Sprag clutch needed - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Question Sprag clutch needed

Hi,

My 2015 Stradale was difficult to start yesterday and won't start today all pointing to the sprag. New battery and even in series with other good batteries it won't start. It spins quickly just but just not happening; I have tried the clutch in a bit (switch) and still no so, armed with info I have from this excellent forum I called the dealer who is waiting for recall parts anyway.

The sprag clutch is out of stock with MV and therefore we don't know when there will stock; 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months (2years?!?!?!).

I use the bike for teaching so it's essentially a tool (a fancy one) for a job and I am stuck. I'm partly thinking that I should buy another bike (FFS!) to continue my work and sell this one once it's fixed but it could be the only problem ever with the bike which is ideal for the tasks I need it for.

Does anyone have access to the parts so that I can trailer my bike to the dealers (2 1/2 hours away) with the parts for them to fix?

Can you hear the desperation from the other side of the planet (for most of you)?

Any help, thoughts or contacts welcome.

2015 Stradale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 05:32 AM

I purchased the sprag unit from Evolutionbike around 6months ago. Still have it standing by incase the one in my Dragster fails.
I would check with Evolution first as they always seem to get parts quicker than dealers....at least in my experience.
Attached Images

Dragster 800 2015
F4 RR 2013
Brutale 1090 RR 2011 - Sold
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:46 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
Hi,

My 2015 Stradale was difficult to start yesterday and won't start today all pointing to the sprag. New battery and even in series with other good batteries it won't start. It spins quickly just but just not happening; I have tried the clutch in a bit (switch) and still no so, armed with info I have from this excellent forum I called the dealer who is waiting for recall parts anyway.

What spins quickly? What is not happening?

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:15 AM

MV have a new and improved sprag. Are they in stock? Who knows but check with startwin and evolution bike.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:05 PM

New Site Garage
I'm also in need of a new one but for a 2014 Brutale b3.

I contacted bike parts mv but they ran out. Might be another 3-4 weeks till they get new stocks.

Anyone have any ideas where to source the sprag?

-------------------------------

Incase this helps anyone - i emailed [email protected] to ask for the latest part number and they said 8000C4242 is the latest part# (As of march 2019)
JerryJoose likes this.

2014 MV Agusta Brutale 800
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 04:25 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
Hi,

The sprag clutch is out of stock with MV and therefore we don't know when there will stock; 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months (2years?!?!?!).

I use the bike for teaching so it's essentially a tool (a fancy one) for a job and I am stuck. I'm partly thinking that I should buy another bike (FFS!) to continue my work and sell this one once it's fixed but it could be the only problem ever with the bike which is ideal for the tasks I need it for.

Does anyone have access to the parts so that I can trailer my bike to the dealers (2 1/2 hours away) with the parts for them to fix?

Can you hear the desperation from the other side of the planet (for most of you)?

Any help, thoughts or contacts welcome.

Are you sure it's the sprag.You said the motor is spinning.Doesn't that mean the sprag is engaging and doing it's job?
When the sprag fails you would hear a metallic clunking/grinding noise.Is that happening?
You may have a different problem why it won't start.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:10 PM

New Site Garage
I think what he's describing is also the same with me. The starter motor juts keeps on spinning but the sprag clutch is not engaging

2014 MV Agusta Brutale 800
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:43 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV-Aug8 View Post
I think what he's describing is also the same with me. The starter motor juts keeps on spinning but the sprag clutch is not engaging
OK,thanks for explaining that.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Mobile-0423041326
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

New Site Garage
Hi,

So the starter is working, the engine spins and there is a mechanical clunk (sounds horrible). The speed it's spinning would easily (usually) start her.

I started a few weeks ago but VERY intermittent but worsened.

Almost certainly Sprag.

Is the 'new one' different or just a replacement? What other parts are usually replaced with this?

Thanks for the help guys.

2015 Stradale
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:50 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Now itís clear,typical sprag failure.
Why donít you see if Ďjhollisí will sell you his?

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Mobile-0423041326

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode