Spark plugs - MVAgusta.net
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Spark plugs

Anyone had to change their plugs on their engine? NGK lists the life span of 100k miles! I find this highly unlikely. MV says replace @ 18k mi

Put in the part number from MV into the NGK website and you'll see that the plug for our engine is the only listed application for the plug. So why would NGK list 100k mile service life, when the plug was specifically made for our engine and no other bike. (At least according to their website)

My bike is emitting some of the same symptoms of warn out plugs. On my CBR I changed to a colder heat range @10k mi.

I'm going to try a set of colder plugs 1 heat range cooler. Se if they last longer...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 04:28 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Iridium plugs will last 100k in cars...so why not bikes? Probably will IF your engine is tuned and running as clean as a modern car engine.

Not many bike engines run that clean.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)

Last edited by esq'z me; 08-26-2019 at 07:50 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Iridium plugs will last 100k in cars...so why not bikes? Probably will IF your engine is tuned and running a lean as a modern car engine.

Not many bike engines run that clean.
I suppose I contribute it to the heat. Leaner engines run hotter. Hotter plugs are better for cooler weather (easy starts) but a colder plug could make it last longer since it has less heat exposure around the core.

I know this isn't exactly right but i like to think of it as the hotter the plug the more the tip extends.(insert joke here) The colder the plug the less its protruded.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

In case anyone wants to do the same thing I am going with a CR8EIB9.

Good news on the cost as well they are cheaper than the 9's by a couple bucks each.

I will report back when I have some miles on them and if it solves my issues.

Keep in mind I ride in 100+ deg F every day so this may not be right for everyone. Ie: hard starting in very cold temps.

Last edited by Figifister; 08-26-2019 at 02:10 AM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 06:52 AM
Old Wing Nut

The spark plug heat range is not a factor in starting and ambient temperatures. Unless the heat range is too cold and therefor fouling from deposits on the insulator.

Combustion temperature is what drives spark plug heat range selection, not the air temperature you ride in.

A plug that is too hot will damage your engine. A plug that is too cold will fail from its inability to clean itself from combustion deposits (fouling).

The engineers that designed your engine chose a spark plug heat range based on the operating temperatures inside the combustion chamber.

Look carefully at the spark plugs that you remove from your engine. If the insulator is black or very dark in color then a hotter plug may be beneficial.

A spark pug which is running too hot will also have a shorter life span, besides potential engine damage.

Good luck with your experiment. Just out of curiosity, what did the plugs you removed look like? Care to post a photo?
Nito, Black_Gold_Saw and Mjvduc like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to nigelrb Send a message via Skype™ to nigelrb
I would love to ride a bike 100,000 miles just to test NGK's statement. I am no engineering/tuning authority, but it just seems so implausible to me. (and I do note Ed's comment above)

As Judge Judy says: 'If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is'!!

2007 MV F4 1000R
2020 CBR1000RR-R SP (on order) : 2018 CBR1000RR SP2 : 2003 CBR954RR : 2001 CBR929RR (Erion Racing Edition)
1985 Honda VF1000R : 1985 Honda NS400R
2020 Daytona 765 Moto 2 Replica (on order)
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:18 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figifister View Post
Anyone had to change their plugs on their engine?
I did it last year on 30000km, all day job, didn't want to disconnect tank so i lifted it. Airbox and all sensors needs to be removed, replaced with original CR9EIB9.
Attached Images

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 10:21 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Just out of curiosity, what did the plugs you removed look like? Care to post a photo?
Here is after 30000km of "veloce" tempo
Attached Images

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 02:51 PM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzaraxx View Post
Looks a bit worn, but the color is good !! Probably could have closed the gap back down to spec and gone another 30K !!
zzaraxx likes this.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzaraxx View Post
Cool thanks for sharing.

zzaraxx likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode