MV Agusta Forum banner

Starting issues

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  silentservice703 
#1 ·
So my brutale 675 has a hard time starting in the morning after it has been cold at night. After the first start of the day it usually starts easier.
Anyone have experience with this? Is it a common issue?

#5 ·
Please describe how you are "attempting" to start your bike....

#6 ·
Do you have a lithium battery?

It is important to remember that both a normal AGM battery, as well as a lithium has significantly less cold cranking capacity when the battery is very cold. I have a lithium and when touring, camping and the temps get below 9 degree C then i have to go through a little 'warm up' routine to get things started.

One advantage of a lithium is that it heats up when current is drawn (chemical reaction etc). So i switch on the bike, put the heated grips on full and wait at least 10 minutes for the battery to warm up. Even then it may take two or three attempts at cranking before she starts (you will notice it cranking easier and easier at each attempt as the current draw heats the battery leading to more current being available). It might throw a sensor error (the rpm reached is not high enough to trigger ignition signal) but just keep on trying and she will start.

Not every hard start situation in the cold is a sprag issue. The above occurs with old and new sprag's.

PS: Lithium batteries have more cranking capacity available at lower temperatures than a comparable AGM.

#8 ·
Pressing the button: Do you hold the button for a decent period of time? How long?

Touching the throttle during the startup check will tell the ECU the TPS is misadjusted.

Reactions: PTsalas
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.