Weekly problems thread - MVAgusta.net
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Weekly problems thread

2016 TV

Anyone have any ideas on how to replace this hose without pulling the fuel tank? Sigh....looks like someone took an exacto knife and sliced it perfectly open. It's literally right next to my fuel pump. I tried to do a progressive zoom out to zoom in so you could get an idea of the area I'm talking about.

Oh and I got a thorn in my rear tire that I have to patch. Do the problems ever end!?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 06:41 PM
Established Member

Location: A place without a postcard, lutruwita aka North Antartica
Arizona

If it helps at all, I have a friend who always says, 'don't sweat the small things.' I find cliches annoying, but I take his point. Some folk say 'shit happens'. More annoying cliches.

I have had a number of bikes that had seat or tank designs that made taking them off even more annoying than cliches. On more than one occassion that has discouraged me from taking off seat/tank and on more than one occassion I regretted not taking them off, and had to anyway.

There are manuals available for your bike on this site, I can't remember where, I think it took me a while to find it (TV), if you dinnay have one do a search. I have yet to take the tank off my TV, I suspect I will either be pleasantly surprised how easy it is, or not.

Make sure all cables, lines and hoses are free and have play when you put the tank back on, if it has to come off.

That thorn may not have even punctured your tyre? If it has, it is an easy fix, go to a car parts store that sells the super duper (not a brand name) glue, and get some of the little rubber bizzos, I have heard of them referred to as 'dog dick' plugs, and you should be sorted. Pull out thorn, glue bizzo, shove it in, leaving a bit sticking out. If you are a cyclist, you may have a floor pump.

I assume that 'looks like someone took an exacto knife' was a figure of speech, and that nothing untoward has happened?

I hope it goes well.

regards
Scott
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 08:40 PM

FIG looks more like a bad luck situation than a bad bike situation. Upside is usually after you fix small odd problems the bike will run for 50k without a hitch. its the way the motorcycle gods work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
FIG looks more like a bad luck situation than a bad bike situation. Upside is usually after you fix small odd problems the bike will run for 50k without a hitch. its the way the motorcycle gods work.
I like the way you think. I sure hope your right.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacStrine View Post
Arizona

If it helps at all, I have a friend who always says, 'don't sweat the small things.' I find cliches annoying, but I take his point. Some folk say 'shit happens'. More annoying cliches.

I have had a number of bikes that had seat or tank designs that made taking them off even more annoying than cliches. On more than one occassion that has discouraged me from taking off seat/tank and on more than one occassion I regretted not taking them off, and had to anyway.

There are manuals available for your bike on this site, I can't remember where, I think it took me a while to find it (TV), if you dinnay have one do a search. I have yet to take the tank off my TV, I suspect I will either be pleasantly surprised how easy it is, or not.

Make sure all cables, lines and hoses are free and have play when you put the tank back on, if it has to come off.

That thorn may not have even punctured your tyre? If it has, it is an easy fix, go to a car parts store that sells the super duper (not a brand name) glue, and get some of the little rubber bizzos, I have heard of them referred to as 'dog dick' plugs, and you should be sorted. Pull out thorn, glue bizzo, shove it in, leaving a bit sticking out. If you are a cyclist, you may have a floor pump.

I assume that 'looks like someone took an exacto knife' was a figure of speech, and that nothing untoward has happened?

I hope it goes well.

regards

Scott
Thanks buddy, yeah it punctured the tire...its the only thing I can see that would do it. I will definitely do what you mentioned.

And I'm trying to keep a level head but it's just literally problem after problem after problem with this thing...

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Well I took the tank off. I had to. Sigh...

Tell me someone didn't knife these lines!? I mean they are perfectly split. The sad thing is they don't even look like fuel line made for ethanol blended fuel. I am going to replace all the fuel lines with High quality fuel lines. I know they are just vapor but come on!!

They don't even look like the right size. The y fitting is massive and the outer diameter of the hose is the same as the outer diameter of the fitting! No clamps or anything either. That all will change.

