F3 800 engine clutch basket update and engine vibration - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

F3 800 engine clutch basket update and engine vibration

I have TVL2016 and clutch basket update was recently performed by MV Dealer; W000W1373 CLUTCH HOUSING KIT (TSB 168).

I have noticed clear difference before and after clutch basket update; clear engine vibration appears when I'm driving roughly 4000-5500 rpm (with 4,5 or 6th gear). It gets even stronger when going uphill. The vibration is stronger when using 5th or 6th gear. On the plain road it decreases but it is still noticeable. When driving downhill or pulling the clutch it disappears. With 1st or 2nd gear I cannot tell if there is any difference.

With the old clutch basket (+ clutch cushion rubbers) I was able to keep 3500-4500 rpm as cruising speed (for smaller roads) without this stronger vibration. I have seen earlier pics from other members that the new design is more robust and heavier. Could that explain that it causes more vibration with low rpms? So you just need to keep higher rpms?

The clutch itself works perfectly. My bike had roughly 13 000 km when the clutch basket update was done and now I have 15 000 km, so 2000 kms with the new design.

I guess clutch would not work well if assembly work wasn't done properly? I tried advanced search but did not find these kind of symptoms reported. I have asked this from MV Dealer but not getting any answers. Also from the factory but they directed me back to the dealer.

-Varesedreamer-

TVL2016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 06:19 AM

I didn`t even know we had a proper dealer here i Finland

But, i would say take it back if its worse than it was! Not really an update if it takes you backwards?

F4 750 with Brutale 910S motor
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

TSB 168 was launched because of broken clutch basket "fingers". But I agree with you what comes to driving feeling.

-Varesedreamer-

TVL2016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

or better to say riding feeling

-Varesedreamer-

TVL2016
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 06:42 AM

New Site Garage
My 2015 Stradale had its clutch and clutch rubber done under S.B. #214 if I remember right. Same as S.B. #168 for the Tourismo. Its benn 3200km and no vibration what so ever.

Did you check your rear sprocket cush drive? Mine is prety close for replacement and I can feel a small vibration sometimes.

2015 MvAgusta Stradale
2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
2008CBR125R
1997 Kawasaki Concours 1000
1987 Honda XL600R
1988 Hawk GT 650
1984 Honda NightHawk 450
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Thx for your feedback Balou34. I did the rear sprocket cush drive update about 500 km before the clutch basket update was done. Changed from the original to BDS set and did not notice any difference concerning vibration. I still have the original set with new cushion rubbers so I could swap it back and see if it changes situation.

I know that there are several members who did the clutch basket update and would like to hear if they have noticed any difference. I have done some small regular maintenance work for my bikes but never assembled clutch system. I'm planning to do this if not getting any feedback from factory/dealer.

I'm not sure if it relates at all in this matter, but also hearing "marble ball rattling" when driving slowly. Not located the exact place but thinking that it comes from the left side of the engine. This occurs in both conditions; bike is cold and hot. e.g. when I'm turning and driving with 1st gear. Idle does not cause this noise. I have read that one potential reason could be hydraulic TC tensioner. Could loose TC cause also riding vibration?

-Varesedreamer-

TVL2016
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 01:15 PM

Does the noise change if you loosen the chain?

F4 750 with Brutale 910S motor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode