click or tick noise? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

click or tick noise?

Hi, i had a great ride on the weekend, wearing no ear plugs and listening to the engine and noticed a 'click' or 'tick' noise I hadn't previously heard seemingly coming form the engine.

Happy for someone to tell it's normal - but I'm curious and a little concerned something might require attention. So here are the details -

Bike 1090RR currently has around 5000 kms .
Scenario 1 - 3rd gear, engine winding down between 3-4000rpm, roll throttle on 'click'.

Scenario 2 - 3rd gear, constant throttle around 4000rpm, single 'click' noise.

The noise does not happen all the time, only occasional, but possibly becoming more frequent (or I'm just listening for it now).

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on my 'click'.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 06:07 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Only in 3rd gear? Your bike has a slipper clutch?

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

yes slipper clutch. I can only say I have noticed it in 3rd - could be happening in other gears??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 06:22 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
If everything else seems normal and you are only hearing the odd sound under decel or accel initial load I would think it is the clutch and nothing to worry about....but I don't have a slipper clutch on my MVs, so not really familiar.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

thanks for your thoughts - comforting. Everything else seems ok, so I'll just keep a watchful ear.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 06:56 AM

New Site Garage
Yeah, I recon Ed might have something there, maybe just have a spin on those wheels to check hub and front wheel bearings, but if it's that loud then I'll agree with Ed.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

OK, will check the wheels also- thanks for the suggestion Donsy
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 08:47 AM

I've noticed the same thing. I'd describe it more like the sound of a valve flapping open/closed. Gear doesn't seem to matter for me, but it's always right after I twist the throttle and right before I feel the acceleration.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 09:56 AM

New Site Garage
Exhaust valve cable tension ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poon Stick View Post
I've noticed the same thing. I'd describe it more like the sound of a valve flapping open/closed. Gear doesn't seem to matter for me, but it's always right after I twist the throttle and right before I feel the acceleration.
I think the OP may be talking about something else but I certainly have exactly what you just said

"valve flapping open/closed. Gear doesn't seem to matter for me, but it's always right after I twist the throttle and right before I feel the acceleration"
all i can add is for me its a gear change and at the very start of acceleration so like a slow speed corner where you're intentionally changing gear and rolling on very slowly. I've not experienced it under heavy throttle when im riding like an idiot, although it would be harder to hear\feel then anyway

What concerns me is when it happens at slow speed turning a corner that half a second of lost power could make me drop the bike.

-----

Ive also had 2 other issues:

On 3 occasions my bike has been in 1st or 2nd (first i think) and pressing up to go up a gear feels like im in 6th gear. ~no movement have to drop the clutch and re pull so i can up gear

The other issue is a handfull of times (hasnt happened for a while) i've gone to second , and its slipped out to neutral. Someone on here indicated it could be a clutch spring but my clutch takes much more pressure than my old bike ever did

Ill see how it goes my bike only has about 5k on the clock ill get them to check it out next service, it could be me not engaging the gear or clutch positively enough, stuff wearing in, or something stuffed (hope nothing too serious)

Last edited by hotsuma; 06-10-2014 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode