality goes to the Brutale - despite all of the adaptive suspension technology packed into the BMW it can be harsh especially over high speed bumps. The one area the BMW has a big advantage is in the gauges - much more useful info and the trip set does not involve any of the nonsense required on the Brutale.

Ergos are very different - the BMW feels much longer and stretched out while the Brutale feels smaller and 'tighter'. I'm very comfortable on the Brutale at 5'8" and 135 pounds but I think a bigger rider - especially over longer distances - would prefer the BMW. Both bikes are surprisingly comfortable even over long distances given their best in class performance.

More subjective stuff like aesthetics - no contest of course, exhaust note also goes to the Brutale but the BMW does make some nice noise at higher rpms with it's stock exhaust. Going back to looks for a minute - my buddy added a bunch of really nice CF and while it's still no Brutale it did make a really big difference and takes the bike from bland to pretty attractive.

So, that's it - of course you could factor price in - the BMW is a lot less money and comes with heated grips, cruise control and a few other accouterments - so it's probably a better value.

Don't know where the new Monster would fit in (we're both big Ducati loyalists) but I couldn't get past the looks (Diavel humping a Streetfighter) and I could never ever get past the looks of the KTM regardless of it's 90 pounds of torque.

Test ride the BMW if you get a chance - it's the Brutale's German cousin!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 1090RR
2010 Multistrada
2006 Sport Classic 1000
2008 Husky 610TE

Last edited by Multipass; 08-26-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 03:15 PM

then there is that ugly ass headlight on the BMW
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by number2 View Post
then there is that ugly ass headlight on the BMW
Agreed - and it actually worse in person - and the tiny screen barely covers up the dash 'guts'. It's almost as though this was an afterthought and they were rushing to get it to production. That said, I'm not a huge fan of the Brutale's fried egg headlight either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 1090RR
2010 Multistrada
2006 Sport Classic 1000
2008 Husky 610TE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Some pics
Attached Images

2013 1090RR
2010 Multistrada
2006 Sport Classic 1000
2008 Husky 610TE
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Bmw S1000r
Attached Images

2013 1090RR
2010 Multistrada
2006 Sport Classic 1000
2008 Husky 610TE
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

2013 Brutale 1090RR
Attached Images

2013 1090RR
2010 Multistrada
2006 Sport Classic 1000
2008 Husky 610TE
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to punisher203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multipass View Post
2013 Brutale 1090RR
nice bike and nice color ^^

01 MV AGUST F4S 750 RED/ SILVER (TRADE IN) (no more)
07 MV AGUST F4 1000 BK/WHT (No more)
2010 MV AUGUSTA F4 stolen 5/7/2013
new 2013 Brutale 1090RR Wht/Gold
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher203 View Post
nice bike and nice color ^^
Agreed! I was told they only sold 3 in this color in the U.S. Seems hard to imagine but if it's true we should try and find who has the other one.

I know Cherche in Germany has the same year/color.

2013 1090RR
2010 Multistrada
2006 Sport Classic 1000
2008 Husky 610TE
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 05:29 AM

New Site Garage
Thanks for that mate,

That comparison puts most magazine tests/comparisons to shame. Good review and useful for those thinking of buying either of these. Brutale loks te best though.

Cheers

Deano
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 05:48 AM

The headlight is perfect,only a mad Italian drinking vino would come up with that design.Love it

Last edited by eddypro; 08-27-2014 at 05:54 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode