MV Agusta Forum banner

Starter might have seen better days?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  EBBO 
#1 ·
I have a 2015 Brutale 800rr and have one last gremlin to concur. She cranks over fine when could but barely cranks over when hot. I've upgraded my battery cables and have a brand new sprag and battery. I had this issue with a Kabota once which was rectified with a new starter. Apparently starters can get seizey when hot (if they are bad). I'm not sure if there is a good way of testing this on my bike before I order a $400+ dollar starter. If it wasn't for my Kabota experience I wouldn't even question the starter. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Mine cranks slowly when it's very hot, basically when the radiator is going in city traffic, if I shut the bike off again and try and start it soon over it cranks slowly. Li battery but everything else is stock. The dealer mentioned that the ecu update "should" fix that issue as it apparently relates to sprag problems as well. When was the last update you had?

#4 ·
My computer was updated when they put the sprag on back in late 18. It is difficult to see how a computer update will give the starter more power when hot unless the starter is not getting the same juice from cold to hot? This could be tested though, I could take the starter wire off the relay when hot and test the juice.) If there isn't a drop then it has to be the starter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.