A glimpse into the mystery box of WHY is that the previous owner deleted the carbon canister so he might have screwed things up when he was messing with the vapor system.

Not only one line was "sliced" but 2 of them failed the same way at the same time??

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Not the correct size but this is what I'm talking about. This hose is actually rated for use in the vapor system.

Anyone who is about to do a valve service replace these lines while your in their! They are so rubbery and pliable its laughable. New lines are reinforced and made for fuel.

And for people that like photos I took a bunch so you can discover what fun I am having! Haha

The last picture I posted is where the two vent hoses come out of the tank then they come into the Y and go into the lower split hose. I am ASSUMING that the lower hose goes to the use to be carbon canister....but if I don't have one where should it be connected? Pre throttle body or post? I didn't have any idling issues so my assumption is pre throttle body/airbox area. Since the latter would mean I would have a vaccumm leak. I guess I'll have to do more digging.

Last edited by Figifister; 11-10-2019 at 11:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Figifister For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 12:07 AM
Established Member

Location: A place without a postcard, lutruwita aka North Antartica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figifister View Post
Well I took the tank off. I had to. Sigh...Tell me someone didn't knife these lines!? I mean they are perfectly split. The sad thing is they don't even look like fuel line made for ethanol blended fuel. I am going to replace all the fuel lines with High quality fuel lines. I know they are just vapor but come on!! They don't even look like the right size. The y fitting is massive and the outer diameter of the hose is the same as the outer diameter of the fitting! No clamps or anything either. That all will change. A glimpse into the mystery box of WHY is that the previous owner deleted the carbon canister so he might have screwed things up when he was messing with the vapor system. Not only one line was "sliced" but 2 of them failed the same way at the same time??

Those lines have the look of a hose that has been forced onto something? Your startegy of fixing all the things that look like they may need it is most wise. If there is room, and a bike does not have a fuel filter on the line, I ususally bung one on while I am at it.

I may have misunderstood what you were saying, you do not run your bike on an ethanol fuel do you?
[email protected] likes this.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 12:53 AM

That looks like there has been some seriously hamfisted work going on there. The orientation of the fuel line connector going on to the red elbow is a major invitation for a broken fitting. Beware they are not strong.

In my garage: 2011 Brutale 1090RR, Triumph Street Triple R
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 08:39 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Here we go....

The only way to effect that repair, as you have discerned, is to remove the tank.

The way you have suspended your tank puts your fuel pump connector at risk of failure as they do become brittle. You should disconnect that quick release fitting and properly service the fuel pump plate.

If the previous owner did remove the charcoal canister, you will know because it won't be hanging off the right side near the radiator. The hoses circled in red must be plugged, or removed and the throttle bodies plugged at the read circles. After that operation, the bike should be remapped to compensate for the lost air flow into the throttle bodies from that path.

The green circled hoses would have been "wyed" together to a single drain line. That is where your splits occured. Those split were not "cut". It is simply heat and age related failure...nothing to do with ethanol. A simply single walled nitrile tubing of 5/16 inches is sufficient for this application. Using Fuel Injection hose that is not rated for engine heat exposure will cause additional failure and is an unnecessary expense.

Working on a bike while frustrated is the quickest way for something else to go wrong.

As for the advice to "bung in" another fuel filter...well, that is patently absurd. There is a high quality rated filter inside your tank along with an intake suction screen for additional protection. Adding an additional filter takes up space that isn't really available, adds at least two more failure prone connections and adds a component that is redundant. Why would you do that to yourself?!

Since you have the tank off, and the previous owner shows signs of a lack of Mechanical Sympathy, do yourself a favor and pull the fuel pump plate and see what is going on in there. You may save yourself a headache....and another Weekly Problem post... down the line.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  213.8 KB

This is where I put my pitch for you to add your bike model and year to your signature line so those of us who are trying to help don't have to go searching for it.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  218.7 KB

Gapalicious 2020 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from TENTATIVELYSept. 30-OCT.4, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode