TVL - F3 Engine Sputtering In Rain - MVAgusta.net
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
TVL - F3 Engine Sputtering In Rain

I wanted to check in if a sputter has been a know issue in the wet.

The bike developed the sputtering, idle falling off & stalling the last two trips in the rain. In stop and go city traffic it's PIA where the bike will not hold at idle. At higher RPMs the sputter goes away. It's like one cylinder is either not getting spark or lacks fuel at the lower rpms. The bike will re-start in the rain after a stall with the sputter. Shortly after the bike's out of the weather normal idle returns and all is good.

I am getting ready to swap out the fuel sensor and will have the tank off and wanted to see if there was something I might be missing to check. My thoughts are that one of the coil packs may be going bad or the connection not fully seated, an ignition wire is chaffed somewhere or the airbox is somehow letting water into the intake. If there is something else I should be looking at, point me wherever I should be looking.

I am no wrench, so any guidance appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 09:18 PM
Established Member

If you can hook the bike up to the diagnostics (dealer should have this) you should find a fault code that would identify where the problem lies.
Lorretto likes this.

2016 MV Agusta Turismo Veloce Lusso
2014 Husqvarna FE501
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 10:10 PM
Established Member

Location: A place without a postcard, lutruwita aka North Antartica
The joys of diagnostics. I recently spent a lot of time and money trying to resolve what semed like an electrical problem on a Kawa to discover that it was carburetion. The strategy you outline in your post is a good place to start, check all the easy & obvious things first. Replacing the fuel sensor without knowing it is faulty might be a waste? Maybe spend that money on spark plugs?

regards
Scott
Lorretto likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks for the input, appreciated.

The fuel sensor is intermittently throwing the fault code on the dash but unrelated to the sputter in the rain as far as I can tell. The fuel sensor error has been coming up for a while but has been resetting itself all on it's own so I haven't been all that anxious to pull the tank, which will be my first on the TV.

With the rain sputter issue, I was going to have strip the bike down to get the tank off anyway, so I was going deal with the fuel sensor while there. My thinking was to try and check out anything that may be leading to the rain sputter while the bike was stripped down. Nothing in the way of a diagnostic is showing up on the dash as a fault code other than the fuel sensor.

I knew sooner or later I would need to get a hold of a diagnostics tool. The ECU Studio tool looks like it would be able to read any of the codes so I'll probably go that route. The closest dealer to me is 180 miles away. So getting the dealer service will be my fall back if I can't get the issue sorted out. I'll try the simple stuff first as suggested and see if that results in any positive change, if nothing then head for the diagnostic tool and hope I don't need the dealer.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 07:27 PM
Established Member

For someone who is, as you yanks say, not a wrench, you ceratinly sound like you know what you are doing. I also have a TV, if you can locate the issue I am sure we would all appreciate being enlightened, as it may happen to one of us.

I am surprised at the scarcity of MV dealers in North America, although it sounds as though that is being resolved.

Good luck

regards
Scott
Lorretto likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 08:01 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Sounds like ignition misfire...water in the spark plug wells? Check the ignition coil seating on the plugs (take the tank off). Make sure the plug area can drain (small holes in the head that can become blocked). I will wager it is something very simple.

If you could run the bike with the tank off (make a long fuel hose and pump wiring extension), spray water mist around the ignition and duplicate the problem that way.....or do that in a dark room and look for the sparks!!!
Marko G. and Lorretto like this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
The Following User Says Thank You to esq'z me For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks for the tip on the plug wells. I didn't know there were drain holes. Seems like a really good place to start.

I was trying to think of a way of running the bike with the tank off. Glad you pointed me to it. I've got some quick connects, hose and should be able to rig up some power. My background is carbed bikes so EFI is new to me and the tank issue was one that had me scratching my head.

Mac will do on the post up on whatever I find. On the wrenching; tires, oil & brakes I am OK with. Generally, I can get the job done without hurting the bike and other some scrapes here & there myself included. Electrics are voodoo to me so this sputter thing is out of my comfort zone. I know it is a bad idea to just throw parts at the bike so I thought to check here first and give it a go at getting it sorted out.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 08:02 PM
Established Member

Any luck yet?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 07:57 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
As Ed has suggested, it will probably be something simple. Look at all of your electrical connections for cleanliness, tightness, corrosion...or evidence of water intrusion.
Lorretto likes this.

Gapalicious 2020 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from TENTATIVELYSept. 30-OCT.4, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 07:58 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
What maintenance was recently performed on the bike prior to the sputtering?
Lorretto likes this.

Gapalicious 2020 at
from TENTATIVELYSept. 30-OCT.4, 2020

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode