MV agusta F3 800 RC starting problems - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

MV agusta F3 800 RC starting problems

Hello,
Since 3 weeks I am the proud owner of a F3 800RC 2016. The bike is good as new with 1100 miles from the first owner.
First week went flawless, last week I noticed some trouble starting after getting gas, so decided to swap battery's to spare the spring clutch.
The battery I took out was a yuasa, so I think the last owner already swapped it at some point (and always used a battery charger)
The new battery is a lithium JML, double checked if they where compatible and I have the same one for my 2013 F4R and doesn't have any trouble there.
Extra charged the battery tonight just to be sure but no change.
Tried starting it in first gear with engaging clutch but it doesn't start or jumped back to neutral.
Is this the sprag clutch or some other issue?
The dash light comes on and I can start it for 2 / 6 times but no change.
Any tips would be greatly apriciated!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 05:58 AM

New Site Garage
Yes sounds like your sprag clutch is gone. Though I have no idea why the bike would automaticly kick itself into neutral.
Maybe make a short video and upload it to youtube and post it here. Might help the more technical folk out here.

So when you picked her up from previous owner it all worked perfectly fine, as in within 2 seconds time the engine turned over and ran idle?
Or did it take 5+ seconds to get engine turned over. If thats the case you bought the bike with a dying sprag clutch and now you sadly have to get it replaced. <- Let this work be done by a MV dealer.
Yes might be faster or closer by with a local shop. But local shops work with Kawasaki's, Yamaha's and Honda's. Barely to no knowledge on how to work on MV.

From your welcome posts it sounds like you can drop it off with a trailer. Firstly remove the side bodywork before you go. Spares an hour of labortime

"Mileena"
MV Agusta F3 675 '17 - Matt Avio Grey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 12:04 PM

Sounds like a sprag clutch issue. Solution = replacement.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode