Major help needed. bike cuts out after starting. - MVAgusta.net
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Major help needed. bike cuts out after starting.

Hi there,

First of all, my name is Ersan, im from Scotland, and I am very new to this forum. Im in desperate need of some technical assistance regarding my Dragster 800 RR ABS 2016.

To cut to the chase... The bike was working very well when i bought it. it was at 3.5K miles, now its at 6.5k and about 1k ago the bike randomly started cutting out. This would happen sometimes when after i used the bike for 15 minutes and parked to go to the shop, and when i jumped back on the bike... after going 15-20 meters the bike just cuts out.. as if i pressed the kill switch. and to fix it, all i did was switch the ignition on and off and it fixed it for that entire day!

SO, this issue would happen every now and again and i lived with it...BUT over time it got worse and worse and it happend more and more frequently.. i start the bike, i wait on idle KNOWING that it would cut out... it cuts out... i turn the ignition off and on and off i go to work... this was the norm for me...

BUT NOW, its come to a point that i cant even ride the bike... i start the bike, after 5 seconds the bike shuts off... happens every time now. its completly unrideable.

i have done all the basic servicing.

Changed spark plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter. checked all the fuses, theyre all good.

the problem still persists.. i have no idea how to isolate the issue.. and im HOPING someone here would have the technical mind to help me....

Thank you,

Ersan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 05:47 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Any error message?

Do the lights go out, meter turn off? Or is it just the engine stops running?? And then starts right up once key is cycled on/off?

In gear? or in neutral? or doesn't make any difference?

Any chance you have water in your gas tank?

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:26 PM
Established Member

I had something similar happen to me on my F4 only to find the fuel pump was turning off when the bike was running. It primed fine but wasnt feeding fuel. I tested with another pump to have the same issue. Replaced the battery and can you believe it I havent had the same issue since.
esq'z me and silentservice703 like this.

'12 F4RR CorsaCorta, '12 F3 675
'18 Ducati Xdiavel
'15 Triumph Daytona 675R -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new toy

Previous-Sold...That I remember
'05 Yamaha R1
'09 Yamaha R1
'12 BMW S1000RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Any error message?

Do the lights go out, meter turn off? Or is it just the engine stops running?? And then starts right up once key is cycled on/off?

In gear? or in neutral? or doesn't make any difference?

Any chance you have water in your gas tank?

Lights go off 5 seconds after engine stops. Dashboard lights stay on, it can happen both in gear and neutral. And then yes, it pretty much starts up again once the key has been turned off and on. Im positive there is no water in the gas tank...

Last edited by x00m; 10-09-2019 at 11:57 PM.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav777 View Post
I had something similar happen to me on my F4 only to find the fuel pump was turning off when the bike was running. It primed fine but wasnt feeding fuel. I tested with another pump to have the same issue. Replaced the battery and can you believe it I havent had the same issue since.

Ive got a new battery but i havent put it in yet. ill do that as soon as i can and test again.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x00m View Post
Ive got a new battery but i havent put it in yet. ill do that as soon as i can and test again.
Please make sure your new battery is fully charged before installing it. --Have you been maintaining your current battery since you purchase your bike? Did the previous owner? I suspect you'll be fine with a fresh fully charged one. Going forward make sure you keep in charged when not in use.
esq'z me likes this.

E d w a r d B4910s08

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Please make sure your new battery is fully charged before installing it. --Have you been maintaining your current battery since you purchase your bike? Did the previous owner? I suspect you'll be fine with a fresh fully charged one. Going forward make sure you keep in charged when not in use.

I forgot to mention that the old battery has been maintained when necessary. And the same problem is there even after it has been left on charge over night.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 06:58 AM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by x00m View Post
I forgot to mention that the old battery has been maintained when necessary. And the same problem is there even after it has been left on charge over night.
May still be bad...Maintained when necessary means kept on a tender whenever the bike is not running. These bikes are very sensitive to battery voltage.

And a "new battery" will need to be fully charged with a proper charger (that means a de-sulfating type "smart" charger, not an automotive 2/10 amp dumb charger).

Do you own a voltmeter?

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
May still be bad...Maintained when necessary means kept on a tender whenever the bike is not running. These bikes are very sensitive to battery voltage.

And a "new battery" will need to be fully charged with a proper charger (that means a de-sulfating type "smart" charger, not an automotive 2/10 amp dumb charger).

Do you own a voltmeter?

I have a voltmeter, but the only issue is my new battery is a LifePo4 battery and my charger for that type of battery hasnt arrived yet.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 08:09 AM
Old Wing Nut

Connect voltmeter to battery and record voltage. Turn on key and record voltage. Press starter button and record voltage as starter turns engine. Allow idle to stabilize and record voltage.
Post results.

Don't install your new Lipo battery until it gets an overnight charge.
Kageira and falcn like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode