Riding 750 Brutale, first impressions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Riding 750 Brutale, first impressions

8 weeks after buying the bike (2004 750 with 8000 miles on) my registration and road tax eventually dropped through the door last Thursday. The Friday weather was set for UK spectacular, everything was checked and adjusted so time to get the MV out onto the road for the first time.

Being used to a T595 Speed Triple with a raised bar conversion, I felt quite perched and set forward by comparison. The instant on or off response from the throttle made my progress feel a little jerky in traffic, but I soon got used to that. The most noticeable factor was my consistent search for a '7th' gear, the ratios feel very close and in fact I counted up from the bottom on several occasions just to make sure I was actually in 6th. There was a feeling of revving the nuts off it at relatively low speeds although the yowl from the standard exhaust system was delightful.

Once onto the motorway, progress was rapid and addictive. it was a warm day (20-24C) and cruising at the 80-85 mph mark, the engine temp settled around 74C. Moving off the motorway onto some fast A roads with familiar bends, never has a bike inspired so much confidence. I hadn't touched the suspension settings but as it came, it seems perfectly set up for me. For the first time I got a sense of what 'handles like its on rails' really meant and the Triumph isn't exactly a slouch in that department.

I did just over a 100 miles that day and in totally standard form, I love the way it performs. Everything just feels right and there is a little bit of the twist grip madness that I used to get on my Kawasaki 750 triple back in the seventies.

The only criticism I can level at the bike is that it feels a little cramped for my 6 foot frame. I plan to get some footrest lowering plates but its not a major issue. If my knees were in better shape I probably wouldn't notice it.

Looking forward to some more decent weather and more road miles on the MV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 01:47 AM
Established Member

I owned a 04 Brutale 750 seven years ago and recall moving up a tooth on the front sprocket to reel in the revs. Worked great, on and off the track. I tried both a chip, and power commander to solve the jerkiness. Both worked pretty well. Was very planted on the track and power was very controllable, giving plenty confidence. Perfect all around bike. I probably would have kept it if it had a bit more power. I was starting to get disappointed at tracks with long straights when the guys I worked past earlier pass me and have to start over again.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2014, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks for the advice B1078. I've actually managed to buy a microtec ECU and I'll add the link pipe to remove the cat get the set up dyno'd by Chris at X bikes later in the year. I can appreciate a lack of power on the track but its plenty for me on public roads

I've heard mixed reviews about adding an extra tooth on the front sprocket, I can imagine better wear characteristics on the chain, but some say it kills the get up and go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 01:48 PM

If you're having trouble remembering what gear you're in, what about fitting a gear indicator?
Both Sharon's and my Brutale have Gipro indicators fitted. Easy to fit, as they are 'plug and play', and we've never had a problem with a wrong gear being indicated. I fitted the indicator just below the clocks, between the handlebar clamps. Perfect fit.

Dave.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Hey Dave, there was actually a Puig gear indicator fitted when I first got the bike. I removed it because it was so poorly fitted and the lcd display was 'bleeding'. I'd appreciate a picture of your set up if you get a minute

Its not that I really forget what gear I'm in as changing up or down is always quite intuitive. However as I change up through the box it always feels as though I should still have another gear to go at the point I've already hit top. I think its just a case of getting used to the bike.

George
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 12:41 PM

Hi George,
I know the feeling about searching for that 7th gear. Even with the gear indicator, I still do it occasionally, but that's just stupidity on my part!!
Here's a photo of my set up. Under the Gipro, I glued a hard plastic wedge to get the angle just right, and routed the cable to the right and behind the cover to the front and just under the tank.
I hope this helps a bit. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, if you've got any.

Dave.
Attached Images

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 01:30 PM

Can't remember the company name but the chip from Australia is THE fix for 750's (and probably 910's as well).

Mileage went from 22mpg to 37-38mpg. MUCH better throttle response. Snatchiness gone! Mid-corner issues gone!

Harley-Davidson: Seen one, heard 'em all...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2014, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Hi Dave, thanks for the photo. Its a way neater fix than the one that came fitted to mine. However, I had forgotten about the Italian guy I contacted earlier this year. He integrates the gear indicator into your rev counter. Its pretty pricey at 195 euros plus shipping and you need to send him your dash. However turns around in 2 days and it looks like an original manufacturer's piece of equipment. Might go with that down the line but I have more pressing priorities.

Thanks for the suggestion Emmvee, I'm getting used to the throttle snatchiness and my first economy rough calculation suggests 35 mpg............perhaps I'm not riding it hard enough. I'll see what improvements I get from the microtec conversion later this year.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmvee View Post
Can't remember the company name but the chip from Australia is THE fix for 750's (and probably 910's as well).

Mileage went from 22mpg to 37-38mpg. MUCH better throttle response. Snatchiness gone! Mid-corner issues gone!
Seriously interested in this chip... my brutale has been averaging 80-90 miles per tank Probably my fault for how i ride it, but I'll take anything that can help. (OK, maybe a chip I can order from the US instead of Australia, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers).
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 03:03 PM

Hi there

just looking at your gipro gear indicator, would mine be a plug & play Brutale 750 ?

Regards,
brutale jockey

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode