Dyno and racing a Porsche Carrera 4S on the way home! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
Dyno and racing a Porsche Carrera 4S on the way home!

Went to go get the bike dyno'd today.

My TQ rating didn't show up on the print-out, but it was 49.6 ft/lbs TQ!!!!! there was 3 runs, but only printed out the best of the 3.

He didn't print out top speed, but the dyno accounts for wind resistance as well, and top speed was 153 MPH...not too bad.

Anyhow, although not disappointed, I'm not extatic either. But eh, eitherway I'm taking it as a grain of salt, as I do with every dyno run I've done. I dunno bout that 45% humidity...on wunderground and weather.com they both say humidity in the 80's.....dunno how much that affects the numbers though....

Now the good part! I saw a 911 4S on the way home. Had exhaust and the turbo wing...and when he downshifted to slow down...he was infact TURBO'D!!!!!

We both merged onto the empty 4 lane road and just gunned it once we rolled out of the merging turn. I was in 2nd at about 30MPH and nailed it. I didn't catch up to him until about 60MPH(I was a good 2 car lengths behind as I wasn't quite sure he would gun it), and from that point were fairly even until about 110 when I just started to walk away. That car definitly had some balls. We both let off at 135, where I was a good 2-3 cars ahead, when he turned into the turning lane, we gave eachother nods and went on our ways home...

Pretty good dyno day if I must say

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.

Last edited by oicdn; 04-19-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 06:22 AM

105.3 HP??

Hmmm, yep i was expecting more.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

It had me scratching my head as well. I didn't like thier dyno set-up too much either after I saw how it was run. The fans for the intake were down closer to the front fender...kinda gave me the impression that the motor wasn't getting enough volumes of air. Another possible factor? That said, I would have to agree with the guy that test rode it after the dyno, it feeling faster than 106HP. My 01 R6 had 100WHP and this bike feels quite a bit faster. My Superhawk had 103WHP and still, this bike also feels quite a bit faster. Definitly not as torquey, but peak for peak, it's a noticeable difference.

Yeah...I'm kinda skeptical of thier dyno...seeing as how there was only a 13% loss on the TQ (MV rates it at 57 ft/lbs at the motor), but there was 17% loss on HP(rated at 127 HP)???

Kinda funky, almost a 5% difference in the two figures. Meh....

On a side note, the tuner there told me with a PC3 and a custom map, they can get my A/F ratio perfectly stoich all the way through, riding the dotted line throughout the entire powerband. They said the cost for the PC3 and custom mapping/dyno time would be $420 OTD. Fair price? All my bikes were jetted, so I'm clueless on the amount of time it takes to do a custom map 1st hand. Also, what would my performance gains be considering the bike is running pretty stoich at the moment?

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.

Last edited by oicdn; 04-20-2006 at 08:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 09:03 AM

The last bone stock Brutale I had on the dyno put out 104 hp also. (49 tq)

I think that the stock exhaust is extremely restrictive up top. Even though the current 600's put out about the same hp, an overlay of the 2 show the 750MV clearly ahead on HP and TQ throughout the rev range except near redline.

On the other hand, I had an 750 F4 come in with full exhaust, chip and after custom mapping he put out almost 120 RWHP. The power is there, you just have to tap it.

Also, Stoich (Stoichiometric) is 14.7 to 1 This is not what you want your engine running at. Around 12.9-13.2 will make the best hp.

John T
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-20-2006, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Intresting you mention the fact about stoich...cause on the dyno here, the dotted line is at the 13 range, or, the middle line between the 12 and 14 on this graph that doesn't show up on the pic I posted.

Hmm...I do love the relatively speaking linear powerband(for an I4 atleast), and I do remember my powerband spiking at 8K rpm pretty harshly on my R6.

One little thing that caught my eye was it smoked VERY VERY lightly around 10K RPM and onwards....but the MV tech, and the other senior techs there didn't mention it. Infact, he forgot to turn on the fans (not the cooling/intake fans) and you could deifnitly notice more of a haze in the room, and he then noticed then turned them on as we were making fun of him passing out from exhaust gases :laughing"

Smoke may be a bit too strong a word as it wasn't anything where you'de be like "WTF IS HAPPENNING?" unless you're a nitpicky freak like I am, where more or less I was like "why'd that happen?"

So...the power is there...I just need to tap into it? Custom mapping should do what for me in terms of performance??? I have the midpipe, and I haven't cracked open the ECU to check if he got the "accompanied" mid-pipe chip or not. Judging by peoples experiance with the chip, without looking, I would have to say he didn't, cause I'm not getting all the wacky stuttering and hesitation like some people did after chip install. Could be wrong though....

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oicdn
Intresting you mention the fact about stoich...cause on the dyno here, the dotted line is at the 13 range
The dotted red line on the DynoJet software does not represent "stoich"
It in fact just shows the "ideal" a/f ratio that internal combustion engines prefer for best hp and drivability.

"stoich" (stoichiometric) is the best a/f ratio for the best combustion with the least bad emissions. No one told the engines today that they should run at 14.7/1. In fact, engines hate this a/f ratio. Power drops off, heat builds rapidly and drivability issued show up. For best power, most engines like the a/f ratio between 12.9 and 13.2.

Modern cars today, with very sophisticated fuel Injection systems can get away with running "stoich" at part throttle (where we run most of the time) but I assure you, when you put your foot to the floor, an "open" (pre programmed) map with a much richer mixture shows up to give you that rush of power!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2006, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

^^ Ahh...see, I always refered to that 12.9-13.2 range as stoich....had no idea it was actually in the 14 range.

Hmm...I think a PC3 is in line. I wanna see what the gains are gonna be.

Nate
Brutale S
Buy some clothes:

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode