MV Agusta Forum banner

LEAN ANGLE FAULT/MALFUNCTION on dash after startup

7K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Trevj 
#1 ·
Hi, had this question in New MEMBER are but thought i'd post here the specifics

Warning above comes on and after doing some research reading the workshop manual i find i am still not clear on whether the tilt sensor located under the seat is the sensor that maybe the cause of the "Lean Angle" fault coming up on the dash.

Also the Electrical diagram has #46 listed as "Lean angle sensor" for the Dragster

Is the "Lean angle sensor" the tilt sensor or are they two separate sensors ?.

I assume there is only one

From workshop manual
TILT SENSOR
The fall sensor (1) acts on the engine control unit, interrupting power when a vehicle tilt of more than 60°± 10°
for more than 3 seconds.

cheers

#2 ·
Older bikes have a "Tilt Sensor" or "Tip Over Switch" or "Bank Angle Switch" (Honda) or "Lean Angle Switch"..... and they are all basically the same thing, a mechanical swithc that will close (or open depending on design) interrupting power to something that will shut off the engine and (usually) the fuel pump.

Cars have these devices too, and they can be activated by a hard collision (not just going upside down).

Newer bikes have more sophisticated electronics that offer rider aids such as cornering ABS....these bikes have "Inertial Measuring Units" using electronic sensors to measure up to 6 axis of movement (space exploration has given us many things). This type of "Tilt Sensor" (etc) also is used to shut off the engine (and fuel supply) when the bike is no longer upright.

Most of the time these sensors are located in a central portion of the chassis, although not always....but all (regardless of naming convention) perform the same basic function.

The old "On-Off" switches are pretty reliable....not much that can go wrong and easy to test... analog.

The "IMU" is a very complicated device (digital) and normally involved with a Can-bus communication system. Any deterioration of the signal (think dirty connection) will cause problems.

#4 ·
From what I can tell, your 2017 Dragster has a simple tip over sensor. Check the manuals to be sure, but here is the parts catalog diagram. Note the "up" marking.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
Sensore di assetto

Saw the diagram's in the workshop manual myself with the "UP" marking and had the seat off last night but could not find
i'll have another look...
Wrong place
Look for Sensore di assetto part #10 in the diagram
Under the LH front cover.

Contact spray is your friend.

Used to be that baling wire chewing gum or a large stone was enough to fix earlier motocycles.
Then came the modern tools:
"<wbr style="color: rgb(84, 84, 84); font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); text-decoration-style: initial; text-decoration-color: initial;">If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape. If it should move and doesn't, use WD-40"
or use a hammer.
Nowadays
contact spray and dielectric grease are about all you need
or a mobile phone and credit card.

Attachments

#9 ·
@Arcimboldo: Is that wise to put your Credit Card information out there like that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.