Identify this metal + F3 675 Transmission Removal - MVAgusta.net
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By esq'z me

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Identify this metal + F3 675 Transmission Removal

Hey guys,

I found a tiny piece of steel stuck on the magnetic drain plug on the last oil drain. I suspect it may be from the transmission (2012 F3 675). It is roughly 4mm long x 2mm wide by 1mm thick and magnetic as fck. There was some very light magnetic fuzz on the drain plug also, but nothing solid. It was only this one piece.

There is nothing in the oil filter (clean as a whistle after I cut it open), the oil has its usual aluminium glitter which I identified is coming from my slipper clutch inner hub.

I suspect it occurred after changing my clutch hub to the new part, after firing up the bike I letting it warm up. When shifting into 1st gear, it came with a loud clank. It could also be unrelated and just from wear & tear. Looks like a tiny piece of a shift dog? What do you think?

I've ridden the bike several times and pretty hard after this oil change. No issues or noise what so ever, shifts very smooth up and down. I plan to change the oil and inspect again soon , if there is any more metal on the drain plug I want to remove and inspect the transmission. If its clean I'll leave it and keep running it.

Suppose I wanted to take out the transmission, would I need any special tools. I know the manual spec's some special items like a transmission stand, but would I be able to remove and inspect without them? I've got the usual tools to remove the clutch so mainly worried about anything special and if I could get the job done without it. More worried that once I take it out, without a stand I risk everything coming apart and I end up with a pile of gears to try make sense of.

Last edited by silentservice703; 05-04-2019 at 04:09 PM. Reason: To correct the engine displacement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:14 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Yes, that could be a chip off a gear dog or tooth...not likely anything else. As long as the transmission gives no problems and the next oil change is clean I would try to forget about it.
theknurl and revhead1957 like this.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
The Following User Says Thank You to esq'z me For This Useful Post:
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:38 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up ?

Could be from anywhere in the motor.......it all drains into the oil pan

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode