Another Headlight Replacement Post - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Another Headlight Replacement Post

So I bought my brutale secondhand from a dealer in Chicago last summer, and my very first ride on it was captioned with the headlight glass falling off and shattering as I went through an intersection. I've been searching for a replacement since then, with no luck. I really don't want to pay $700+ and shipping to order the OEM part, but I feel like I'm running out of options. Since my registry is being updated, it's a 2004 750S

I'm lucky to be nearby Fast by Feracci, and they've been helping me look for the part, but haven't found one yet. (Still, thank you to them for replacing my slave cylinder and fixing a few other issues that were over my head last week).

I seriously need help, I'm torn between trying to find the glass, an aftermarket headlight that doesn't look ridiculous, or even melding my own cover from fiberglass, but I'm really not that artistic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:45 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Kind of in the proverbial tight spot. New parts are available, but pricey as you have found. Used are few and far between as most are snapped up by owners like you as soon as they appear on eBay or the like.

The earlier Brutales are notorious for the glue holding the glass on failing. Lot's of threads about that. Later models seem less failure prone.

You can adapt the new headlight from the later generation bikes (there is a thread about that) but still pricey.

All I can say is good luck and my sympathies....You may want to check some other dealers for pricing....some add handling up-charges to the MSRP from the factory, others do not.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 02:49 PM

the problem with a replacement headlight is the plug for the headlight is unique to MV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 09:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by number2 View Post
the problem with a replacement headlight is the plug for the headlight is unique to MV
.......I think the harness has an H4 plug and the bike uses an H7 bulb.....thus the adaptor......you can graft an H7 plug into the harness but then the spring clip won't hold the bulb correctly.......ask me how I know.......... that's the way my Brutale was

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2014, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post

You can adapt the new headlight from the later generation bikes (there is a thread about that) but still pricey.

All I can say is good luck and my sympathies....You may want to check some other dealers for pricing....some add handling up-charges to the MSRP from the factory, others do not.
I think I know the post you're talking about... it might be my best option.

To be honest, i was planning to sell the bike sometime this summer, so while on one hand I don't want to put any more money into it, I also want it to be perfect for its next owner.

I need something better suited for longer rides, and something that my girls aren't afraid to get on the back of.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

So I decided to contact my insurance company and explained what happened, and it looks like it falls under my collision coverage since I "hit" a sewer cover to cause the glass to fall and shatter. It would still be a $500 deductible, but it would mean getting the correct part. Thoughts?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 06:16 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by petethepianist View Post
So I decided to contact my insurance company and explained what happened, and it looks like it falls under my collision coverage since I "hit" a sewer cover to cause the glass to fall and shatter. It would still be a $500 deductible, but it would mean getting the correct part. Thoughts?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
G'day,

That's how I did mine. Actually fell out on a rail crossing. Headlight cost almost $1500au. and I had to pay $400 excess on insurance. Was the new model headlight and it comes with an adaptor plug.

Cheers

Deano
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2014, 06:23 AM

New Site Garage
Forgot to add that a clear headlight protector glues on nicely to the shell with windscreen sealant. You'd hardly tell the difference from a glance. I'd lend you my spare but the repairer had to keep it for three months (insurance thingy) and now they've gone into receivership so I've got to try and retrieve it.

Cheers

Deano
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 09:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
Forgot to add that a clear headlight protector glues on nicely to the shell with windscreen sealant. You'd hardly tell the difference from a glance. I'd lend you my spare but the repairer had to keep it for three months (insurance thingy) and now they've gone into receivership so I've got to try and retrieve it.

Cheers

Deano
Thanks deano, I had actually ordered the cover offered by designcorse, but cancelled it after a few emails indicating it wouldn't fit properly as a replacement to the glass.

As for the new headlight, how is the lowbeam bulb? I had intended to replace the stock lowbeam with a halogen, but after a few image seaches, it looks like this might not be an issue?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2014, 02:13 PM

I took the headlight assembly off and noticed the thing is very heavy. Does anyone make an assy that will fit in it's place that is less weight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode