Draagster RC - Stock Exhaust Fitting Issue - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fishcookie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Draagster RC - Stock Exhaust Fitting Issue

Hi team,

I've done a bit of TLC work the last two days and have been stumped on the final hurdle, and looking for some advice.

So, to start, the Dragster RC had the SC Project on the machine from day one. Lovely...
The exhaust valve servo has been failing over the past couple of months, so I decided to remove it, fit the eliminator and all is well. Except for the volume for city folk.

With winter here, its time to go back to stock exhaust and be a bit stealthier.
The SC Project came off no problem, but I cannot for the life of me fit the unused stock exhaust back into the gap. I suspect all that heat has adjusted the gaps etc.

What is my best approach on this 2018 Dragster RC?

I will attack tomorrow, fresh, with some of that Italian silver exhaust lube that came with the SC Project pipe. Any tips appreciated.

Sea Dog. ⚓️
Attached Images

MVBERT likes this.

A swashbucklin' Scurvy Dog who Dragster Arrrgggh C's in New Zealand. ⚓

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Perhaps this No.124 is just saying NO to such restriction and Moped like volumes?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:55 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
You are just fitting form the headers back, yes?

In my experience, exhaust systems require some persuasion to fit. Use the lube, be gentle with her, wiggle the inserted component until it slides home nicely.......

Patience is key

What is the fitment issue? Length? Width? Orientation?

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thanks oh silent one, I suspected this could be the case.

Fitment fits into outer but struggling with inner. Maybe it's expanded outward after befriending the Titanium?

Patience was running thin with this heavy awkward beast, so will crack on fresh tomorrow. The stock exhaust does look nice, very Flash Gordon.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:40 AM

Could be heat expansion......

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:59 PM

New Site Garage
Hi Sea Dog,

I was under the impression that new RC's come 'stock' with the SC Project exhaust ("the Dragster RC had the SC Project on the machine from day one"). Did the "the unused stock exhaust" you want to install come with the bike? If no, it might be worthwhile to research the exhaust part numbers from your RC and from the model the "unused stock exhaust" is dedicated to. Yes, it may be a long shot, but considering MV Agusta's claims of improved performance of your RC, it might be revealing.

For what it's worth, I installed a SC Project exhaust on my RC, re-fitted the OEM stock exhaust (for inspection), then re-installed the SC Project... with no fitment issues / 'was easy. (If you're interested, I did a comparison of the OEM stock and SC Project exhausts: https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/53-br...1-ti-slip.html.)

Good Luck, Sea Dog!
M Squared
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 02:25 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
I think the SC exhaust comes in the wooden "Goodie Box" with the RC.... the dealer probably installed yours during set-up just expecting that anyone buying the bike would want it on anyway....

Not sure the SC pipes pass homologation regulations in all countries.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '08 TT-R110 (Buster) Pam's ride, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentservice703 View Post
Could be heat expansion......
This is my bet too.
I'm going to free the rear end with the wheel off, then go again if the glory hole is found.

How do we un-heat expansion lol? Winter is coming here in NZ, but fear winter alone will not shrink her!

Thanks team.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
News from the Small Island off the Coast of Australia..... We have success. The Easter Bunny Saved Me!

A fresh mechanic in pyjamas checked all the parts involved in the conundrum, and measured up. It turned out that the stock connection was not round, and this did not help when trying to slip this heavy beast in such a tight space. Even with extra Italian Lube! We were being Stalloned.

Today' Operation Glory Whole Plan:
Rear wheel off, right peg off, belly pan, and stock exhaust mounting removed. (Everything that could be in the way!)
Be patient.
Treat her nice.
Plenty of fancy silver lube and tease how she likes it.

After 10 mins of teasing it and a few growls, it engaged to half the fitting. After learning the new way of the exhaust, by willing it, feel, twist, push, breathing, and of course ye lucky mallet tap here and there, she looked pretty good... but at 45 degrees.

To avoid a fail whale, the rear wheel went back in while it could fit, then by twisted her up to vertical carefully and forcefully at the same time, this stock exhaust was not coming out...

I'll take her out for a wee stealth exhaust run in the morrow, and check for any leaks or issues.

@Silent Service: you were spot on. One must learn and be at one with the exhaust. Patience was the No.1 requirement.

Any recommendations after noting the exhaust connector was not perfectly round?
Run her hot and break her in for a week, then take a look?

I will definitely feel naked without the SC Project road safety feature. Captain.⚓️
Attached Images

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 06:59 AM

AH, I have learned over many years that everyone's equipment is slightly different. Depending on who/what is receiving and who/what is giving, some manipulation, cajoling and courage must me used to ensure a tight and satisfactory experience in the end....

Glad you were able to fit the oval pole into the round hole!

Gapalicious 2019 at
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Email/Paypal:

'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode